The Student Room Group

Procrastination

School's going to start for me tomorrow, and for the past term, I procrastinated soo much with my schoolwork. This time I need to stop doing it, so I was wondering if any of you had any tips.

Please if you have any tips on stopping or controlling procrastination, please comment on this post!

Scroll to see replies

What helped for me was using the pomodoro method religiously, so working for say 50 minutes then taking a 15 minute break. It starts to work and helps you separate your time better. I use the forest app to help with procrastination as well. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lunathefighter
What helped for me was using the pomodoro method religiously, so working for say 50 minutes then taking a 15 minute break. It starts to work and helps you separate your time better. I use the forest app to help with procrastination as well. Good luck :smile:

Yes, I've heard of the pomodoro method, but never actually tried it. I will now though. I haven't heard of the forest app, but I will be sure to find and install it.

Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Well, I procrastinate by reading (fiction, not school textbooks) - this may not sound bad, but it always gets in the way of work, because I do it, even if my work is piling up. My timetable's the same as the school one, because of lockdown, I have to do my work at home, so that's sorted. Yes, I always distract myself going to the kitchen, so I'll keep water and snacks near me from now on.

Thanks so much!
Reply 4
It is not easy to beat procrastination in my experience. Some tips, try to envisage the day when you have achieved your goals and can relax, reflect on how you’ll feel and use this as a motivator. Set small goals to achieve with breaks and minor rewards in between . Chose an inspiring place to study like a stylish library. It does become a rhythm, so when you do start to defeat procrastination it’s becomes self sustaining.
Reply 5
For phones I recommend chucking it far away from u (eg under your bed covers so it's harder to find) and switched off cos u wont be arsed waiting for it to switch on
Basically solve cba with cba technique haha
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
The forest app for pomodoro works for many people and me to a certain extent. HOWEVER if the problem is actually getting your lazy self to start the work (and once you do, you can work for ages), the method is not as effective since the timer goes off when you're on a roll
Reply 7
Original post by pamoche
I recommend chucking your phone far away from u (your bed) and switched off cos u wont be arsed waiting for it to switch on

Original post by pamoche
The forest app for pomodoro works for many people and me to a certain extent. HOWEVER if the problem is actually getting your lazy self to start the work (and once you do, you can work for ages), the method is not as effective since the timer goes off when you're on a roll

I don't really get distracted by my phone. Most of my work's on my laptop; and there's plenty of distraction available there. Yes, I am one of those lazy people, but when I start work, I can go on for hours.

Thanks so much for the advice!
Reply 8
I can relate a lot to how you feel and how I was during undergraduate studies. I now do a good bit of project management as part of my professional life and now I don't have an excuse to procrastinate as much as I used to (and trust me, it was chronic).Part of the problem I found with my procrastination was my pursuit of 'perfection'. I found it very difficult to complete things or put things off until I had the 'perfect' mindset/environment or the 'perfect' outcomes. The truth is, perfection never comes - only small improvements over time. Try to think of your work as improving yourself over time rather than sweating about achieving perfection. Trust me, nobody is asking for perfection; they just want the goods! Go for it!
Reply 9
Original post by AA..
I don't really get distracted by my phone. Most of my work's on my laptop; and there's plenty of distraction available there. Yes, I am one of those lazy people, but when I start work, I can go on for hours.

Thanks so much for the advice!

In that case...just mentally hype yourself up 😂 my personal favourites, channel that inner Shia LaBeouf "JuSt dO iT" or "wtf [y/n] u lazy bi**h do it now otherwise u won't do it later]"
Reply 10
Original post by pamoche
In that case...just mentally hype yourself up 😂 my personal favourites, channel that inner Shia LaBeouf "JuSt dO iT" or "wtf [y/n] u lazy bi**h do it now otherwise u won't do it later]"

ofc, thanks!!
Reply 11
Original post by Balado
I can relate a lot to how you feel and how I was during undergraduate studies. I now do a good bit of project management as part of my professional life and now I don't have an excuse to procrastinate as much as I used to (and trust me, it was chronic).Part of the problem I found with my procrastination was my pursuit of 'perfection'. I found it very difficult to complete things or put things off until I had the 'perfect' mindset/environment or the 'perfect' outcomes. The truth is, perfection never comes - only small improvements over time. Try to think of your work as improving yourself over time rather than sweating about achieving perfection. Trust me, nobody is asking for perfection; they just want the goods! Go for it!

Perfection is something that always holds me back, because I would either just continually stress over one project, trying to make it perfect, while ignoring the enormous page of assignments waiting to be submitted. This is useful. Thank you so much!
Reply 12
Original post by AA..
School's going to start for me tomorrow, and for the past term, I procrastinated soo much with my schoolwork. This time I need to stop doing it, so I was wondering if any of you had any tips.

Please if you have any tips on stopping or controlling procrastination, please comment on this post!

I film myself studying with a time lapse on my phone to stop myself from checking social media and it's worked like a charm. Good luck with school work :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by avso
I film myself studying with a time lapse on my phone to stop myself from checking social media and it's worked like a charm. Good luck with school work :smile:

Thanks so much! I'll definitely try this.
Reply 14
Original post by lunathefighter

I second this
Original post by pamoche
For phones I recommend chucking it far away from u (eg under your bed covers so it's harder to find) and switched off cos u wont be arsed waiting for it to switch on

😂😂
Hi there,

I just thought I would reach out because I am one of the worst with procrastinating!

Have you used the app Forest before? I use this, and it's so helpful when I revise for my Liverpool Exams and something that I recommend to all of my friends. It's a productivity app that doesn't let you go on your phone, and for each minute you're not on your phone it'll grow a tree! You can set the timer, and by the end of your designated revision time, your tree will be all grown.

When the app is on, I like to focus solely on my work and have no distractions. I also set my timer for roughly 25 minutes, and find this is perfect for me. Once I start, I'll keep going until my work is done - it works!

I hope that's helpful to you :smile: You do have to pay for the app, but there is a free version (called Flora) which basically is the same thing.

Good luck!

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Reply 17
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

I just thought I would reach out because I am one of the worst with procrastinating!

Have you used the app Forest before? I use this, and it's so helpful when I revise for my Liverpool Exams and something that I recommend to all of my friends. It's a productivity app that doesn't let you go on your phone, and for each minute you're not on your phone it'll grow a tree! You can set the timer, and by the end of your designated revision time, your tree will be all grown.

When the app is on, I like to focus solely on my work and have no distractions. I also set my timer for roughly 25 minutes, and find this is perfect for me. Once I start, I'll keep going until my work is done - it works!

I hope that's helpful to you :smile: You do have to pay for the app, but there is a free version (called Flora) which basically is the same thing.

Good luck!

I'll try the flora app, to see how useful it will be for me, then maybe I can pay for the forest one. Thanks so much!
Original post by AA..
I'll try the flora app, to see how useful it will be for me, then maybe I can pay for the forest one. Thanks so much!

That sounds great - do let us know how you get on! :smile: & I'm glad that's been useful :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending