The Student Room Group

Chancellor delivers Budget at 12.30pm

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatusStarbright
Don't forget we will still be paying for all those things on top of this £352bn. That money is just on the measures taken to tackle the virus, it does not include the rest of it!

I know.

And here comes the quandary.

Had the government locked down earlier, it would’ve been criticised for the size of the bill.

It gets criticised for not locking Down soon enough.

I’m hoping this is a one shot deal. Come the summer, it’s just a normal round of seasonal vaccinations.

The last time this happened, it’s economic impact wasn’t really understood as we’d just completed WW1
Original post by Economixxx
You evidently don't appreciate the precarious state of the UK finances. This financial year will see us borrow more far far more than in 08/09. Debt as percentage of GDP is already far higher than at any point since around 1960. We will spend decades paying off the amount of government borrowing occurring now because the Conservatives have been shaking that magic money tree far too hard.

As I've previously explained to you, the actions of The Conservative Party over the last decade have left the economy in a state of relative stagnation. We are not prepared for this sort of economic shock.

May I suggest you read up on some basic economics? As you really seem to be out of your depth here.

I’m fully aware of that. I’m also fully aware that most country’s are in exactly the same boat.

It’ll be interesting to see if this kicks off another eurozone crisis.
Original post by Economixxx
You evidently don't appreciate the precarious state of the UK finances. This financial year will see us borrow more far far more than in 08/09. Debt as percentage of GDP is already far higher than at any point since around 1960. We will spend decades paying off the amount of government borrowing occurring now because the Conservatives have been shaking that magic money tree far too hard.

As I've previously explained to you, the actions of The Conservative Party over the last decade have left the economy in a state of relative stagnation. We are not prepared for this sort of economic shock.

May I suggest you read up on some basic economics? As you really seem to be out of your depth here.

Said poster voted for Brexit I believe. One would assume that to vote for that you have to be lacking some sort of economic understanding.
Where's this magic money tree that the Conservatives are getting all this extra cash from?
Reply 44
Sunak's three fiscal principles:

1. It is right to help people through an acute public crisis but in normal times the state should not be borrowing to pay for everyday public spending.
2. We cannot allow debt to keep rising.
3. It is sensible to take advantage of lower interest rates to invest in capital projects.

So three principles, 1 and two being the same

And yet he is going to borrow in every year forecast....
We are projected to have the highest tax burden since this 1969. This isn't primarily a consequence of covid, this is about the poor economic management we've seen over the last decade.

The left are bad for the economy, the left just spend other people's money, and those other tired clichés that Conservative voters like to parrot aren't going to protect you as the Conservative government dips their hands into your wallet.
Largest debt interest as a proportion of revenues since the 60’s - this is money which could be spent on other priorities or tax cuts.

Largest net tax rises of any budget since the Lamont budget of 1993.
Reply 47
Original post by Rakas21
Largest debt interest as a proportion of revenues since the 60’s - this is money which could be spent on other priorities or tax cuts.

Largest net tax rises of any budget since the Lamont budget of 1993.

I dont think thats true, just delete interest and its fine, but then means your point doesn't work.

Was the largest before that also after a decade of conservatives at the tiller too?
Original post by Quady
I dont think thats true, just delete interest and its fine, but then means your point doesn't work.

Was the largest before that also after a decade of conservatives at the tiller too?

You could be correct. I have looked elsewhere and the cost to GDP of servicing the debt reached 4.5% in 1985 which was the highest since the 50's.

Not sure to the second albeit looking at tax to GDP is probably a better guide of which governments actually talked the talk.
Original post by Rakas21
You could be correct. I have looked elsewhere and the cost to GDP of servicing the debt reached 4.5% in 1985 which was the highest since the 50's.

Not sure to the second albeit looking at tax to GDP is probably a better guide of which governments actually talked the talk.

General point to note on these two time periods. @quady can jump in.

85 and the 50s were both following huge upheaval. 50s were financing reconstruction and the setting up of the NHS. (There were still bomb damaged building in the U.K. from WW2. 85 want too long after the 70s, winter of discontent and all of that.

It seems to be a cyclic series of good and bad. Somebody gets left holding the fort during the bad times. Sorts it out. Somebody else takes over when it’s sorted and then it goes bad. Once it’s gone bad , somebody else takes over, sorta it out.

I can’t blame any government at the money for the deficit. This pandemic is going to financially hurt whoever is in power.
Original post by SHallowvale
Where's this magic money tree that the Conservatives are getting all this extra cash from?

They’ve harvested from the Labour orchard.
The poor state of the nation's finances is more than about coronavirus. It is a consequence of a government that simultaneously borrowed recklessly for over a decade and failed to invest in the country. As The Times point out, it is the middle classes and profitable businesses, the very backbone of the economy, that will pay for the government's folly.
Original post by _Wellies_
The poor state of the nation's finances is more than about coronavirus. It is a consequence of a government that simultaneously borrowed recklessly for over a decade and failed to invest in the country. As The Times point out, it is the middle classes and profitable businesses, the very backbone of the economy, that will pay for the government's folly.

It always is those people in the middle who are squeezed the most, this is nothing new.
It always is those people in the middle who are squeezed the most, this is nothing new.

The simple way the taxation system works you get penalised for earning more money and being successful. And people wonder why millionaires hide money in the Caymans.

Worth a watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wx5PYZIWcQ

nobel Laurent in economics Milton Friedman.
Reply 55

How....?

Like what was in the budget that squeezed the middle more than anyone else?
Reply 56
Original post by imlikeahermit
The simple way the taxation system works you get penalised for earning more money and being successful. And people wonder why millionaires hide money in the Caymans.

Hide money in a British Overseas Territory...?
Original post by Quady
Hide money in a British Overseas Territory...?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve
Reply 58

Indeed, the Laffer Curve is why Norway has a tax to gdp ratio 5% higher than the UK for tax revenue optimisation.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Indeed, the Laffer Curve is why Norway has a tax to gdp ratio 5% higher than the UK for tax revenue optimisation.

It’s also got a big f**k off sovereign wealth fund and a highly productive workforce.

Apples and oranges.

Every time tax goes up, tax revenue goes down.

Remember when Labour said there was no money left when they were bites out? The last thing they did was raise the upper tax limit from 40% to 50%. They knew what it would do but left a political bony trap as they new the next government in would have to lower it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending