The Student Room Group

i’m 20 and haven’t grown up

i’m really scared because people in my religion/culture usually get married at 25/26 if you are a woman and I still find it hard to do basics and can’t cope in new situations. Also, my attitude is very immature for someone of my age and I was wondering if there are others out there?

Scroll to see replies

im gonna assume ur a muslim from an asian background because its really similar, but sorry if I'm wrong. honestly forget about being perfect for marriage and stuff, u don't have to get married at a 25/26, cuz once u put a deadline on things u end up rushing right? get married when the time is right for YOu whether that be when ur 30/40 or even 50. u gotta expand on the basics bc the basics for me might be complicated for u. but if its basics like cooking etc that's totally fine as long as ur making progress eg I was scared of going near the cooker when it was on a few years ago and now I can cook all sorts so its all about progress just don't be lazy that's all. also about the attitude thing ur 20, that's still kinda considered late teen so no one expects u to be all grown up and adult. don't stress bout the future, just let things happen naturally :smile:
Hi, I'm only 13 but I've been asked this question many times and sometimes there is a clear answer. You are who YOU are, and nobody can change that. Whoever you are is yourself, everybody is unique and different, but being different and being YOU is what makes you special. Sometimes people just never feel like an adult. If what you mean is you haven't grown up by liking and watching cartoons, having people over when it is your birthday, going to places like Disney or Lego land, having hobbies like a kid; honestly, who cares! Nobody should care or have any judgement against that; you are who you are, if it makes you happy then so what, your happy! We are all human, we all make mistakes and we all like different things. You can be a happy, fun-loving person, and still be an adult. There is no one way to be an adult and the only thing that changes is the amount of responsibilities put upon you. A lot of people, including me, like being you again. I'm 13 and I haven't grown insanely yet; I am much taller and have a deeper voice, but I still like doing SOME stuff I did when I was a child, building Lego, playing (video) games, having fun, messing about with friends etc. But I dont care, my parents and family don't care, none of my friends judge it (they do the same lol). What did you think was going to happen? Did you think there was going to be some magical moment where you “felt” like an adult? Did you expect there to be some sort of adult orientation package arriving through the mail, that there would be some sort of ceremony? Sure there are cultures that have a ceremony concerning the arrival into manhood, but do you think those people feel like adults? Ask anyone who is an adult, and they might tell you they are old, that they are responsible, and they have jobs and wives, husbands, children, and grandchildren, but do you think they “feel” like an adult? My 45 year old Dad is ADDICTED to building and playing with Lego, he is like a normal father, loving, caring, takes care of me, works hard like a grown up man but inside, loves stuff like LEGO. I enjoy the same and don't care the he is 45 years old and loves LEGO, nobody does. Some people may look very grown up on the physical appearance and outside, but may be different on the inside. Trust me, lots of people are immature. Sometimes I myself have been very immature and stuff, but so what, most people are. No-one should judge you on that cuz chances are they r the same.

If this is more like a problem of getting someone to like you or struggling to find someone you truly love, here are the basic tips:

1. Make Eye Contact First
2. Don't blabber on about what to say, just say 'Hey' to greet and introduce yourself
3. Naturally Boost Your Confidence & Attractiveness With Your Posture
4. Talk About Your Common Interests and what you like
5. Start to Consider Your Body Language.
6. Impress Her, doesn't always have to be physically. I'm not got insane muscles and massive huge 6 packs like others, just a little 6 pack but girls still like me
7. Make Her Laugh, women/girls like boys who are funny
8. Know What She Likes

9. COMPLIMENTS. Girls love boys complimenting them on their physical attractiveness, beauty, how they are, and themselves

I would say the most key is CONFIDENCE. I used to be VERY shy when I was young, I tried in Year 6 asking 2 girls out to the dance but it didn't work cuz I wasn't confident. I've had a best friend who is a girl since like 7 or 8 or something (not in a bf gf way lol), she's always liked me for WHO I AM but has always said that I need to be more confident in my self. Now, I've built my confidence up and girls actually like me now, cause I am confident when approaching girls. Those 9 tips above should make you the perfect person for a girl, and remember, you are who you are! If you need any help with anything, pm me.

And yes, there are plenty of slightly immature people (partly including me) out there. Some quick tips are:

Take responsibility for your actions. Try to reason from a different perspective before taking any action. Avoid risky behavior. Improve your self-awareness and self-understanding, and keep an open mind.

Hopefully this helps lol, this took me 20 mins to type lol for a 13 yr old! Good luck!!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Lol many people have told me that, I'm nearly 14 but I've answered many of these questions already lol so good old copy and paste from my old posts made it a bit easier 😂
Do you go to university?
Reply 5
Original post by DanielG_07
Hi, I'm only 13 but I've been asked this question many times and sometimes there is a clear answer. You are who YOU are, and nobody can change that. Whoever you are is yourself, everybody is unique and different, but being different and being YOU is what makes you special. Sometimes people just never feel like an adult. If what you mean is you haven't grown up by liking and watching cartoons, having people over when it is your birthday, going to places like Disney or Lego land, having hobbies like a kid; honestly, who cares! Nobody should care or have any judgement against that; you are who you are, if it makes you happy then so what, your happy! We are all human, we all make mistakes and we all like different things. You can be a happy, fun-loving person, and still be an adult. There is no one way to be an adult and the only thing that changes is the amount of responsibilities put upon you. A lot of people, including me, like being you again. I'm 13 and I haven't grown insanely yet; I am much taller and have a deeper voice, but I still like doing SOME stuff I did when I was a child, building Lego, playing (video) games, having fun, messing about with friends etc. But I dont care, my parents and family don't care, none of my friends judge it (they do the same lol). What did you think was going to happen? Did you think there was going to be some magical moment where you “felt” like an adult? Did you expect there to be some sort of adult orientation package arriving through the mail, that there would be some sort of ceremony? Sure there are cultures that have a ceremony concerning the arrival into manhood, but do you think those people feel like adults? Ask anyone who is an adult, and they might tell you they are old, that they are responsible, and they have jobs and wives, husbands, children, and grandchildren, but do you think they “feel” like an adult? My 45 year old Dad is ADDICTED to building and playing with Lego, he is like a normal father, loving, caring, takes care of me, works hard like a grown up man but inside, loves stuff like LEGO. I enjoy the same and don't care the he is 45 years old and loves LEGO, nobody does. Some people may look very grown up on the physical appearance and outside, but may be different on the inside. Trust me, lots of people are immature. Sometimes I myself have been very immature and stuff, but so what, most people are. No-one should judge you on that cuz chances are they r the same.

If this is more like a problem of getting someone to like you or struggling to find someone you truly love, here are the basic tips:

2. Don't blabber on about what to say, just say 'Hey' to greet and introduce yourself
6. Impress Her, doesn't always have to be physically. I'm not got insane muscles and massive huge 6 packs like others, just a little 6 pack but girls still like me
8. Know What She Likes

9. COMPLIMENTS. Girls love boys complimenting them on their physical attractiveness, beauty, how they are, and themselves

I would say the most key is CONFIDENCE. I used to be VERY shy when I was young, I tried in Year 6 asking 2 girls out to the dance but it didn't work cuz I wasn't confident. I've had a best friend who is a girl since like 7 or 8 or something (not in a bf gf way lol), she's always liked me for WHO I AM but has always said that I need to be more confident in my self. Now, I've built my confidence up and girls actually like me now, cause I am confident when approaching girls. Those 9 tips above should make you the perfect person for a girl, and remember, you are who you are! If you need any help with anything, pm me.

And yes, there are plenty of slightly immature people (partly including me) out there. Some quick tips are:

Take responsibility for your actions. Try to reason from a different perspective before taking any action. Avoid risky behavior. Improve your self-awareness and self-understanding, and keep an open mind.

Hopefully this helps lol, this took me 20 mins to type lol for a 13 yr old! Good luck!!!

Ahh, a 13 year old giving life advice. 😂

@londonmyst he used to be shy when he was young... think any of the tips will work?
Reply 6
Original post by DanielG_07

8. Know What She Likes

i’m a woman
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Do you go to university?

no
You are 20 though??!!!

Do you have A levels or BTEC? You are now old enough to do Access to Higher Education Diploma

I would not recommend getting married without a degree, because men could easily leave you and you will be left with 2 or 3 kids and on welfare benefits or low jobs your whole life.
Reply 9
You are 20 though??!!!

Do you have A levels or BTEC? You are now old enough to do Access to Higher Education Diploma

I would not recommend getting married without a degree, because men could easily leave you and you will be left with 2 or 3 kids and on welfare benefits or low jobs your whole life.

so what if I am 20? not all people go to uni, either not smart enough or given their situation they didn’t go/didn’t choose to go.

I have an AS level in Sociology thats it. Not everyone gets a degree, some do an apprenticeship and still get married.
Original post by Spanx
Ahh, a 13 year old giving life advice. 😂

@londonmyst he used to be shy when he was young... think any of the tips will work?

LOL yes that's me, was just bored lol
I'm so sorry lol, didn't realize. Well then i hope some of the advice works lol, so sorry about that...
You are 20 though??!!!

studying makes me ill.

I know 1 person who got 0 GCSEs, she got married to someone from bangladesh and is having a child at 19.
i think what everyone is trying to get across is that its beneficial if you have some sort of stable income whether that be a business/job etc so u can rely on urself and be independent if anything goes wrong.
Original post by lollipoplady101
i think what everyone is trying to get across is that its beneficial if you have some sort of stable income whether that be a business/job etc so u can rely on urself and be independent if anything goes wrong.

not being rude but obviously I will get a job before marriage, theres 5 more years before I turn 25. I’m not thinking of getting married now.
i’m getting a job before marriage and growing up first, that person knows how to do everything I don’t.
That is bad because he might leave her and she will be unemployed and financially doing badly with 2 or 3 or 4 kids.
Go do your Maths and English GCSE and do Access to Higher Education Level 3 Diploma to go to university. Get a job then.

You can then marry at 24 or 25 years.

Marriage is not that important anyway. Marriage is just sex and they can get sex without marriage nowadays. Men are spoilt and easily leave you, especially after they get sex.
That is bad because he might leave her and she will be unemployed and financially doing badly with 2 or 3 or 4 kids.

shes still living with her dad and 2 elder brothers, shes the only girl hence why shes living at home for now
Marriage is overrated. It is sex and men can get sex without marriage anyway. So it will end in divorce most cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending