The Student Room Group

To all you PC gamers out there...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Afrrcyn
Is that the beast you play Roblox on?

Yes.....well I play Roblox on that and on my iPad hehe
I play Cod,watchdogs, Sniper 3D and apex legends on it as well hehe
No, I have a 500GB one too hehe
I started getting the parts together for a new one, which I put together over Christmas.

Ryzen 3 3200G APU
Mortar Max
16Gb of DDR4 at 2666
256Gb M.2 drive
1Tb HDD
Be Quiet 550W PSU (I think)
I was using a TV, but the resolution made my eyes go funny and it kept making games defult to odd screensizes. There was a 22" Dell monitor on sale on Black Friday for £50, so I got that. 1080p, nothing special.

Unfortunately, all this coincided with the Great GPU Drought of 2020/21, so I don't have a graphics card currently, and there is no way I am buying a second hand one for more than retail. Fortunately, the 3200G is much much better than I could ever have expected and is getting me by at the moment.
CPU: Four ARM Cortex A57 cores (theoretical max 2GHz)
GPU: 256 CUDA cores (theoretical max 1GHz)
Architecture: Nvidia second-generation Maxwell.
Texture: 16 pixels/cycle.
Fill: 14.4 pixels/cycle.
Memory: 4GB.
Memory Bandwidth: 25.6GB/s.
VRAM: Shared.

I pLaY oN nInTenDo SwItCh
Reply 24
Recently upgraded from an i5 6600k and MSI Z170a to:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-A Gaming
GPU: EVGA 980Ti (Trying to get a 3070/80)
RAM: 16GB Corsair LPX @3200MHz
Storage: WD Black 256GB Boot SSD, 2TB Sabrent Game SSD and a 2Tb Samsung backup HDD
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Case: Corsair 465x (White)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
...and several Noctua NH-P12 Redux fans
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X CPU
ASUS Prime B450+ MBoard
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3000 odds
Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU
500 GB Samsung SSD & 2 x 1TB storage drives

(I use a big 1080 TV)

I was lucky enough to build mine in Nov as most of the bits have near doubled in price :eek:
*banned from thread*

Spoiler

CPU - core i7-7700k
GPU - GT 710 (am about to upgrade to a 1060 when i save enough)
storage - 2tb hdd, 500gb ssd
RAM - 16gb ddr4
My CPU is watercooled (NZXT kraken of some format) and i have a CD drive and some firewire ports because sometimes it's nice to crack open a game from the 90s/early 2000s and have a go

Good enough for me, i mainly use my PC to mod skyrim and minecraft and maybe occasionaly bust out a yakuza game
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RaphAngelos
CPU - core i7-7700k
GPU - GT 710 (am about to upgrade to a 1060 when i save enough)
storage - 2tb hdd, 500gb ssd
RAM - 16gb ddr4
My CPU is watercooled (NZXT kraken of some format) and i have a CD drive and some firewire ports because sometimes it's nice to crack open a game from the 90s/early 2000s and have a go

Good enough for me, i mainly use my PC to mod skyrim and minecraft and maybe occasionaly bust out a yakuza game

May I ask why you splurged on water cooling at the expense of a decent graphics card?
LULW, ur pc is garbo. Your frames are bad. You idiot.
Original post by Vapordave
May I ask why you splurged on water cooling at the expense of a decent graphics card?

I got the watercooler in a bundle with the cpu and motherboard and since the rest of the pc was made from parts of other computers and those were the only things I was lacking for my PC to be able to run, i decided to make it run first and wait until i had enough money to get a decent GPU.

In the end for the games i run most of them are heavily modded CPU and RAM intensive games but the graphics are still 2011 tier as even when running skyrim with an ENB, SMIM and a high def texture mod it stll runs fine

The exception is Yakuza, however i only got into the games after building my PC.
Reply 31
GPU: RTX 3080 SUPRIM
CPU: I7 9700K @5.2GHZ
RAM: 16GB GDDR4
STORAGE: 2 x 1TB SSD.
im pretty sure your cpu will bottlebeck a 3090.
also what rez is/will be your monitor be. any less than 4k for a 3090 is a waste.
CPU: i5 4690k
GPU GTX 980
RAM: 16GB DDR3... CL11 2400 MHz iirc
Storage: Much storage. Got a bunch of media on my drives and I also like to keep a healthy variety of games installed so I rarely run into those moments where I'm like 'Oh I fancy playing this', then I have to install it
2TB ADATA SU 800
500GB Samsung 840 Evo
1TB WD Black
2TB Hitachi Ultrastar 7k4000
3TB Toshiba P300

She's a dinosaur, but she's still kicking.

Got some upgrades in the works but it's very early, new stuff is definitely going to drop before I get it done sort of stage.
At this point, I'm definitely noticing the GPU and CPU starting to hold things back.

So a new CPU is deffo on the table... Will probably look towards something that's top of the line

That means a new motherboard

That means new RAM.

I'm using an AIO cooler so a new cooler is going to be on the table as well.

Looking to move storage to almost entirely SSDs. Will probably stick with the SU800 and replace most everything else with Crucial MX500's (after the whole firmware mess Samsung had with the 840 and 850, I'd rather avoid their drives). Of course, I'll still have a HDD for media. May or may not splash on a NVME SSD

New GPU of course, right now the likely candidate is PNY's 3090 XLR8. Depends what's going off when the time to upgrade comes around though in regards to releases and pricing.

New case... Just cause... Speaking of which, anyone know of any cases with 90 degrees rotated mobo trays that aren't from Silverstone? Really want to change up my case but I also want something with easily accessible 'rear' I/O but they seem to be all I can find.

In other words, I'm basically looking at an entirely new build...
Original post by Ewan__
Recently upgraded from an i5 6600k and MSI Z170a to:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-A Gaming
GPU: EVGA 980Ti (Trying to get a 3070/80)
RAM: 16GB Corsair LPX @3200MHz
Storage: WD Black 256GB Boot SSD, 2TB Sabrent Game SSD and a 2Tb Samsung backup HDD
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Case: Corsair 465x (White)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
...and several Noctua NH-P12 Redux fans

I like this.

I built my whole PC for less than £400 in an emergency because I could tell my laptop was about to die. So I really cut corners on some stuff - and one big one was the case. It's actually not too bad, but only cost £20 and it is really, really ugly. I wish I had spent that bit more and got something like a Corsair case.
Processor AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (6.94 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I've had this for 5 years, can anyone recommend me possible upgrades because it's so slow sometimes and I'm getting low fps sometimes too.
Original post by neville420

I've had this for 5 years, can anyone recommend me possible upgrades because it's so slow sometimes and I'm getting low fps sometimes too.

The RAM will be a bottleneck imo, my old PC was starting to seriously chug the last few years with 8gb. upgrading to 16gb is generally cheap enough, (If you're currently running a single 8gb chip you could just buy another one for a pair)

Assuming you have onboard R7 graphics a separate graphics card would come with extra video RAM built in which might also solve the problem (But i honestly don't know if it's quite that simple, and i think even the standalone R7's have 2gb max which is a bit limiting now) (BTW Graphic card prices are mental right now)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by neville420

The 7870k is a little long in the tooth now, from a time when AMD processors were already looked upon poorly by the community (and that's putting it diplomatically) compared to Intel. You could spend £100ish on an older graphics card like an RX 550 or GTX 1050 (if you can even find them in stock) and get a big jump in 1080p gaming, but anything beyond that is going to be bottlenecked by the processor. That means replacing the CPU, which means replacing the motherboard, which means replacing the RAM, and at that point you're looking at less of an upgrade and more of a complete overhaul.

However for general system performance, add an SSD to use as your boot drive if you haven't already. The improvements to boot/loading times and general system snappiness are hard to understate, even from a cheap 240GB SSD for as little as £20.
Don't mind me, I'm just a console stan infiltrating enemy territory :ninja:
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Don't mind me, I'm just a console stan infiltrating enemy territory :ninja:

unnamed.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest