The Student Room Group

A2 chemistry

Help!!!!! How am I naming this molecule eg I know queatetnary amine structure but I don’t understand how this is named could someone explain
(edited 3 years ago)
I can’t see the molecule but for quaternary amines you first identify the longest chain this goes before amine in the name.

So if the longest chain is 4 you have butanaminium (ammonium as it is a a quaternary salt if it was tertiary it would be an amine)

Then for the groups attached to the nitrogen you put N before them like you would normally but a number before them so if 3 methyl groups N,N,N-trimethylbutan-1-aminium

At A-level I’ve only ever really seen tertiary amine so theres not really any reason to panic too much about this :biggrin:

You might wanna check this with your teacher
Reply 2
Original post by Hellllpppp
I can’t see the molecule but for quaternary amines you first identify the longest chain this goes before amine in the name.

So if the longest chain is 4 you have butanaminium (ammonium as it is a a quaternary salt if it was tertiary it would be an amine)

Then for the groups attached to the nitrogen you put N before them like you would normally but a number before them so if 3 methyl groups N,N,N-trimethylbutan-1-aminium

At A-level I’ve only ever really seen tertiary amine so theres not really any reason to panic too much about this :biggrin:

You might wanna check this with your teacher

ive attached the question below for a better idea of what i meant to ask
Original post by Danyal124
ive attached the question below for a better idea of what i meant to ask

It’s quaternary because there’s 4 groups attached to the N. You can also guess that it’s quaternary because it has a + charge. Because of this charge it becomes a salt with anions such as Bromide ions.

The CH3Br can be used to substitute (swap with the H groups) on NH2, excess CH3Br means multiple substitutions can occur.
Original post by Danyal124
Help!!!!! How am I naming this molecule eg I know queatetnary amine structure but I don’t understand how this is named could someone explain

Quick Reply

Latest