The Student Room Group

Rate my GCSE choices

Hi everyone!

I'm a year 9 student and I'm going to be submitting my GCSE choices soon. As well as taking Maths (9), English (7) and 3 sciences (9) I am planning to choose:
Latin(8)
Geography(8)
Computing (7, although due to COVID I haven't been assessed since early year 8 when it was not possible to get an 8 or 9)
Classical Civilisations (not currently taught )

The other subjects I could choose are:
History (9)
RS(9)
German(9)
PE(6)
Art(6)
Drama(not given a predicated grade yet)
DT(8)
Music(7)

Please let me know what you think of my choices, they're not confirmed yet that's why I'm trying to find other people's opinions!

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I'm beginning to worry whether taking both classics and Latin will make me look like I'm not well rounded. does anyone agree with this? will I be less desirable to employers and unis further down the line? what about a creative, practical subject? do i need one of those to look well rounded too?
(edited 3 years ago)
Ultimately it depends on what you like and find interesting. If you can see yourself studying those subjects and enjoying it then you’ve made a good choice. To be honest, GCSE choices do not matter much when it comes to applying to university, as your A Level subjects will determine which courses you can study. For now, choose what you like and/or potentially use in the future. Good luck!
(If I had the option of studying Latin at GCSE level
I definitely would have) :smile:
Original post by biologicallyblue
Ultimately it depends on what you like and find interesting. If you can see yourself studying those subjects and enjoying it then you’ve made a good choice. To be honest, GCSE choices do not matter much when it comes to applying to university, as your A Level subjects will determine which courses you can study. For now, choose what you like and/or potentially use in the future. Good luck!
(If I had the option of studying Latin at GCSE level
I definitely would have) :smile:

Thanks for your reply. It’s really helpful!
I chose computing because I really enjoyed coding however the gcse doesn’t actually do much coding. To be fair it’s the only one I regret as a subject, however I don’t hate it that much because I really like the teacher. History tend to be considered more academic than geography and along with RS it shows a good cultural, social political knowledge which is useful for when you go into a career that involves people and understanding them. However do what you enjoy!
Original post by MiriamL
I chose computing because I really enjoyed coding however the gcse doesn’t actually do much coding. To be fair it’s the only one I regret as a subject, however I don’t hate it that much because I really like the teacher. History tend to be considered more academic than geography and along with RS it shows a good cultural, social political knowledge which is useful for when you go into a career that involves people and understanding them. However do what you enjoy!

Thanks for your reply! That's a shame about computing hopefully I'll enjoy it though. I'll take what you said about RS and History into consideration too. Would anyone else agree with that view? Thanks
Reply 5
I didn’t do RS but everyone said it’s easy so kinda wished I’d taken it. All my friends got 9s aswell
Original post by Amistr
I didn’t do RS but everyone said it’s easy so kinda wished I’d taken it. All my friends got 9s aswell

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to take RS because I enjoy and like you said it's seems like its an easy 9 bt unfortunately my parents aren't letting me. We do have to do non examination core RS so I don't mind that much.
Hi again everyone!

Thanks for all the replies so far, please continue to reply. I was just wondering what your thoughts are about not taking subjects your predicted 9s in (history and RS for me) and taking subjects which you are predicted lower in (geography for example). Am I being stupid? Should I take geography, risk only getting an 8 and then live with the regret that I should have taken history or RS instead???
Original post by Buddingdentist08
Hi again everyone!

Thanks for all the replies so far, please continue to reply. I was just wondering what your thoughts are about not taking subjects your predicted 9s in (history and RS for me) and taking subjects which you are predicted lower in (geography for example). Am I being stupid? Should I take geography, risk only getting an 8 and then live with the regret that I should have taken history or RS instead???

I know I've already replied, but I would really encourage that you pick what you like firstly; otherwise, you just won't want to do it, you either won't go up or slip down, as even the grades you are getting in year 9 will fall dramatically at the beginning of GCSEs and it will take time to get them up. If you like them both equally I think history is considered slightly more academic, but to be fair I really don't think it matters. Some teachers have told be that unis don't see much difference between an 8 and a 9. An 8 is amazing. As far as what I've seen for applying for dentistry they want to see GCSEs in the 7-9 bracket but they aren't too bothered about which ones they are. However a few do have requirements such as English Lang at grade 7. If taking geography means that the extra work you put in to get it to a 9 could mean your English Lang slips to a 6 or your sciences slip that could be an issue. Don't worry about it too much.
Original post by MiriamL
I know I've already replied, but I would really encourage that you pick what you like firstly; otherwise, you just won't want to do it, you either won't go up or slip down, as even the grades you are getting in year 9 will fall dramatically at the beginning of GCSEs and it will take time to get them up. If you like them both equally I think history is considered slightly more academic, but to be fair I really don't think it matters. Some teachers have told be that unis don't see much difference between an 8 and a 9. An 8 is amazing. As far as what I've seen for applying for dentistry they want to see GCSEs in the 7-9 bracket but they aren't too bothered about which ones they are. However a few do have requirements such as English Lang at grade 7. If taking geography means that the extra work you put in to get it to a 9 could mean your English Lang slips to a 6 or your sciences slip that could be an issue. Don't worry about it too much.

ok thanks, that's reassuring. thx for your help
hi again everyone.

Thanks for all your help so far. Now that I'm more into the options process I'm beginning to worry whether taking both classics and latin will make me look like i'm not well rounded. does anyone agree with this? will i be less desirable to employers and unis further down the line?

thanks for your help
As long as you can get into sixth form/college to do the subjects you think you may pick with your gcses then you’ll be fine, as far as I know, universities at most will just look at your gcse grades rather than focus on individual subjects(aside from maths and English language) and the same with employment, if they even look at them at all!

Gcses are just like a stepping stone to the next stage of your education :smile:
Hi again everyone!

I’m going to be submitting my choices this weekend and I’ve decided to do:
Classical civ
Latin
Geo
Computer science

Reserves are dt and history

CC is a bit of a risk, I’m just going to work really hard and hope for a 9. Also chose Latin over an MFL because that’s what I enjoy more. Thank you to everyone whose contributed to this thread. Really appreciate it. If anyone still has anything to add please do and I’ll try have a look at it before Monday!
I'mm very confused as to how you have predicted grades in year 9, but Latin and Classics work well together, and if you want to do something concerning humanities at A level/beyond they'd be a good combination. I took Latin for GCSE and am taking Classics for A level and enjoyed them both, I wouldn't worry about it.
Original post by nogoodusersleft
I'mm very confused as to how you have predicted grades in year 9, but Latin and Classics work well together, and if you want to do something concerning humanities at A level/beyond they'd be a good combination. I took Latin for GCSE and am taking Classics for A level and enjoyed them both, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for your input-it’s very reassuring. And our predicted grades are based on how were performing at the moment. Our teachers look at our current test results and assessments and determine what’s the grade we’re likely to achieve at gcse if we continue to progress in the same way. Obviously at gcse the work gets harder but most people obviously start working harder so through the two years it’s not uncommon for someone’s predicted grade to go up.

Quick Reply

Latest