The Student Room Group

Why haven't university students got refunds?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by setarexhx
No they didn’t. The universities deliberately lied to students telling them that they will have a blended learning approach one where some classes would be online and some would be in person and then when students paid for accommodation and moved to uni it was a complete different situation where 0 in person classes. 0 educational activities. No in person societies or clubs. So no they didn’t know it was all going to be online. The universities lied

My recollection is that any university which did indicate that the courses would be online (at least those early to do do - Durham for example) were pilloried and people were recommending not to go there.
Original post by setarexhx
No they didn’t. The universities deliberately lied to students telling them that they will have a blended learning approach one where some classes would be online and some would be in person and then when students paid for accommodation and moved to uni it was a complete different situation where 0 in person classes. 0 educational activities. No in person societies or clubs. So no they didn’t know it was all going to be online. The universities lied

at my uni it was a departmental thing, but most depts did do blended learning at least initially. (until the escalation of the restrictions, would be hard to argue that this was calculated) A lot of people were actually campaigning for the opposite - to stop blended learning and go totally online. I would be very surprised if my university was an exception in this but it could be.

not sure I understand the in-person societies or clubs bit, the restrictions put up a brick wall and that's not really anyone's fault. (except possibly the govt) It's up to societies to make the best of it, they aren't directly controlled by the university.
Original post by Uni_Student321
And evidently, you don't really have a clue what students have had to put up with this year and the full story of the lies told by universities.

You are an adult I believe?
Lots of people have had to put up with things due to cv19. If you hadnt noticed then during a pandemic the results are lots of people get very ill and some of them die. Businesses close and people lose their jobs.

If you feel you have had the worst experience and you have a legal case, then either complain or sue the uni yourself or maybe ask the student union what they are doing about asking for refunds. Evidently you have plenty of evidence so you should have no problem suing the university. Good luck with that. As mentioned on previous threads before the people who I do have sympathy with are international students who are paying real money for their education and arent backed by soft loans.
In other sectors, you can get a refund if the product or service you buy isn't what you were sold. Why is it so hard for university students to get refunds?

If the government wants to treat the university sector as a business, then students really should get more protection if the service they are paying for isn't what they were sold.

You've never flown with Ryanair then (good for you, neither have I). Getting a refund is about as easy as defending against a Lionel Messi free kick.
To be honest i think it’s highly unlikely that students will get even a partial refund... even if the quality of education is not necessarily the same (eg : i’m in my first year of my chem degree, I’ve only done half a day of lab work and we’d normally be in the lab every week). The unis still need the money to pay staff, maintain the buildings etc. But yes I agree it’s unfair that students have to pay the price.

Also, for those that think nobody is going to pay back their student loan:
“The Government expects that 25% of current full-time undergraduates who take out loans will repay them in full.”
This directly from the government website.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01079/
Reply 25
Original post by SusannaW
To be honest i think it’s highly unlikely that students will get even a partial refund... even if the quality of education is not necessarily the same (eg : i’m in my first year of my chem degree, I’ve only done half a day of lab work and we’d normally be in the lab every week). The unis still need the money to pay staff, maintain the buildings etc. But yes I agree it’s unfair that students have to pay the price.

Also, for those that think nobody is going to pay back their student loan:
“The Government expects that 25% of current full-time undergraduates who take out loans will repay them in full.”
This directly from the government website.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01079/

Factor in the maintenance loan and the figure is wildly different.

Moreover, that 25% figure implies the the student's contained within are earning a significant amount.. enough so that a refund is utterly irrelevant, as their degree still had value.
Original post by barnetlad
You've never flown with Ryanair then (good for you, neither have I). Getting a refund is about as easy as defending against a Lionel Messi free kick.

Yet with other companies, it's a lot easier to get refunds from. Well done for misleading people with using Ryanair as to why it's hard to get refunds whilst failing to mention that a lot of other companies make it a lot easier to get refunds.

Are you currently a uni student?
Reply 27
Yet with other companies, it's a lot easier to get refunds from. Well done for misleading people with using Ryanair as to why it's hard to get refunds whilst failing to mention that a lot of other companies make it a lot easier to get refunds.

Good luck getting a refund from a company that has supplied the contracted services, genius.
Original post by IWMTom
Good luck getting a refund from a company that has supplied the contracted services, genius.

Yes, because we willingly paid for substandard teaching, limited access to university facilities, and accommodation that we are being told to stay away from.
Reply 29
Yes, because we willingly paid for substandard teaching, limited access to university facilities, and accommodation that we are being told to stay away from.

And? Are you receiving your degree or aren't you?

You still haven't given an explanation earlier in the thread as to how you've "paid" for anything yet?
Original post by IWMTom
And? Are you receiving your degree or aren't you?

You still haven't given an explanation earlier in the thread as to how you've "paid" for anything yet?

Well, I've paid a lot for accommodation. I've also had to buy things that normally the university would provide. And why does it matter if I have a loan? I will still have to pay at least some of it back, and please don't use the argument most won't pay it back because that is frankly a stupid argument. We aren't getting what we are paying for (or will be paying for).

Are you currently a university student?
Regardless of the few outliers, many unis were pretty up front with how this academic year would go and just had to roll with the punches as they came. So students were fully aware going into this year what their year would like from a learning perspective. They were completely able and allowed to withdraw if they didn't like it. They didn't, so in fact they did get what they paid for.

You pay a tuition fee. Not an in-person tuition, society activities and nights out fee. You got tuition.
Original post by anonuser99
Regardless of the few outliers, many unis were pretty up front with how this academic year would go and just had to roll with the punches as they came. So students were fully aware going into this year what their year would like from a learning perspective. They were completely able and allowed to withdraw if they didn't like it. They didn't, so in fact they did get what they paid for.

You pay a tuition fee. Not an in-person tuition, society activities and nights out fee. You got tuition.

I haven't mentioned societies or nights out.

And you are wrong - SOME students were fully aware going into this year, others were lied to.

Not now and I studied from home not university accommodation, living in London as I do.
Original post by anonuser99

Where I do have sympathy and think the government were wrong (not the universities) was that my opinion was that the recommendation of SAGE of 21 September (2020) should have been followed. This was that students should not return to university and have virtual learning/classes etc, (and there would have been the exceptions for some courses such as medicine and teaching). In those circumstances the government should have made this compulsory and met some of the rent student would have paid for accommodation.
Reply 34
Well, I've paid a lot for accommodation. I've also had to buy things that normally the university would provide. And why does it matter if I have a loan? I will still have to pay at least some of it back, and please don't use the argument most won't pay it back because that is frankly a stupid argument. We aren't getting what we are paying for (or will be paying for).

Are you currently a university student?

Did you obtain a maintenance loan?
Original post by IWMTom
Did you obtain a maintenance loan?

Yes, but it doesn't cover my accommodation fees.
Reply 36
Yes, but it doesn't cover my accommodation fees.

How convenient for you.
I haven't mentioned societies or nights out.

And you are wrong - SOME students were fully aware going into this year, others were lied to.

I'm gonna go ahead and stick to my guns on "most" here. And the ones that think they've been lied to probably had some unreasonable expectations from the jump.
Someone else mentioned society and nights out I think, I never directed my reply at you.
I think first year students were mislead and second year students are between a rock and a hard place as they have had two years of disruption but if they pull out they cannot get funding to do a degree later. If I was a fresher I would have deferred in Sept as writing was on the wall tbh.
Original post by IWMTom
How convenient for you.

And I think this reply shows what your true intention is here. It's not to actually listen to the concerns of students but to just act like you know best and dismiss anything that you disagree with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending