The Student Room Group

Head office email

Does anyone know sainsburys head office email please. My employer is refusing to pay me for company sick pay even though I am eligible for SSP and sick pay having worked a combined total of 2 years 8 months at Sainsbury’s. Me not being in the right frame of mind in terms of my mental health and being stressed whilst struggling to eat I feel rushed and uncomfortable in the need to go back to work to earn and make money without resolving issues causing my mental health to be all time low. Does anyone know and what advice to give to claim my company sick pay before the cut off date next weekend.
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mohammed_80
Does anyone know sainsburys head office email please. My employer is refusing to pay me for company sick pay even though I am eligible for SSP and sick pay having worked a combined total of 2 years 8 months at Sainsbury’s. Me not being in the right frame of mind in terms of my mental health and being stressed whilst struggling to eat I feel rushed and uncomfortable in the need to go back to work to earn and make money without resolving issues causing my mental health to be all time low. Does anyone know and what advice to give to claim my company sick pay before the cut off date next weekend.

Have you read the information at https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay ? In particular, see the page on "How to claim" at https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/how-to-claim
Original post by martin7
Have you read the information at https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay ? In particular, see the page on "How to claim" at https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/how-to-claim

Yeah I’ve read that, that’s SSP I’m eligible for that but they don’t handle company sick pay I’m eligible for that too for nearly 3 years of service I don’t know what it means by x4 contracted hours per week as maximum amount but it’s company sick pay that I need. But so far my employer has handled my absence as sick unpaid…
(edited 11 months ago)
Yeah I’ve read that, that’s SSP I’m eligible for that but they don’t handle company sick pay I’m eligible for that too for nearly 3 years of service I don’t know what it means by x4 contracted hours per week as maximum amount but it’s company sick pay that I need. But so far my employer has handled my absence as sick unpaid…

You will need to check the Sainsbury policy regarding Company sick pay. Ask your Manager (or HR) to show you a copy and / or to explain to you why they are not paying it. It is just possible you are not entitled to it, but if that is the case they will be able to tell you why they put you as unpaid.
Edited to add;
The Sainsbury website link does say; Finally, as a Sainsburys employee, you are also entitled to full sick pay, albeit for a maximum of three sick days per year. https://www.oursainsburysuk.com/sainsburys-benefits-employee-discounts#:~:text=Full%20Sick%20Pay%20at%20Sainsburys.%20Finally%2C%20as%20a,disciplinary%20action%20unless%20you%20have%20a%20good%20excuse.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by bamtutor
You will need to check the Sainsbury policy regarding Company sick pay. Ask your Manager (or HR) to show you a copy and / or to explain to you why they are not paying it. It is just possible you are not entitled to it, but if that is the case they will be able to tell you why they put you as unpaid.

But I am entitled to it for me to be eligible I must have done at least 6 months of service which I have across 2 different spells
Reply 5
Yeah I’ve read that, that’s SSP I’m eligible for that but they don’t handle company sick pay I’m eligible

Apologies, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I agree with @bamtutor -- you need to check Sainsbury's policy and ask why you are not receiving it.

What I do wonder about is your initial statement that you have "worked a combined total of 2 years 8 months at Sainsbury’s". Does that mean you have separate periods of employment (with breaks between them) that total 2 years 8 months? It might be that your entitlement to company sick pay only begins after a specific period of continuous employment, and a break in continuous employments sets that counter back to zero.
Original post by martin7
Apologies, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I agree with @bamtutor -- you need to check Sainsbury's policy and ask why you are not receiving it.

What I do wonder about is your initial statement that you have "worked a combined total of 2 years 8 months at Sainsbury’s". Does that mean you have separate periods of employment (with breaks between them) that total 2 years 8 months? It might be that your entitlement to company sick pay only begins after a specific period of continuous employment, and a break in continuous employments sets that counter back to zero.

I worked at one store for 2 years between 2020-2022 before resuming in 2022-2023 as I worked in another place for 7 months.
(edited 11 months ago)
I worked at one store for 2 years between 2020-2022 before resuming in 2022-2023 as I worked in another place for 7 months.

It's unlikely your previous time with the company will have any bearing on things as you were out of contract with them for 7 months - you're basically starting afresh in your most recent contract (unless you were on a zero hours contract the whole time and just didn't take any shifts in that 7 months, although that may also affect your entitlement to benefits).

As above, you should reach out to your HR representative to query your contractual benefits. Note also that even if they do find you are eligible for the sick pay you weren't previously paid, this will normally get added to payroll in arrears, so depending when the payroll cutoff is each month this may not even be paid to you until the end of June anyway. So if you need that money imminently, you might need to manage your expectations about that.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
It's unlikely your previous time with the company will have any bearing on things as you were out of contract with them for 7 months - you're basically starting afresh in your most recent contract (unless you were on a zero hours contract the whole time and just didn't take any shifts in that 7 months, although that may also affect your entitlement to benefits).

As above, you should reach out to your HR representative to query your contractual benefits. Note also that even if they do find you are eligible for the sick pay you weren't previously paid, this will normally get added to payroll in arrears, so depending when the payroll cutoff is each month this may not even be paid to you until the end of June anyway. So if you need that money imminently, you might need to manage your expectations about that.

I started a 12 hour contract before it got extended to 24 hours per week. Payroll cut off on the 27th of May…
I started a 12 hour contract before it got extended to 24 hours per week. Payroll cut off on the 27th of May…

if you were out of contract, the count will reset when you start a new contract, including the 'first six months' rule. So if you have only been on this new contract for 7 months, only the last month is in the count.
Original post by threeportdrift
if you were out of contract, the count will reset when you start a new contract, including the 'first six months' rule. So if you have only been on this new contract for 7 months, only the last month is in the count.

Nope I wasn’t out of contract my role and position was permanent on a part time basis.

Nope I wasn’t out of contract my role and position was permanent on a part time basis.

So was the gap you mention here the period you were off sick? If you weren't employed by Sainsbury's in the gap between these periods, then the first period doesn't count for sick pay purposes, only the second period does.
So was the gap you mention here the period you were off sick? If you weren't employed by Sainsbury's in the gap between these periods, then the first period doesn't count for sick pay purposes, only the second period does.

Second period
Second period

So SSP is only calculated on the second period of employment. The first period is irrelevant.
So SSP is only calculated on the second period of employment. The first period is irrelevant.

Why wouldn’t they give company sick pay though.
Reply 15
Why wouldn’t they give company sick pay though.

What does your staff handbook say about company sick pay?
Reply 17

That's a document issued by a trade union, and on the first page it says "Executive Council Statement to the 2009 ADM".

So it's a document that wasn't issued by Sainsbury's and is at least 13 years old. It's quite possible that it no longer accurately represents Sainsbury's policies.

Do you have a copy of Sainsbury's staff handbook -- or access to an online (and current) version of it? Perhaps Sainsbury's has a staff-only website that contains it.
Original post by martin7
That's a document issued by a trade union, and on the first page it says "Executive Council Statement to the 2009 ADM".

So it's a document that wasn't issued by Sainsbury's and is at least 13 years old. It's quite possible that it no longer accurately represents Sainsbury's policies.

Do you have a copy of Sainsbury's staff handbook -- or access to an online (and current) version of it? Perhaps Sainsbury's has a staff-only website that contains it.

I’ll have a look but I’m unsure and I doubt it, I couldn’t find anything.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending