The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream SDIP 2020/2021

Scroll to see replies

Just an update for anyone else who did not receive a phone call at their scheduled time slot; the Fast Stream team responded to my email within a couple of days and a day or so later have offered me a new interview slot next week.

Regarding the hoo-ha about interview questions...there is no reason to attempt to pressure anyone to divulge interview information they do not want to share. We all have universities with careers departments, you would be much better off seeking help there. On the other hand, it is understandable that people are nervous and hoping for as much info as they can get. Reporting to the recruiters seems a little heavy handed, but obviously that is a decision that rests with those involved.
Reply 41
Original post by FutureTuition
Just an update for anyone else who did not receive a phone call at their scheduled time slot; the Fast Stream team responded to my email within a couple of days and a day or so later have offered me a new interview slot next week.

Regarding the hoo-ha about interview questions...there is no reason to attempt to pressure anyone to divulge interview information they do not want to share. We all have universities with careers departments, you would be much better off seeking help there. On the other hand, it is understandable that people are nervous and hoping for as much info as they can get. Reporting to the recruiters seems a little heavy handed, but obviously that is a decision that rests with those involved.

Specifically, I had someone message and pretend to have had their interview to manipulate questions out of me. I’ve answered everyone else with good advice, but I won’t be manipulated. I did email SDIP about it, I didn’t include the individual’s name nor identifying factors. I simply pointed out that it is an issue in their recruiting process, and to possibly randomise questions per interview or to monitor threads in the same way universities do. I do not consider that “heavy handed” when someone tried to manipulate me and multiple others. I also think I handled it with tact to the recruiters by not giving names, and generalising the issue.
Hi everyone,I went through the SDIP application process last year. My internship, that was supposed to take place this summer with the MoD, was cancelled due to COVID-19. As I had graduated, the Civil Service put me on a reserve list. They would periodically send me vacancies which I could apply for (these were not widely advertised). Off the back of this, I've recently been offered a fixed-term EO position with another department, which I have accepted. This will replace my internship that was due to take place next summer. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the process. :smile:
Original post by MvcLaw
Can I just start by saying how disgusted I am by some of the behaviour of people on this thread? I’ve had people message me, asking for interview questions and people PRETENDING to have had their interviews, to make me discuss questions with them.

This behaviour is unacceptable, and is cheating. I will be emailing SDIP recruitment about this, it is truly an insult to the scheme that focuses on equality and diversity for people to cheat so unfairly.

Please report these PMs too.

Amazes me how people are this desperate - they practically tell you what's going to be asked in the interview inside the candidate brief anyway. Competency-based interviews are in no way unique to the Civil Service and used pretty much everywhere too.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Blue_Cow
Please report these PMs too.

Amazes me how people are this desperate - they practically tell you what's going to be asked in the interview inside the candidate brief anyway. Competency-based interviews are in no way unique to the Civil Service and used pretty much everywhere too.

To be clear, I don’t have an issue with people asking for advice or people being nervous. That’s natural. But it’s the outright laziness, deception and lies that irritate me.
Btw guys there is another thread for SDIP which I made a while ago!
Original post by MvcLaw
Can I just start by saying how disgusted I am by some of the behaviour of people on this thread? I’ve had people message me, asking for interview questions and people PRETENDING to have had their interviews, to make me discuss questions with them.

This behaviour is unacceptable, and is cheating. I will be emailing SDIP recruitment about this, it is truly an insult to the scheme that focuses on equality and diversity for people to cheat so unfairly.

I've had this issue also! Did you report it?
Reply 47
Original post by tsrpol
I've had this issue also! Did you report it?

I emailed SDIP recruitment about it, I didn’t specify any usernames - I just said it was a general issue that could be addressed by randomising interview questions or monitoring threads in order to respect the fairness the scheme represents.
Original post by MvcLaw
I emailed SDIP recruitment about it, I didn’t specify any usernames - I just said it was a general issue that could be addressed by randomising interview questions or monitoring threads in order to respect the fairness the scheme represents.

Knowing what questions will be asked will not necessarily give someone an advantage. The interview email sets out which competencies will be assessed. Knowing the questions in advance does not mean that someone will give an answer that successfully conveys they have the competencies they are looking for. In the name of fair recruitment, they have to ask every candidate the same questions. The best thing to do is ignore people who ask for the questions in advance - having been through several CS interviews, I can honestly say it won't really make a difference.
Reply 49
Original post by AstriaLumenia
Knowing what questions will be asked will not necessarily give someone an advantage. The interview email sets out which competencies will be assessed. Knowing the questions in advance does not mean that someone will give an answer that successfully conveys they have the competencies they are looking for. In the name of fair recruitment, they have to ask every candidate the same questions. The best thing to do is ignore people who ask for the questions in advance - having been through several CS interviews, I can honestly say it won't really make a difference.

I see your point, but if I’d have known the questions then I can guarantee I’d have given stronger answers. Plus if it supposedly doesn’t make a difference, then there’s no harm in making them aware.
Reply 50

The person didn't ask, they lied and said they had their interview and wanted to discuss it. If I'd have known all the questions in advance then I would have had an advantage. I've had several Cs interviews and to have all the questions would definitely be an advantage. I would have sounded more much professional instead of ermming all the time and getting nervous because my mind goes blank.
The person became more manipulative and went on to ask people to publicly accept their apology because it caused them great anguish. It was pretty disgusting. They've said they've left tsr but I'm sure they've just got a new account. I hope that other people haven't experienced the same thing since.
Original post by Plain1
The person didn't ask, they lied and said they had their interview and wanted to discuss it. If I'd have known all the questions in advance then I would have had an advantage. I've had several Cs interviews and to have all the questions would definitely be an advantage. I would have sounded more much professional instead of ermming all the time and getting nervous because my mind goes blank.
The person became more manipulative and went on to ask people to publicly accept their apology because it caused them great anguish. It was pretty disgusting. They've said they've left tsr but I'm sure they've just got a new account. I hope that other people haven't experienced the same thing since.

My point is, the SDIP email gives a lot of guidance as to what competencies they are looking for and how you will be assessed. Knowing the questions beforehand won't necessarily give an advantage, because that doesn't mean you'll answer the questions well, nor does it mean you'll be successful. I did not know the questions beforehand, yet I went into my interview very confident because I had prepared well. I wouldn't worry too much about people who are trying to cheat their way through, is all I'm saying. If they can't follow instructions set out in an email and prepare based off that guidance alone, then the Civil Service is not for them.
Reply 52
My point is, the SDIP email gives a lot of guidance as to what competencies they are looking for and how you will be assessed. Knowing the questions beforehand won't necessarily give an advantage, because that doesn't mean you'll answer the questions well, nor does it mean you'll be successful. I did not know the questions beforehand, yet I went into my interview very confident because I had prepared well. I wouldn't worry too much about people who are trying to cheat their way through, is all I'm saying. If they can't follow instructions set out in an email and prepare based off that guidance alone, then the Civil Service is not for them.

Whilst I partly agree with what you're saying, it has upset people. I could have asked a friend for the questions but I didn't. This person was so manipulative that they really upset a bunch of people. I hope that he doesn't get through because it really was disgusting behaviour.
Reply 53
Thank you - I've had my telephone interview but was quite nervous and forgot to ask when I might hear back! Any idea please?
Reply 54
Hi everyone,I went through the SDIP application process last year. My internship, that was supposed to take place this summer with the MoD, was cancelled due to COVID-19. As I had graduated, the Civil Service put me on a reserve list. They would periodically send me vacancies which I could apply for (these were not widely advertised). Off the back of this, I've recently been offered a fixed-term EO position with another department, which I have accepted. This will replace my internship that was due to take place next summer. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the process. :smile:

Thank you - I've had my telephone interview but was quite nervous and forgot to ask when I might hear back! Any idea please?
Original post by Maeb01

I had my interview in December last year and didn’t hear back until March. They told us we would hear back by January, but I’m guessing they had other priorities. I’ll be surprised if majority of people hear back by January - February/March seems more realistic to me.
Reply 56
Hi All, I had my interview a few weeks ago and was wondering if anyone knew whether we would receive feedback on our performance prior to release of the outcome in February/March? Many thanks
Just heard that I gained a place on SDIP, so chuffed! A number of my friends who applied have also just heard that they were given places, so I imagine that they sent out the bulk offers today.
Original post by david.bakurak
Just heard that I gained a place on SDIP, so chuffed! A number of my friends who applied have also just heard that they were given places, so I imagine that they sent out the bulk offers today.

That’s great news, congratulations!!

Which schemes/departments did you have as your five choices?
Also what did you list as your location preferences?

This would be really helpful to gage things!
Original post by david.bakurak

Congrats!!! Hopefully the rest of us here soon. So nervous now as had my interview on 11th Nov so it’s been a long wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending