The Student Room Group

Yr 10 student asking for help

Hey all I was just wondering what the best revision tips you could give me were?
And if there were any apps/websites you would suggest using for GCSE courses?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S.K.M
Hey all I was just wondering what the best revision tips you could give me were?

hi, im year 11 and i find seneca quite useful. i get into a sort of trance and just end up doing loads of them.
Original post by robbiesimons11
hi, im year 11 and i find seneca quite useful. i get into a sort of trance and just end up doing loads of them.

Seneca is good for a basic understanding of a concept, PMT and maths genie are good for gcse. physics maths tutor also helps a lot at GCE
Original post by robbiesimons11

schools pay subscription for seneca but still is use full im curently yr 11 and a good thing isStudyBlue Flashcards & Quizzes.
Reply 4
i use gcsepod for history, if you school has it. also, use the specification for science. seriously. it has saved me a lot of time and pain. seneca is really good too
PMT.
I find Corbettmaths' videos helpful, their every day sheets are good for quick revision to pick up any little things you might've missed too, and you can choose your level and work up.
Also, as Hrburman said, the spec saves a hell of a lot of time at times, especially if the course seems a bit sort of 'vague' or longwinded.
Reply 8
Original post by S.K.M

the youtube channel 'the gcse maths tutor' for maths!!
anki (a bit technical) or quizlet (a lot easier to use and more popular i think) for flashcards
what sujects do you do?
Reply 9
Original post by tsukife
the youtube channel 'the gcse maths tutor' for maths!!
anki (a bit technical) or quizlet (a lot easier to use and more popular i think) for flashcards
what sujects do you do?

The Subjects I take are:
-Mathematics
-English Language & Literature
-Biology (Triple science)
-Chemistry (Triple science)
-Physics (Triple Science)
-Art & Design
-Spanish
-Religious Education
-History

I'm also learning Geography and Psychology in my spare time
Original post by S.K.M
The Subjects I take are:
-Mathematics
-Art & Design
-Spanish
-Religious Education
-History

woahh ur smart
for psychology i like making mindmaps
for r.s., do practice papers so you make sure you practice timings
for sciences when you get to hard topics, make SURE you ask ur teachers questions if you dont understand. you dont want to be me struggling cuz i have to revise and there's a lot i dont understand whoops. but you can watch the youtube channels cognito and freesciencelessons on top of that
make sure you rest well cuz self studying on top of school must be difficult
for spanish, flashcards! i recommend anki but it's a bit technical so you can use quizlet instead :smile:
Reply 11
woah, thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it
Original post by S.K.M
The Subjects I take are:
-Mathematics
-Art & Design
-Spanish
-Religious Education
-History

Hi I'm in year 10 too! My school uses DrFrostMaths, which is super helpful for maths, with worksheets, online practise, and instructional videos, but I think that you might be able to sign up for that as an individual. Also, seneca and quizlet are really good. I use a website called Savemyexams for past paper questions, but it requires a paid subscription and only offers english maths and triple science question banks, but does sort questions by topic which can be useful. I use a youtube channel called Cognito for biology. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by S.K.M

There's an app that I use called Adapt. You choose the subjects your doing and then a date that you would like to have everything revised by and then it sets you a time table for the days/ amount of time a week you want to revise! It really helps me keep on track of my revision and I used it for my mock exams at GCSE .
Also I suggest just do lots and lots of exam style questions for subjects like maths and sciences. You will usually find that once you've done enough past exam or exam style ones that you will know how to answer every type of question - then in the exam its just a case of the numbers in the question have changed but its asking you to do the same method/thing you have done so many times before!
Reply 14
Original post by S.K.M
The Subjects I take are:
-Mathematics
-Art & Design
-Spanish
-Religious Education
-History

Id be happy to help recommend artists to research or help you with your Art and Design GCSE. I am currently taking it at college and did it at GCSE.
Reply 15
Original post by EV16
Id be happy to help recommend artists to research or help you with your Art and Design GCSE. I am currently taking it at college and did it at GCSE.

Thank you, I am currently working on an identity project for Art and Design and i do need some artists which can link to identity. Possibly with different styles/techniques and colour schemes.
Reply 16
There are plenty of apps for gcse. I use gcse pod, Seneca, and bbc Bitesize they are all helpful
Reply 17
Original post by S.K.M
Thank you, I am currently working on an identity project for Art and Design and i do need some artists which can link to identity. Possibly with different styles/techniques and colour schemes.

I did this theme too in year 10. Have you narrowed down your theme yet? I did tattoos as my subtheme for Identity.
For my work before I chose my own subtheme, my favourites were Luke Dixon (draws with straight lines), Caroline Grohs and Alana Dee Haynes are very similar but I did both, Maurizio Anzeri and The Black Math (his work is really simple but he's a newer artist and my teacher had never heard of him but she really liked it). JJ Adams was a key artist that inspired my final piece for that theme too :smile:
Some artists that could work for this that I have researched at A-Level are Rupert Shrive, Mark Powell (he draws on maps which can show where somebody comes from or relates to) and Francis Bacon (his work is seen as quite dark/aggressive but its really different and good to recreate, you can use lots of different things to replicate his style)
Reply 18
@Ev16 Wow I haven't heard of any of them artists which is a good thing really because now i can expand my knowledge. I haven't had to narrow down my theme yet. so far in the project i've done numerous self-portraits in the style of artists like Vincent Van Gogh and Picasso, made a mindmap about me to draw ideas from, made 2 more self-portraits from those ideas, about 5 detailed studies of parts of those self-portraits and now i'm linking artists to my work. (And that was all over the past 9 weeks). Why did you pick tattoos as your subtheme?
Original post by S.K.M

The BBC bitesize app is really good, it has all the courses specific for the exam board. I found making short hand notes or a mindmap to summarise a topic best and for key points making flash cards. Seneca is also very useful for revision.

Quick Reply

Latest