The Student Room Group

Cifas removal request

IS there any particular guidence to write a request for CIFAS REMOVAL??
Original post by subash1

This depends on the circumstances of it being applied in the first case. I'm guessing:

a) a 'friend' asked for some help due to 'issues' with their own bank

OR

b) a rando contacted you with an 'easy way to earn money'
Original post by subash1

I’m in the same situation it’s really messed my life Ive got no banking. I requested a SAR from CIFAS and the bank to see what information they hold on me.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
This depends on the circumstances of it being applied in the first case. I'm guessing:

a) a 'friend' asked for some help due to 'issues' with their own bank

OR

b) a rando contacted you with an 'easy way to earn money'

I am a international student here at De Montford University. I arrived on Feb 7, 2023. We were seeking for online job and i found a data entry job on Facebook, I talked with this person, and he gave me a job, after a week, while paying a wages, he asked my bank account, I gave him bank accont and then he transfered 500 quid, to my account from unknown source. I asked him why he transfered money, he just told told me to return money reducing my wages. After a week my bank acccount got banned.
Original post by subash1
I am a international student here at De Montford University. I arrived on Feb 7, 2023. We were seeking for online job and i found a data entry job on Facebook, I talked with this person, and he gave me a job, after a week, while paying a wages, he asked my bank account, I gave him bank accont and then he transfered 500 quid, to my account from unknown source. I asked him why he transfered money, he just told told me to return money reducing my wages. After a week my bank acccount got banned.

Have you explained any of this to the bank previously?
Reply 5
Have you explained any of this to the bank previously?

No, not yet. I have reported to action fraud but i haven't heard from them. Thats why i want to write a cifas removal request but don't have any idea how to proceed
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by subash1

I gave him bank accont and then he transfered 500 quid, to my account from unknown source. I asked him why he transfered money, he just told told me to return money reducing my wages. After a week my bank acccount got banned. That is a way of money laundering, so you may struggle to get a CIFAS marker removed.
Original post by subash1
No, not yet. I have reported to action fraud but i haven't heard from them. Thats why i want to write a cifas removal request but don't have any idea how to proceed

The thing to bear in mind is that from the bank's POV, the marker may well have been applied correctly. IE. giving your bank details to someone you met via Facebook without doing any due diligence is not a good look. The key thing is that CIFAS markers are not punishments for illegal activity, they are a warning to others banks/lenders that you may be high risk.

You need to collate and submit as much evidence as possible to the bank. The Facebook advert, email/text correspondance, anything from ActionFraud etc. Anything that shows that you were taking on work for a third party and were expecting funds from them.

You are relying on some good faith from the bank, but it is possible if you can lay out a clear timeline of events with evidence to corroborate what you are saying.
(edited 5 months ago)
The thing to bear in mind is that from the bank's POV, the marker may well have been applied correctly. IE. giving your bank details to someone you met via Facebook without doing any due diligence is not a good look. The key thing is that CIFAS markers are not punishments for illegal activity, they are a warning to others banks/lenders that you may be high risk.

You need to collate and submit as much evidence as possible to the bank. The Facebook advert, email/text correspondance, anything from ActionFraud etc. Anything that shows that you were taking on work for a third party and were expecting funds from them.

You are relying on some good faith from the bank, but it is possible if you can lay out a clear timeline of events with evidence to corroborate what you are saying.

Original post by subash1

Did they pay you your wages into the same account?
Original post by Kutie Karen
Did they pay you your wages into the same account?

Do you mean 'Did they ask you to return the money to the same account'? That would be the important bit, and OP only mentions receiving one payment

My take is much the same as above, as much as I can see how someone could honestly be suckered here, this exact sort of suspicious overpayment followed by a redirect/cash request is classic money laundering and your bank would have expected you to be more aware.. so they may be within their rights to keep the marker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending