The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry or Computer Science

Hey,
I am planning to do Maths, Physics, Computer science and Chemistry, but I want to drop either Chemistry or Computer Science, and I do not know which one is easier. At the moment at GCSE i am finding both subjects easy.
Original post by a109
Hey,
I am planning to do Maths, Physics, Computer science and Chemistry, but I want to drop either Chemistry or Computer Science, and I do not know which one is easier. At the moment at GCSE i am finding both subjects easy.

It depends what you want to do with your life. I personally would go for dropping chemistry, but it is your decision. Go for what you enjoy most. :smile: :smile:
Reply 2
I think dropping chemistry would be easier but it depends on you really. Maybe look through the a level specification for both and see which one you’d rather do.
Reply 3
Hi, I am in Y12 and I am currently taking A-levels in maths, French, computer science and chemistry (one will become an AS), so I can definitely help you out with your decision. I have decided to drop chemistry to AS because I have found chemistry to be quite different to GCSE (A-levels quite a bit different to GCSEs in my experience). Chemistry is definitely a lot harder than computer science so far, but it really depends which you enjoy more, and if your department for those subjects are good at your school. Chemistry has a lot of content compared to computer science and you have to get your head around that content because it can be quite confusing at time, on top of this, you need to be able to apply and learn all of this to exam questions and experiments. I would say computer science is a better option, but it is also depends how good your teachers are, even though A-levels are more independent than at GCSE because you need good teachers to explain things well at A-level chemistry otherwise you can easily become left behind and you have to keep on top of it (unfortunately, my teachers aren't the best for chemistry).
Original post by a109
Hey,

It depends really on what you want to do later on in life. Personally, I took Chemistry in GCSE and found it enjoyable at first but slowly became very hard for me to grasp some concepts so I never went further with it in A levels. I know someone who takes all Sciences in A levels and says he finds Chemistry particularly difficult compare to his other subjects and especially GCSE Chemistry.
Reply 5
Original post by theboss2786
It depends really on what you want to do later on in life. Personally, I took Chemistry in GCSE and found it enjoyable at first but slowly became very hard for me to grasp some concepts so I never went further with it in A levels. I know someone who takes all Sciences in A levels and says he finds Chemistry particularly difficult compare to his other subjects and especially GCSE Chemistry.

Original post by nelly7
Hi, I am in Y12 and I am currently taking A-levels in maths, French, computer science and chemistry (one will become an AS), so I can definitely help you out with your decision. I have decided to drop chemistry to AS because I have found chemistry to be quite different to GCSE (A-levels quite a bit different to GCSEs in my experience). Chemistry is definitely a lot harder than computer science so far, but it really depends which you enjoy more, and if your department for those subjects are good at your school. Chemistry has a lot of content compared to computer science and you have to get your head around that content because it can be quite confusing at time, on top of this, you need to be able to apply and learn all of this to exam questions and experiments. I would say computer science is a better option, but it is also depends how good your teachers are, even though A-levels are more independent than at GCSE because you need good teachers to explain things well at A-level chemistry otherwise you can easily become left behind and you have to keep on top of it (unfortunately, my teachers aren't the best for chemistry).

Original post by mxx454
I think dropping chemistry would be easier but it depends on you really. Maybe look through the a level specification for both and see which one you’d rather do.

Original post by LailaGunn
It depends what you want to do with your life. I personally would go for dropping chemistry, but it is your decision. Go for what you enjoy most. :smile: :smile:

Thank you for taking your time to help me :smile:
CS because Chem and stem is ****
hehe in all seriousness, just do what you think you'll enjoy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest