The Student Room Group

is it worth applying to Cambridge next year?

So i'm really interested in doing HSPS at Cambridge, but Im not sure if i would be wasting an application by applying.
In terms of GCSEs i got 9988776665 ( a range, i know) - obviously my performance wasn't great but it was partly (not wholly) due to becoming a young carer that academic year.

But for A-levels, I'm currently at (y12) A* A* A ( Politics, Religious studies, English language and literature)

I've also got loads of extra-curriculars that might boost my application? ( president of gospel choir, deputy head girl, editor for school newspaper, Sidney Sussex college pre- university mentee)

Cambridge ( specifically Lucy Cavendish College) has been my dream for ages. I'm just wondering now whether it's attainable?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by tamilearns
So i'm really interested in doing HSPS at Cambridge, but Im not sure if i would be wasting an application by applying.In terms of GCSEs i got 9988776665 ( a range, i know) - obviously my performance wasn't great but it was partly (not wholly) due to becoming a young carer that academic year.But for A-levels, I'm currently at (y12) A* A* A ( Politics, Religious studies, English language and literature)I've also got loads of extra-curriculars that might boost my application? ( president of gospel choir, deputy head girl, editor for school newspaper, Sidney Sussex college pre- university mentee)Cambridge ( specifically Lucy Cavendish College) has been my dream for ages. I'm just wondering now whether it's attainable?

It would not be a waste of an application, no.

Ensure you make Cambridge aware of your "young carer" responsibilities (even if they only applied at the time, and no longer apply.) Your school can do this via the Extenuating Circumstances section of your reference, and you will also have the opportunity to tell them directly (via one of the many forms they invite you to complete upon receipt of your UCAS application).

Cambridge aren't enormously interested in extra-curriculars. However they love super-curriculars (i.e. academics outside of school / college: reading books and journals, doing on-line courses, listening to academic podcasts, watching TED talks, etc. etc.) - so if you have the opportunity to do some of those, then do so.

Good luck for next year. :crossedf:
Reply 2
Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending