The Student Room Group

Does cifas verify information

Hi,
If a bank sends information to cifas to apply a cifas marker to a customer, such as name, address etc does cifas verify the identity of the person or just accept it?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adi_help
Hi,
If a bank sends information to cifas to apply a cifas marker to a customer, such as name, address etc does cifas verify the identity of the person or just accept it?
Thanks

I suspect they take the banks word for it, it's the bank that makes the decision anyway. I believe Cifas themselves only consider cases where you have exhausted all options with the bank/whatever in question.

Like if the info Cifas held on you was wrong, the original bank that placed the marker is who you complain to.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi,
Thanks

No, they don't verify the identity. The bank has already done the relevant legwork.
Reply 3
What happens if the address the bank has is incorrect and not the same address on the credit report? E.g the address on the account was changed using a fake proof of address. Does that mean cifas gave a marker to a nonexistent person? Thanks
Reply 4
What happens if the address the bank has is incorrect and not the same address on the credit report? E.g the address on the account was changed using a fake proof of address. Does that mean cifas gave a marker to a nonexistent person? Thanks

There's ways and means of associating this to you.

For one thing they don't just keep 1 address, they take into account all associated addresses and the cross reference with other data.
Reply 6
Oh I see, they take into account the previous addresses associated with the account and cross reference that with credit companies etc.
Thanks
Oh I see, they take into account the previous addresses associated with the account and cross reference that with credit companies etc.
Thanks

Yup, expect the DWP, HMRC, DVLA and Home Office to share info with them as well.
Reply 8
That makes sense otherwise everyone would be dodging cifas left and right 😂
Reply 9
Also how long after closing the account can a bank file a cifas marker on a customer? E.g I remember him, slipped through our fingers, it’s been two years... might as well give it now”.
Reply 10
Also how long after closing the account can a bank file a cifas marker on a customer? E.g I remember him, slipped through our fingers, it’s been two years... might as well give it now”.

Before I answer any further questions, what's the context here? What's your situation?

Dunno tbh, I'm not aware of a limit anyway. I'd expect Cifas members to be obligated to take action whenever they become aware of the fraud and possess the standard of evidence required, however long their investigation may have taken.
Reply 12
Well November 2018 I gave my account details to transfer money in (money mulling i suppose), i didn’t use the account after that just left it dormant really. Then I got emails up until march 2019 saying they are going to upgrade my account to a business account and I would get my details in may. May 2020 I randomly checked the account and it said deactivated, so I’m assuming it happened after March. October they sent me an email saying they deactivated my account, strange but okay. Checked cifas but no marker so I’m just confused now it’s all over the place.😅
Well November 2018 I gave my account details to transfer money in (money mulling i suppose), i didn’t use the account after that just left it dormant really. Then I got emails up until march 2019 saying they are going to upgrade my account to a business account and I would get my details in may. May 2020 I randomly checked the account and it said deactivated, so I’m assuming it happened after March. October they sent me an email saying they deactivated my account, strange but okay. Checked cifas but no marker so I’m just confused now it’s all over the place.😅

If an account is dormant for too long, the terms and conditions of the account might allow the bank to close it. I've had a bank write to me in the past to remind me that an account appeared to be unused and that they would close it unless I made a transaction in the next month.

Alternatively a bank might block an account for security reasons -- you regain access once you've passed a security check. I had that happen where I'd moved house and not notified the bank. They'd started getting letters returned marked "not known at this address". I had to contact them and go through a security check before they allowed me access to the account (and obviously got me to update my postal address).
Reply 14

So did they actually say theyd put a marker on you or are you just assuming that because you participated in fraud and the account was closed they must have done that?
Reply 15
Banks can’t tell you if they put a marker on you, that’s for the customer to eventually find out. I checked and saw no cifas marker, what I’m trying to find out is would cifas conduct their own investigation if a bank gives a minimal evidence of fraud, or would they think the suspicion is unfounded and simply cancel the report?
Thanks
Banks can’t tell you if they put a marker on you, that’s for the customer to eventually find out. I checked and saw no cifas marker, what I’m trying to find out is would cifas conduct their own investigation if a bank gives a minimal evidence of fraud, or would they think the suspicion is unfounded and simply cancel the report?
Thanks

I seriously doubt it, they'd take the members word for it. Members are obligated to meet a standard of evidence before they apply the marker. Cifas themselves would only get involved in exceptional circumstances.
Reply 17
Original post by StriderHort
I seriously doubt it, they'd take the members word for it. Members are obligated to meet a standard of evidence before they apply the marker. Cifas themselves would only get involved in exceptional circumstances.

Guess I got lucky then 😅 never again.
Thanks
Thanks

When my Halifax account was closed they told me I had cifas marker and it would last for 6 years
Original post by struggler07
When my Halifax account was closed they told me I had cifas marker and it would last for 6 years

Whether or not the bank tell you they've given you a Cifas marker is likely to depend on (a) the circumstances and (b) the bank's policy.

In some cases the bank is restricted in what they can tell you, lest they commit the offence of "tipping off".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending