The Student Room Group

Teacher Training 2021 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys!I am looking to apply to Primary school direct courses and have my application filled out and ready to send. I am just feeling a bit anxious about not having any classroom based experience. I have 5 years of volunteer experience working as a youth leader for a local charity and also retail experience in 3 stores. I am also in my final year of uni. Do you think I stand a chance of getting in?
Original post by julescol
Has anyone applied to or is going to either Cambridge or Kings for secondary?
I don’t know which would be a better pgce experience, so I’d love to hear some thoughts! Thanks 😊
For what discipline?
I’m doing RE, but I’d like to hear from anyone applying to any discipline re. the courses and pgce difference across the two
Original post by julescol
Has anyone applied to or is going to either Cambridge or Kings for secondary?
I don’t know which would be a better pgce experience, so I’d love to hear some thoughts! Thanks 😊

I think it's best to train in the area you think you will want to work in as you gain knowledge of local schools and that may help with job applications
Original post by Justchecking923
Hi guys!I am looking to apply to Primary school direct courses and have my application filled out and ready to send. I am just feeling a bit anxious about not having any classroom based experience. I have 5 years of volunteer experience working as a youth leader for a local charity and also retail experience in 3 stores. I am also in my final year of uni. Do you think I stand a chance of getting in?

Yes I do as my son got into secondary school teaching with no teaching practice and straight out of uni. This year it has been practically impossible to get classroom based experience and PGCE providers understand this.
Original post by harrysbar
I think it's best to train in the area you think you will want to work in as you gain knowledge of local schools and that may help with job applications

Yes I do as my son got into secondary school teaching with no teaching practice and straight out of uni. This year it has been practically impossible to get classroom based experience and PGCE providers understand this.

Thank you! This makes me feel a lot better
Original post by Justchecking923
Thank you! This makes me feel a lot better

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 386
Hey everyone, I had my first interview yesterday and they said at the end that they’re going to offer me a place! Will just take a few days to come through on ucas. I have no classroom experience (although a fair amount with children/young people) and they were very understanding about that as obviously with COVID it’s almost impossible to get any. I’m also in my last year of uni and it hasn’t put me at a disadvantage at all :smile:
Original post by franrm
Hey everyone, I had my first interview yesterday and they said at the end that they’re going to offer me a place! Will just take a few days to come through on ucas. I have no classroom experience (although a fair amount with children/young people) and they were very understanding about that as obviously with COVID it’s almost impossible to get any. I’m also in my last year of uni and it hasn’t put me at a disadvantage at all :smile:
Congratulations :yeah:

:bl:
Is there any hard and fast rule for how long it takes for an offer to come through on UCAS? I was verbally offered a place at the end of my interview on Thursday and told the ucas offer could either be fast or slow, but my head has jumped straight to "they've changed their minds or forgotten about it" 😭

I have another interview on Wednesday but this is my first choice 😳
Who was the interview with? I know some unis have a big backlog on formal paperwork. Took a few days for my offer to come through in the same situation.
Original post by pickleonthebriny
Is there any hard and fast rule for how long it takes for an offer to come through on UCAS? I was verbally offered a place at the end of my interview on Thursday and told the ucas offer could either be fast or slow, but my head has jumped straight to "they've changed their minds or forgotten about it" 😭

They won’t have changed their minds! I would wait at least a week and then maybe phone their Admissions for some reassurance if it hasn’t updated by then
Reply 391

I’m the exact same but mine was Friday, they just said it’ll take a few days but I have no idea when that is😂 I’ve got an interview this Friday but like you the one that gave me a verbal offer is my first choice so guess we’re in the same boat
Hey, had my first interview today and I'll be honest, it wasn't the best. I ran out of time for the subject knowledge test, completely misinterpreted a question of "a trip with no budget" to "a trip with an unlimited budget" and for my presentation, they cut down the time to 5 minutes instead of 10 minutes. The presentation one was annoying because I had tried to clarify it before - their email had said 5 minutes, but the PDF attached said 10 minutes. So, I didn't even complete my presentation. The more obvious questions about why do you want to teach or why train with them didn't come up either so that was most of my prep completely gone.

I will be lucky if I do get a place, but I don't expect one. All I can say is thank God that was my last choice and I used it to practice.
Original post by ItsAnotherGrad
Hey, had my first interview today and I'll be honest, it wasn't the best. I ran out of time for the subject knowledge test, completely misinterpreted a question of "a trip with no budget" to "a trip with an unlimited budget" and for my presentation, they cut down the time to 5 minutes instead of 10 minutes. The presentation one was annoying because I had tried to clarify it before - their email had said 5 minutes, but the PDF attached said 10 minutes. So, I didn't even complete my presentation. The more obvious questions about why do you want to teach or why train with them didn't come up either so that was most of my prep completely gone.

I will be lucky if I do get a place, but I don't expect one. All I can say is thank God that was my last choice and I used it to practice.

Aw no, it's a shame it didn't go well! But like you said, it's good practice. And hey, if you do get an offer, you can be confident that even 'your worse' is pretty good :wink:
Original post by bluebeetle
Aw no, it's a shame it didn't go well! But like you said, it's good practice. And hey, if you do get an offer, you can be confident that even 'your worse' is pretty good :wink:

Thank you!

On my UCAS, it says they've given me an offer for Maths, but I don't understand why? I applied for English and the only maths I demonstrated was a yr6 arithmetic test. They've not told me anything directly yet either.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you!

On my UCAS, it says they've given me an offer for Maths, but I don't understand why? I applied for English and the only maths I demonstrated was a yr6 arithmetic test. They've not told me anything directly yet either.

That's weird! Could be a clerical error, maybe worth giving them a ring and just checking.
Original post by bluebeetle
That's weird! Could be a clerical error, maybe worth giving them a ring and just checking.

It turned out to be an error! I contacted them and asked, it's now updated. Somehow, my terrible interview gave me a place!
Reply 397
It turned out to be an error! I contacted them and asked, it's now updated. Somehow, my terrible interview gave me a place!

Congrats!

Congrats!
Original post by franrm
Congrats!

Congrats!

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending