The Student Room Group

extra-curricular crisis

I've had a bit of a problem with the whole extra-curricular thing, I'm in year 12 so I know I need to do some things other than exams to make my personal statement worth anything at all. The problem is, my school doesn't offer any clubs or societies (literally nothing at all, it's a small, rural school.) I've heard that other schools have debating societies and things like that, so I'm worried that my application will be very poor compared to others.

As I mentioned above, I live in a rural area, so there are barely any other clubs or societies outside of school. I have looked, and I have found nothing. How much of a disadvantage will this put me at - as I think my personal statement will be weak without any extra stuff, and is there such thing as online clubs or societies that I could join?
Original post by raquelthestudent
I've had a bit of a problem with the whole extra-curricular thing, I'm in year 12 so I know I need to do some things other than exams to make my personal statement worth anything at all. The problem is, my school doesn't offer any clubs or societies (literally nothing at all, it's a small, rural school.) I've heard that other schools have debating societies and things like that, so I'm worried that my application will be very poor compared to others.

As I mentioned above, I live in a rural area, so there are barely any other clubs or societies outside of school. I have looked, and I have found nothing. How much of a disadvantage will this put me at - as I think my personal statement will be weak without any extra stuff, and is there such thing as online clubs or societies that I could join?

Hi! @raquelthestudent

I understand your problem, I too live in a rural area.
Have you tried applying for things like NCS or DofE, these are offered to people your age and you can apply online and find your nearest centre.
Have you done any charity work or fundraising? There are a lot of fundraising challenges going on at the moment, like the 27 27 for MIND charity. Signing up for things like this are simple to do and fit into your free time.
Try speaking to your personal tutor, they might be able to help you find something and give you some ideas about things to do in your area, or things that would relate to the subject that you're replying to.
There might be some online clubs or societies, but you would need to look around.
You've got plenty of time between now and writing/finishing your personal statement for next year, so don't stress too much.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Universities don't care about extra curriculars and hobbies. Those are never going to make any difference to your chances of an offer.

What matters is super curriculars - activities related to your chosen degree that demonstrate and interest beyond your curriculum

What do you want to apply for?
Original post by PQ
Universities don't care about extra curriculars and hobbies. Those are never going to make any difference to your chances of an offer.

What matters is super curriculars - activities related to your chosen degree that demonstrate and interest beyond your curriculum

What do you want to apply for?

history
history

Then there's loads of things you can do to engage outside and beyond your curriculum:
Documentaries, podcasts, blogs, books and journals, online lectures etc etc plus things like MOOCs (free online university courses from providers like futurelearn and edx )

The other really important thing for history is to really properly research the course content of the various universities you're interested in to look at which topics are available. History degrees include a range of different periods and topics and the difference can be extreme - a PS that focuses on ancient history interests to a course that includes little to no ancient history is risky.
Original post by PQ
Then there's loads of things you can do to engage outside and beyond your curriculum:
Documentaries, podcasts, blogs, books and journals, online lectures etc etc plus things like MOOCs (free online university courses from providers like futurelearn and edx )

The other really important thing for history is to really properly research the course content of the various universities you're interested in to look at which topics are available. History degrees include a range of different periods and topics and the difference can be extreme - a PS that focuses on ancient history interests to a course that includes little to no ancient history is risky.

thank you!
thank you!

What really shines in a PS is when an applicant demonstrates a real genuine enthusiasm and love for their subject - so don't be afraid to follow your own personal interests in your free time. If you're doing a super curricular activity and you're finding it boring then drop it and find something that does get you interested and excited about your subject. Then find a course that really closely matches those areas of interest so that you know you'll be studying the bits you love.
Hi there,

Personal statements are all about showcasing the best of YOU, and what you like to do / skills you have. If there are no opportunities to get involved in societies, then is there any volunteering opportunities in your local community? It might be a great way to develop your skills like organisation and time management, as well as helping the community too! :biggrin: You can choose what you ultimately put on your personal statement, so my advice to you would be to really showcase all the great things you've done / are doing.

I hope that helps!

Ana :h:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

Personal statements are all about showcasing the best of YOU, and what you like to do / skills you have. If there are no opportunities to get involved in societies, then is there any volunteering opportunities in your local community? It might be a great way to develop your skills like organisation and time management, as well as helping the community too! :biggrin: You can choose what you ultimately put on your personal statement, so my advice to you would be to really showcase all the great things you've done / are doing.

I hope that helps!

Ana :h:

Admissions staff aren’t selecting for History degrees on the basis of whether or not time management or organisation is demonstrated in the PS.
Original post by PQ
Admissions staff aren’t selecting for History degrees on the basis of whether or not time management or organisation is demonstrated in

Hi @PQ,
I apologise if my response was unclear; the point I tried to convey was that volunteering in a local community may be something to do other than joining societies. I referred to skills such as time management, and organisation as these may be developed when participating in volunteering for a local community - which may be useful to put in a personal statement :biggrin: Yes, staff aren’t selecting for History degrees on the basis of whether or not time management or organisation is demonstrated, but I just thought I'd mention these skills as it shows what the person has learnt from volunteering (which may then be useful for their history course as the student can apply such skill).
I hope that clears things up.
Ana:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending