The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What do you mean by group meeting? Like an introduction/chance to meet other people thing? Yes, absolutely.
Reply 2
I think so! Sometimes it can be important for safety, or people aren't gonna be as open potentially if they feel like people around them could be prejudiced. There's a lot of good reasons :smile:
If we're thinking of the same thing, absolutely.
Straight allies should also be allowed though.
Original post by Bumble18
Do you think colleges should be allowed to set group meetings up for LGBTQ+ students ONLY?

I dont think it should be LGBTQ+ only, what about the other people who aren still questioning their sexuality or the people who arent lgbtq+ but still want to learn more or make more friends
there's no way to certify that someone is gay, you could just say you're trans and not out or questioning if you were cishet and had to be there. I think it should be okay for minority groups to be able to find community in people who have similar identities.
Reply 6
Original post by twinlensreflex
What do you mean by group meeting? Like an introduction/chance to meet other people thing? Yes, absolutely.

It’s to meet other people, ask questions and to share thoughts about LGBTQ+
How would you actually enforce an LGBTQ only rule? Only let people with blue hair in? Ideological purity test?
Reply 8
Original post by yona_cb
I think so! Sometimes it can be important for safety, or people aren't gonna be as open potentially if they feel like people around them could be prejudiced. There's a lot of good reasons :smile:

I do see it from this angle and agree with it, but at the same time it would be frowned upon if a group meeting was arranged only for heterosexuals. Also, what about those who are secretly gay, they’re not going to want to attend as their secret would be out
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
I do see it from this angle and agree with it, but at the same time it would be frowned upon if a group meeting was arranged only for heterosexuals. Also, what about those who are secretly gay, they’re not going to want to attend as their secret would be out

Then they wont attend... Its not mandatory.
Reply 10
Original post by nikkiblonsky
I dont think it should be LGBTQ+ only, what about the other people who aren still questioning their sexuality or the people who arent lgbtq+ but still want to learn more or make more friends

That was what I was thinking too! I was shocked to read the email saying people who are not gay/transgender etc could not attend. What happened to being all inclusive??
I don't really see the issue. Our pride society will arrange, say, bi only meetups too - the idea is to give people a space where they can talk about anything related to the specific issues they face without having to 'explain' stuff. In practice I doubt they'd turn people away anyway, unless they were clearly there to be homophobic.
No
That was what I was thinking too! I was shocked to read the email saying people who are not gay/transgender etc could not attend. What happened to being all inclusive??

yes, it is the exact opposite, since this is actually going on in your uni i'd suggest probably emailing them back to as why it is only lgbtq+
Reply 14
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
there's no way to certify that someone is gay, you could just say you're trans and not out or questioning if you were cishet and had to be there. I think it should be okay for minority groups to be able to find community in people who have similar identities.

I guess, but it’s just the unwelcomeness towards straight people that has really irritated me. Like yes, you could pretend to be gay and attend, but I would be deeply appalled for a gay person to feel they had to act straight so they were welcome in a heterosexual meeting
Do you think colleges should be allowed to set group meetings up for LGBTQ+ students ONLY?

No, and I say this as a gay dude.

If you make it ONLY for LGBT people, you actually open people up to be targeted because people who question their sexuality aren't allowed to come without basically being forced to come out. There's also no deniability for those who want to go but don't want to come out.
I guess, but it’s just the unwelcomeness towards straight people that has really irritated me. Like yes, you could pretend to be gay and attend, but I would be deeply appalled for a gay person to feel they had to act straight so they were welcome in a heterosexual meeting

why would a straight person want to attend a meeting for gay people? Lgbt people are discriminated against so it's understandable why they would want to have a space just for people like them, but there is no reason for a meeting specifically for straight people to exist.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17

Do you think colleges should be allowed to set group meetings up for Straight students ONLY?
Reply 18
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Then they wont attend... Its not mandatory.

No it’s not mandatory, but they might really want to go whilst also wanting their secret to stay secret. Saying only LGBTQ+ people can go would make it obvious they are within that grouping
Reply 19
Original post by ANM775
Do you think colleges should be allowed to set group meetings up for Straight students ONLY?

No definitely not, I would be appalled if that was to ever happen and would not support it.

Latest