The Student Room Group

CTM at Sainsbury's

Hi, I'm currently working night shift at Sainsbury's. One of my mates who worked with me moved up to a manager role and said I should also look into it. I'm just wondering, what does a CTM even do and do I have what it takes?

*CTM = Customer and Trading Manager
Reply 1
Ask HR/Recruitment at Sainsbury's for more info on the role and requirements.
Reply 2
Bit late to the convo here, but a sainsburys CTM in local stores, here. Let me know if you still want to know anything.
Original post by AOC9527
Bit late to the convo here, but a sainsburys CTM in local stores, here. Let me know if you still want to know anything.

Did you progress into management from within Sainsburys, eg work your way up? If so, what was the process like?
Reply 4
I started as a colleague, and was multi skilled pretty quickly by my managers. I did a lot of overtime, and the main reason I was considered for promotion was that I took control of a situation when the cover manager running the store was struggling to deal with it. I was promoted two months into working for sainsburys. I did my interview with another store manager in the area cluster, which was pretty straightforward and (without giving too much away) focusses on attitude towards people and the base management behaviours and initiative. I stepped up to full time when I was promoted, as I had the time to do so, on the understanding I'd he transferring stores upon my return to uni. I was lucky that my manager was completely fine with this. I completed 4 weeks of pre appointment training, where you should cover: cash office and handling, scheduling and pay management, running a store, safe and legal processes, housekeeping, and a few other bits. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Original post by AOC9527
I started as a colleague, and was multi skilled pretty quickly by my managers. I did a lot of overtime, and the main reason I was considered for promotion was that I took control of a situation when the cover manager running the store was struggling to deal with it. I was promoted two months into working for sainsburys. I did my interview with another store manager in the area cluster, which was pretty straightforward and (without giving too much away) focusses on attitude towards people and the base management behaviours and initiative. I stepped up to full time when I was promoted, as I had the time to do so, on the understanding I'd he transferring stores upon my return to uni. I was lucky that my manager was completely fine with this. I completed 4 weeks of pre appointment training, where you should cover: cash office and handling, scheduling and pay management, running a store, safe and legal processes, housekeeping, and a few other bits. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for the reply on this. I’m just looking to get an insight on what management is like, and the training involved since I have a keen interest in working my way up to be one, and just want to get to know as much as I can.
Reply 6
Training is pretty straightforward. You cover some additional incident processes like fire procedures, you do employee relations, disciplinary process training, attendance management, different stock tracking processes, and various reports that you act on during a shift.
Original post by AOC9527
Training is pretty straightforward. You cover some additional incident processes like fire procedures, you do employee relations, disciplinary process training, attendance management, different stock tracking processes, and various reports that you act on during a shift.

Thank you. I presume it’s something you complete online, similar to the training style that band 2 colleagues get? In addition to this, do other managers coach you along the way or is it more of an independent thing?
Reply 8
Original post by Pandabear02
Thank you. I presume it’s something you complete online, similar to the training style that band 2 colleagues get? In addition to this, do other managers coach you along the way or is it more of an independent thing?

When you get promoted to CTM, you get assigned about 50 courses. Some take minutes, some take 2+ hours. Your store manager should be with you basically the whole time, as pre appointment is free labour for the store, anyway. My process was pretty involved, and I covered most of the topics in person before I got around to the online course.
Original post by AOC9527
When you get promoted to CTM, you get assigned about 50 courses. Some take minutes, some take 2+ hours. Your store manager should be with you basically the whole time, as pre appointment is free labour for the store, anyway. My process was pretty involved, and I covered most of the topics in person before I got around to the online course.

Thank you for answering some of my questions, I appreciate your time to respond to them, it has helped a lot to understand what it’s like and it’s just nice to get a bit of info on it all.
Original post by AOC9527

Hi, same person here from before, what do you know about getting promoted into management from being a regular trading assistant colleague? Is it easy to progress into management, and what would the correct steps to take be?
Reply 11
I got promoted from colleague in the local stores. I would say would say to just do the basics really well. Really get to know the store and the team (bare in mind you are likely to move stores on promotion) and take initiative when you can to achieve what your manager asks of you. If you are concerned that you aren't getting anywhere with that approach, be direct with your manager and ask what their thoughts are on your progression goals, and discuss how they can help you get there (if you are comfortable with that)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending