The Student Room Group

Sheffield A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Hi @silly mili,

The university summer open days and applicant days are separate events, with slightly different activities going on. Our summer open days are open to the general public, and are primarily aimed at supporting prospective students that have not yet applied to university. An applicant day is only open to students who have received an offer to study at Sheffield via UCAS, and are bookable online via MUSE. You are welcome to attend an applicant day before choosing your firm and insurance choices too :smile:

At an applicant day, you'll be able to meet staff and current students from the Medical School, as well as find out more about the course. There will also be opportunities to explore virtual talks, and find out more about what it is like to study at Sheffield (such as accommodation options and the Students Union).

When I was deciding where to put as my firm choice, I found attending an applicant day really valuable to find out more about Sheffield (so can definitely recommend! If you have any more questions, just let me know

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics

thank you so much, that definitely clears things up for me i was a bit confused because i saw they were both on the same day but I booked mine via MUSE so i'm sure it's the right one!
Original post by delunahotel
Does anyone know how diverse sheffield is?

why does that matter
Original post by TheDemeaning
why does that matter

Loooool 🤣 diversity is an important part of a lot of individuals’ decision making when choosing where they’re gonna stay for the next 5 years if you can’t see why then......Yh loooool
Original post by Ensoetre
Loooool 🤣 diversity is an important part of a lot of individuals’ decision making when choosing where they’re gonna stay for the next 5 years if you can’t see why then......Yh loooool

I don't see why it should...

I thought the whole point was to firstly get into medicine and then if you have an option between a few to analyse their course structure and quality of teaching etc.. then make a decision.

unless some people are planning to study medicine just for diversity reasons. Idk but I don't see why it's a priority at all.
Original post by TheDemeaning
I don't see why it should...

I thought the whole point was to firstly get into medicine and then if you have an option between a few to analyse their course structure and quality of teaching etc.. then make a decision.

unless some people are planning to study medicine just for diversity reasons. Idk but I don't see why it's a priority at all.

because if youre a poc you feel more comfortable when yk that there are other poc around you... also it’s just interesting to be surrounded by lots of cultures + if im gonna be there for 5 years i should definitely consider who im gonna be interacting with :smile:
because if youre a poc you feel more comfortable when yk that there are other poc around you... also it’s just interesting to be surrounded by lots of cultures + if im gonna be there for 5 years i should definitely consider who im gonna be interacting with :smile:

poc?
Original post by cinnamon rolls
Hi, I was wondering whether Sheffield is a safe city to live in and whether you feel safe living in Sheffield?

100000% Sheffield is definitely one of the safest cities iv'e ever been to! i live in Endcliffe and the walk to the med school is along a main road so you'd feel safe in winter when you're walking early in the morning/later in the evening. The medical school is a little bit out of the city centre so its in a really good location and i've never felt scared walking anywhere. a few of my friends live in city accommodation and they've also said they feel safe! the uni run this taxi scheme where if you're on a night out and don't have any money for a taxi/phone died then you just show your u card and sort it out the next day which is really good for when you're going out at night!

Hi @delunahotel,

I know that @University of Sheffield Students can probably answer this question a lot better than me, but I would just like to say that the university and city is a very diverse place to live. Around 30% of the student population is international students, coming from over 140 countries - back in 2019 Sheffield was ranked as one of the most international universities in the world!

In the city centre (not far from campus) there is lots of shops and restaurants catering to a wide range of different cultures, and the Students Union hosts lots of cultural and national societies to help you connect with like-minded people. During my degree, I met people from a wide range of backgrounds - some of which I am still friends with today! The atmosphere of Sheffield and the uni is very community focused, and its not unusual to find yourself having a conversation with a stranger on the bus or in a café (you can't beat Yorkshire hospitality).

- Ben :smile:
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics

from 2021 Sunday times good uni guide, Sheffield uni as a whole has 77.4% state school, 10.9% private school (rest are grammar), 20.9% ethnic minority, 33.1% first gen at uni, 9.4% from deprived areas
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Milliespencer
Hey Guys! congrats on getting an offer!!! I'm a first year medical student at Sheffield. If you have any questions about anything (uni life/accom/the course itself) im happy to answer them! :smile:

Hi, thank you for any advice. I was wondering what kind of exams there are on the course and how frequently you are tested? I had read it is just end of year but that doesn’t seem much . Are there many essays or is it mostly multi choice? Do you really not need any books?
Do you get time to commit to extra curricular groups? Also wondering if they try to put graduates together in accommodation or is it just random?
Thanks again.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fablad
Hi, thank you for any advice. I was wondering what kind of exams there are on the course and how frequently you are tested? I had read it is just end of year but that doesn’t seem much . Are there many essays or is it mostly multi choice? Do you really not need any books?
Do you get time to commit to extra curricular groups? Also wondering if they try to put graduates together in accommodation or is it just random?
Thanks again.

I'm not the person you replied to but I'm a second year medical student at Sheffield so I can answer some of your questions. The course is split up into phases (which don't correspond with the years all the time) and the big exams will be at the end of each phase but there can be other exams throughout the phase as well.

In first year (also known as phase 1), there are 3 exams at the end of the year (one multiple choice, one short answer written paper, and one anatomy exam which has lots of stations and is also multiple choice). There are also 4 non-exam assessments called SSCs (student selected components) - an essay, a report, a poster, and a powerpoint presentation

In second year (phase 2a), there are 2 exams at the end of the year (one multiple choice and one short answer written paper). There are also 2 clinical skills exams, done between January and March. There is an SSC that is a research attachment in the first 6 weeks but that is only for those on the A100 course as the GEM people do something else during that time.

Then the next phase which is 2b (runs from June to December when you move from second year into third year) has exams in November time I think. I'm not entirely sure how many exams there are but I know there is an OSCE during that exam period. There is then another SSC after those exams. I'm also not entirely sure about the exams and other assessments after that.

In terms of books, Sheffield doesn't recommend buying textbooks as all of the ones they recommend are found in large numbers in the library and you can get many of them in the online library. I haven't bought any textbooks so far and I haven't found myself needing to read through textbooks a lot.

I have found that there is definitely enough time to do other things outside of the degree. The course for me so far has not been so intense to the point where I can't get involved with extra activities.
Reply 92
Hey Guys! congrats on getting an offer!!! I'm a first year medical student at Sheffield. If you have any questions about anything (uni life/accom/the course itself) im happy to answer them! :smile:

Thank again.

Original post by Emily5243
I'm not the person you replied to but I'm a second year medical student at Sheffield so I can answer some of your questions. The course is split up into phases (which don't correspond with the years all the time) and the big exams will be at the end of each phase but there can be other exams throughout the phase as well.

In first year (also known as phase 1), there are 3 exams at the end of the year (one multiple choice, one short answer written paper, and one anatomy exam which has lots of stations and is also multiple choice). There are also 4 non-exam assessments called SSCs (student selected components) - an essay, a report, a poster, and a powerpoint presentation

In second year (phase 2a), there are 2 exams at the end of the year (one multiple choice and one short answer written paper). There are also 2 clinical skills exams, done between January and March. There is an SSC that is a research attachment in the first 6 weeks but that is only for those on the A100 course as the GEM people do something else during that time.

Then the next phase which is 2b (runs from June to December when you move from second year into third year) has exams in November time I think. I'm not entirely sure how many exams there are but I know there is an OSCE during that exam period. There is then another SSC after those exams. I'm also not entirely sure about the exams and other assessments after that.

In terms of books, Sheffield doesn't recommend buying textbooks as all of the ones they recommend are found in large numbers in the library and you can get many of them in the online library. I haven't bought any textbooks so far and I haven't found myself needing to read through textbooks a lot.

I have found that there is definitely enough time to do other things outside of the degree. The course for me so far has not been so intense to the point where I can't get involved with extra activities.

Thanks for such a detailed answer, that really helps. You hear so many stories about not being able to take part in other groups. 😃
Original post by Fablad
Thanks again.

hey! I think Emily answered the question about exams!
in regards to groups, you have free time in first year to join groups. I joined the medics netball and the uni keeps you off timetable Wednesday afternoons to join sports team. you also have friday afternoons free most week!

In regards to accommodation, i can only speak about endcliffe/ranmoor as this is where i live. but when you apply you can view all of the flats and everyone has a profile and you click on peoples names and they've got like a bio which usually includes what course they're doing / if they like going out / hobbies and also their age so you get to pick your flatmates.

Hope this helps
Reply 94
hey! I think Emily answered the question about exams!
in regards to groups, you have free time in first year to join groups. I joined the medics netball and the uni keeps you off timetable Wednesday afternoons to join sports team. you also have friday afternoons free most week!

In regards to accommodation, i can only speak about endcliffe/ranmoor as this is where i live. but when you apply you can view all of the flats and everyone has a profile and you click on peoples names and they've got like a bio which usually includes what course they're doing / if they like going out / hobbies and also their age so you get to pick your flatmates.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your help. That’s sounds perfect!
Hi, does anyone know if there are any other open days other than on the 17th and how long the open day is?
Original post by JoePatmore
Hi, does anyone know if there are any other open days other than on the 17th and how long the open day is?

Im not sure if there are any more other than the 17th but the one on March 20th lasted about 1hr30mins
Original post by aoifeculkin7
Im not sure if there are any more other than the 17th but the one on March 20th lasted about 1hr30mins

Thanks!
could any current med students answer a few Questions about Sheffield:
-whats Sheffield like to live in - do you like it? what is best and worst about it (aside from hills)?
-is there enough clinical placement. 10 half days in y1 doesn't sound like much although they make a point of saying that they do a lot of clinical placement early on
-what do you like best and least about the med school and uni as a whole? is there anything for you that makes/made it stand out compared to other med schools?
Original post by Merriewoodcock
could any current med students answer a few Questions about Sheffield:
-whats Sheffield like to live in - do you like it? what is best and worst about it (aside from hills)?
-is there enough clinical placement. 10 half days in y1 doesn't sound like much although they make a point of saying that they do a lot of clinical placement early on
-what do you like best and least about the med school and uni as a whole? is there anything for you that makes/made it stand out compared to other med schools?

I'm a second year medical student at Sheffield.

1. I really like Sheffield. I'm originally from a small town so it's nice that Sheffield doesn't feel too big and everything you need is either a walk away or short bus ride away. There are lots of green spaces in Sheffield as well for walking and running - there are 3 parks all within 5 minutes of where I live. I actually don't mind the hills as they keep me fit. I don't really have any negatives that I can think of right now.

2. You have more than 10 half days. There is a two week hospital placement in first year and a half day just observing a GP. There are lots of opportunities to speak to patients and improve history taking outside of these placements. You have other GP sessions (12 half days in first year and 12 half days in second year) where you are not observing appointments but you get the opportunity to speak to patients about their conditions. In one of the first year assignments, you are put in pairs and you visit a patients house to talk about the chronic condition(s) they have - although I don't know how COVID has changed this. There are 3 extra sessions in first year where, again, you have the opportunity to speak to various patients about their health. So, you don't get a huge amount of clinical exposure before clinical years but when I was looking at medical schools, most of the ones I looked at didn't have massive amounts either.

3. I thing one of the best things about the med school is the MedSoc - there are lots of different societies to join ranging from mroe academic societies, to societies for different medical specialties to medic sports societies. We have an entire society dedicated to students in higher years putting on revision sessions for the students in the years below them which really helps you figure out how much information you need to know. You can also get involved yourself - I'm going to be running one of these revision sessions for the first years with 2 other second years so I can gain some teaching experience. Of course, COVID has interrupted most of my uni experience and some of the ways the med school has handled things hasn't been great. For example, there is a lot of confusion about what is going to be on the exam we have in may and lots of mixed messages from the med school - one person telling us to learn certain things like dermatology and one person saying that there is no need to learn dermatology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending