The Student Room Group

Scammed someone.

Hi. I’ve scammed someone and I feel really bad about it. I’m only 15, and they sent it to my bank and reported it, and now my account is locked. I’ve spoken to my bank and I’ve owned it and and I am happily able to refund the person. Question is, am I in threat of losing my bank account? I really never want to do it again. And I do not want my parents to know at all. Or else I am ruined. Anyone got any tips or advice? Thanks

UPDATE: Hello guys, I’ve just took it to the chin and told my parents, and I feel so so much easier now. I am lucky to have such supporting parents but very realistic and tells me what’s what. They started telling me off a lot for what I’ve done but then after comforted me saying they’re proud of me and I shouldn’t be doing this stuff as I’m a really good student in school. Moreover they’ve sent a confirmation letter home, saying they’re closing the bank account, and that I’m not allowed to apply for Lloyds again, nor Halifax or any bank of Scotland. As they are all linked somehow. This does mean that they’ve let me off very very easy, and this is a valuable lesson to all young people attempting to do what i did. Never am I ever scamming or stealing someone’s money ever again, God forbid. Thanks guys 🙏
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yeyeskizzzz
Hi. I’ve scammed someone and I feel really bad about it. I’m only 15, and they sent it to my bank and reported it, and now my account is locked. I’ve spoken to my bank and I’ve owned it and and I am happily able to refund the person. Question is, am I in threat of losing my bank account? I really never want to do it again. And I do not want my parents to know at all. Or else I am ruined. Anyone got any tips or advice? Thanks

You are at risk of that yes. It's also problem that a CIFAS marker will be placed against your name which would make it almost impossible to get credit or open a bank account until the marker is cleared. They can last up to 6 years. One closed bank account would be the least of your problems. If that's all that happens, then you'd have got off lightly.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You are at risk of that yes. It's also problem that a CIFAS marker will be placed against your name which would make it almost impossible to get credit or open a bank account until the marker is cleared. They can last up to 6 years. One closed bank account would be the least of your problems. If that's all that happens, then you'd have got off lightly.

Oh my God. I am actually scared. This has for sure messed up my future. It’s Lloyd’s bank, and they said they’re closing my account. My parents know now. So there’s no way of me having a bank account at all? For 6 years?
Reply 3
why did you think you could scam someone with no consequences?
You might have been issued with a CIFAS marker for fraudulent activity which means you won’t be able to open a mainstream bank account until you’re 21. And other non-traditional banks that previously had no checks are increasingly denying services to customers with a CIFAS marker. Not sure how exactly but I think there is some kind of request you can make that tells you whether you have a CIFAS marker or not.
(edited 9 months ago)
Oh my God. I am actually scared. This has for sure messed up my future. It’s Lloyd’s bank, and they said they’re closing my account. My parents know now. So there’s no way of me having a bank account at all? For 6 years?

Depends what Lloyds decide to do. if they deem it petty misuse you might get away with just a closure, but they're well within their rights to put a CIFAS marker on to warn other lenders.

You should contact CFAS and following their Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) process - detailed here - so see if a marker has been added, and if so which type. Lloyds might not have bothered, given your age.

If you have a CIFAS marker, then you might be able to open a bank account somewhere, but you'll struggle (and it won't be with a normal high street bank).
Reply 7
I really do hope it’s just a closure. This is a bad mistake, and I hope they don’t send the information to other banks. As I’m underage, do you think they will be less harsh on me? CIFAS marker for 6 years is really concerning for me as I have a bright future ahead of me.
Reply 8
Original post by Spelunker
why did you think you could scam someone with no consequences?

I didn’t, I knew there was. Now I highly regret it. I will take the consequences to the chin but I hope they’re not severe.
I didn’t, I knew there was. Now I highly regret it. I will take the consequences to the chin but I hope they’re not severe.

DataVenia provided a link to find out whether you’ve been given CIFAS. Do that as soon as possible and if you’re lucky enough to not have one then don’t you dare scam anyone again or use an account for fraud because the bank will know about it.

What was the scam? How much was it for?
Reply 11
Original post by Kutie Karen
What was the scam? How much was it for?

iPad for £60
As I’m underage, do you think they will be less harsh on me? CIFAS marker for 6 years is really concerning for me as I have a bright future ahead of me.

Not really tbh, Cifas isn't there to punish you, it's there to protect the banks and innocent customers from fraud, which you deffo did do, your age doesn't affect that. But as @Admit-One & @DataVenia alluded to above, as much as the bank are within their rights to add the marker, whether they actually bother is another matter. Are they aware you refunded the person? do they consider the complaint against you closed/resolved?
Reply 13
This is a bad mistake, and I hope they don’t send the information to other banks. As I’m underage, do you think they will be less harsh on me?

'Underage' in what respect? You are old enough to have scammed someone...
iPad for £60

not a lot then. Maybe they will let you off. Was it someone you knew or a stranger?
Reply 15
Original post by StriderHort
Not really tbh, Cifas isn't there to punish you, it's there to protect the banks and innocent customers from fraud, which you deffo did do, your age doesn't affect that. But as @Admit-One & @DataVenia alluded to above, as much as the bank are within their rights to add the marker, whether they actually bother is another matter. Are they aware you refunded the person? do they consider the complaint against you closed/resolved?

Yes they’ve forcefully took the funds from my account back to the woman I scammed’s account.
Reply 16
Original post by DataVenia

Check my update.
Yes they’ve forcefully took the funds from my account back to the woman I scammed’s account.

That’s not really you refunding the victim then is it?

My above post still stands. The only thing you’ve got going for you is that it was low value, but the bank are well within their rights to apply a CIFAS marker.
Reply 18
Original post by Admit-One
That’s not really you refunding the victim then is it?

My above post still stands. The only thing you’ve got going for you is that it was low value, but the bank are well within their rights to apply a CIFAS marker.

No mate, as I lost contact with the buyer, I told the bank to refund her through the funds in my account, so they did. I don’t think they are bothering to put a CIFAS marker as that would ruin me. They are able to , but I don’t think they will personally. Not sure though.
Reply 19
I don’t think they are bothering to put a CIFAS marker as that would ruin me.

You scammed someone; why would the banks worry about the effect on you? Unsurprisingly, they are more sympathetic about the victims of fraud than the perpetrators.

Moreover they’ve sent a confirmation letter home, saying they’re closing the bank account, and that I’m not allowed to apply for Lloyds again, nor Halifax or any bank of Scotland. As they are all linked somehow. This does mean that they’ve let me off very very easy

Lloyds Group owns other banks, including Halifax and Bank of Scotland. They aren't obliged to tell you if they have applied a CIFAS marker so don't get complacent; you still need to do a DSAR, as mentioned in post #7.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending