The Student Room Group

Cambridge College for Law

hi! i'm applying to cambridge for law very soon (i've just sat my LNAT) and i'm divided between two colleges: clare and sidney sussex. i'm an international student and currently studying in an independent school in the UK! i'm not sure which to pick, because i've heard clare is quite competitive and gets a lot of applications + they have a slightly lower acceptance rate for law than sidney. i like both, generally do prefer clare's grounds because i think they're gorgeous, and i do like that they have more ensuites. i also like sidney's location (right in front of sainsbury's which is a huge convenience). i'm afraid my grades might not be competitive enough to go up against the many people applying to clare, but at the same time i figured there'll be people applying strategically to sidney because of their higher acceptance rates. what should i do? thanks a lot! (edit, i wasn't sure how TSR worked and it seems like i accidentally started a whole new thread 😭 sorry about that, if that's not what i'm supposed to do!)
(edited 6 months ago)
Admissions stat differences between colleges are irrelevant, as if you are "Cambridge material" there are processes in place to ensure you will be considered fairly by other colleges (the pooling systems). If your grades are competitive enough for Sidney Sussex they are competitive enough for Clare. There is one singular case where the college you apply to may disadvantage you in getting into Cambridge, and that's maths at Trinity.

It's really not that far from any grocery place for the central and Sidgwick colleges honestly so I wouldn't put too much weight on Sainsbury's location. Also you can have groceries delivered by deliveroo if desired. Plus, that Sainsbury's sucks because everyone goes there and it's always megabusy as a result...I used to avoid it like the plague if I could when I lived there :/

I imagine Sidney Sussex has other benefits than just Sainsbury's location so try looking into those :wink:
Original post by kaisagi
hi! i'm applying to cambridge for law very soon (i've just sat my LNAT) and i'm divided between two colleges: clare and sidney sussex. i'm an international student and currently studying in an independent school in the UK! i'm not sure which to pick, because i've heard clare is quite competitive and gets a lot of applications + they have a slightly lower acceptance rate for law than sidney. i like both, generally do prefer clare's grounds because i think they're gorgeous, and i do like that they have more ensuites. i also like sidney's location (right in front of sainsbury's which is a huge convenience). i'm afraid my grades might not be competitive enough to go up against the many people applying to clare, but at the same time i figured there'll be people applying strategically to sidney because of their higher acceptance rates. what should i do? thanks a lot! (edit, i wasn't sure how TSR worked and it seems like i accidentally started a whole new thread 😭 sorry about that, if that's not what i'm supposed to do!)

Choose Sidney. Good luck
I'm at Sidney, not doing Law though, and I'd definitely recommend it, but Clare's pretty nice too so you're not in a bad position either way.
Original post by kaisagi

As someone who chose sidney purely based on admissions statistics (I'm also 2024 entry) - I feel like you might be right about lots of people strategically applying there...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending