The Student Room Group

RLMT discussion

The BMA tweeted saying UK grads will be getting posts so hold on there!!

The RLMT messed things up big time, UK grads should be given priority just like how other countries priorities there's. FPAS points for those studying abroad shouldn't be deemed the same as those who went to UK universities! People who fail to get in here go there and are compared to an overall less able year group with lower educational standards. Government is just trying to cheapen labour and doesn't care about the quality

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

The RLMT messed things up big time, UK grads should be given priority just like how other countries priorities there's. FPAS points for those studying abroad shouldn't be deemed the same as those who went to UK universities! People who fail to get in here go there and are compared to an overall less able year group with lower educational standards. Government is just trying to cheapen labour and doesn't care about the quality

Are you saying that those who went to non-UK medical school are not eligible?

I understand our frustration but please let us not do this.
In my opinion IMG’s have to work twice as hard! They take exams and pass finals wherever they have studied, then take anywhere from 2-5 extra exams to get into foundation training and practice in the UK.
Medicine is a competitive profession and we are going to compete constantly and forever in this profession. I mean the process of getting in was torturous! And to think we were children at the time going through such rigour!
The competition range has broadened and the truth is we haven’t met expectation this time despite all we tried unfortunately.
The “less deserving IMG’s” who couldn’t get into UK medical schools did better than us. It’s a hard pill to swallow but it’s the truth.
Also, it isn’t about then not getting in, some actually study abroad because it is way cheaper. They won’t have to pay back student loans for 10 years.
This year was basically may the best man win, and we weren’t that this time.
I think we should focus on what we have ahead of us, be positive that we’ll be allocated and not blame IMG’s for our current situation cos if they’ve worked hard, they deserve their win.
In my opinion IMG’s have to work twice as hard! They take exams and pass finals wherever they have studied, then take anywhere from 2-5 extra exams to get into foundation training and practice in the UK.
Medicine is a competitive profession and we are going to compete constantly and forever in this profession. I mean the process of getting in was torturous! And to think we were children at the time going through such rigour!
The competition range has broadened and the truth is we haven’t met expectation this time despite all we tried unfortunately.
The “less deserving IMG’s” who couldn’t get into UK medical schools did better than us. It’s a hard pill to swallow but it’s the truth.
Also, it isn’t about then not getting in, some actually study abroad because it is way cheaper. They won’t have to pay back student loans for 10 years.
I think we should focus on what we have ahead of us, be positive that we’ll be allocated and not blame IMG’s for our current situation cos if they’ve worked hard, they deserve their win.

Truly well said, and thank you for pointing out the obvious of may the best man win and it wasn't us. And posting such comments is just going to aggravate the IMGs in this forum rather than you just venting out your frustration.
Truly well said, and thank you for pointing out the obvious of may the best man win and it wasn't us. And posting such comments is just going to aggravate the IMGs in this forum rather than you just venting out your frustration.

I don’t know if I’m the one missing your point or you’re the one missing mine but OK Dear 🙂

It's not a popular stance but I do agree, it is now overall , the hard pill to swallow is exactly that but that's a really important part of the whole resilience that we need to develop not just for career but for life in general.

As much as we ought to be positive about the whole situation, I won't be at ease until we actually get allocated through the UKFPO system and sign a contract.

I hope this commitment from the DHSC is honoured, it would seem nonsensical and negligent from the UK organisations in charge to fund UK medical undergrad training then *potentially* not utilise their investment in the UK graduates at the end of it all. This would probably continue to encourage more doctors to leave the UK.

Thank you,
The only thing is that IMGs entering at FY1 will be paid the same, so the point about cheaper labour doesn't really stand.
Try and stay positive :smile: I know it's hard.
It's not a popular stance but I do agree, it is now overall , the hard pill to swallow is exactly that but that's a really important part of the whole resilience that we need to develop not just for career but for life in general.

As much as we ought to be positive about the whole situation, I won't be at ease until we actually get allocated through the UKFPO system and sign a contract.

I hope this commitment from the DHSC is honoured, it would seem nonsensical and negligent from the UK organisations in charge to fund UK medical undergrad training then *potentially* not utilise their investment in the UK graduates at the end of it all. This would probably continue to encourage more doctors to leave the UK.

*now overall more fair

*looks like it's HEE
XD

Shame on you! This is the most asinine and tone deaf comment I heard for some time now. „Cheapen Labour and doesn’t care about quality “? Unlike you, IMGs do end up more competent and knowledgeable because they actually go through far and beyond to demonstrate that they have the necessary skills and knowledge to practice. You are just a salty crappy lad who got nothing better to do than talk about your self righteous entitlement. Instead of sharing you anti-IMG sentiments and eluding to how much you would love to see them get passed by in the reserve list, maybe try to have a good heart and wish for everyone to get allocated
Are you saying that those who went to non-UK medical school are not eligible?

No, BMA have just said UK grads. The reserve list is massive this year
Did IMG’s not apply for training in their country of graduation or non-UK home country? Why not?
Do want to point out that doctors have not had a proper pay rise in years

FYI When supply increases the cost of labour goes down

People are being extremely passive here which is why governments are screwing round with doctors. Should be more like Canada, USA etc. Even Australia respects UK degrees and recognised them as more equivalent than those of other countries. BMA has said they’ll create jobs for UK graduates this year but looking at the size of things i doubts they’ll do this next year
Are we really having this argument right now? 😂 where is the solidarity

Said someone who doesn’t know the difference between there’s and theirs. Oh and also priorities and prioritize :smile:
You better be careful with your spelling when prescribing drugs 😂

It's generally advisable to do some research on the subject you're commenting on.

Firstly, many IMGs are graduates of prestigious medical schools. So your comment re "people who fail to get in here go there" is just nonsensical.
Secondly, IMG have had to pass PLAB1, PLAB2 +/- UKFPO's clinical assessments in order to get a place in the foundation programme. By insinuating IMGs are poor "quality" doctors is by proxy saying that GMC and UKFPO's assessment standards are subpar. Thats quite a bold comment there.
Lastly, as someone else correctly pointed out, international F1's get paid the same as local F1s. So this "cheapen labour" claim is simply untrue.

It's a stressful time for sure, but laying blames and spewing nonsense to undermine your potential future colleagues is quite a negative demonstration of character.
Do want to point out that doctors have not had a proper pay rise in years

FYI When supply increases the cost of labour goes down

People are being extremely passive here which is why governments are screwing round with doctors. Should be more like Canada, USA etc. Even Australia respects UK degrees and recognised them as more equivalent than those of other countries. BMA has said they’ll create jobs for UK graduates this year but looking at the size of things i doubts they’ll do this next year

I think you need to actually realise certain things.If you haven’t heard the news, the UK is set to implement apprenticeships for doctors. That is people who do not go to medical school but learn medicine while in the job and they get paid a stipend. It will run for 60 months (5 years) and they get to be doctors after. No student loans, no jumping hoops they just learn on the job like in ancient times and get paid.
All they need are GCSE’s and/or A levels. The proposal has already been passed and approved by the GMC, UKFPO and a number of Trusts.
If you think IMG’s will “cheapen” Labour please think again.

Also I had the opportunity of doing some electives in 3 countries (Cuba, South Africa and Nigeria) and I realised that our “hospital rotations” and F1 (up to F2) was a total joke!!
We have it easier and I from the UK was the least skilled especially with my hands on.
I think we need to travel more to realise this.

While to UK has built a name for itself and regardless of what it is a UK degree will be respected, those of us on the reserve list did not just do well enough. If the same system was implemented in Australia or Canada we would not get in.
I don’t know what your EPM and SJT score was, but mine was 34 and 30(point something) respectively. With this I would have still been on the reserve list if it were last year with it without IMG’s.
I am gutted but I know I just didn’t have the right strategy for the SJT. There are IMG’s who had 41 on the SJT.
Just so you know, there are more IMG’s on the reserve list than UK graduates
We are not entitled to anything if we do not meet the cut off it’s as simple as that.
With that being said, majority of us will get allocated.
Part of adulthood and life is taking responsibility.
Light and love
I think you need to actually realise certain things.If you haven’t heard the news, the UK is set to implement apprenticeships for doctors. That is people who do not go to medical school but learn medicine while in the job and they get paid a stipend. It will run for 60 months (5 years) and they get to be doctors after. No student loans, no jumping hoops they just learn on the job like in ancient times and get paid.
All they need are GCSE’s and/or A levels. The proposal has already been passed and approved by the GMC, UKFPO and a number of Trusts.
If you think IMG’s will “cheapen” Labour please think again.

Also I had the opportunity of doing some electives in 3 countries (Cuba, South Africa and Nigeria) and I realised that our “hospital rotations” and F1 (up to F2) was a total joke!!
We have it easier and I from the UK was the least skilled especially with my hands on.
I think we need to travel more to realise this.

While to UK has built a name for itself and regardless of what it is a UK degree will be respected, those of us on the reserve list did not just do well enough. If the same system was implemented in Australia or Canada we would not get in.
I don’t know what your EPM and SJT score was, but mine was 34 and 30(point something) respectively. With this I would have still been on the reserve list if it were last year with it without IMG’s.
I am gutted but I know I just didn’t have the right strategy for the SJT. There are IMG’s who had 41 on the SJT.
Just so you know, there are more IMG’s on the reserve list than UK graduates
We are not entitled to anything if we do not meet the cut off it’s as simple as that.
With that being said, majority of us will get allocated.
Part of adulthood and life is taking responsibility.
Light and love

Yes, I personally know a person who is working as a NHS Dr without ever going to medical school. It must be under this apprenticeship. The person works as a GP in training and addressed as Dr. Still for the life of me I don't understand.
Reply 18
It has been a tough year for all but the reserve list applicants have been guaranteed jobs so please stop blaming the IMGs.

1. All of them are qualified doctors from WHO accredited universities.
2. They have to write the mandatory IELTS English test that even Native English speakers struggle to pass.
3. They have to write the mandatory PLABS 1 and 2 before they can be registered with the GMC.
4. Some may have to write the mandatory Clinical Assessment Exam if they qualified before 4 August 2019.
5. These exams are not cheap so they have spent a small fortune.
6. These exams are rigorous and requires anywhere from 12 months to 24 months to complete.
7. IMGs will be paid the same as UK doctors so this invalidates the cheap labour claims.

They are changing the laws so that Nurses can be trained to become FY1s/FY2s/SHOs/Registrars so they might not even need Doctors who trained in medical school soon. I know it is difficult but the IMGs are not the enemy, pray and hope for the best.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous_15272
Said someone who doesn’t know the difference between there’s and theirs. Oh and also priorities and prioritize :smile:
You better be careful with your spelling when prescribing drugs 😂

Spelling for prescribing does not need to be absolutely 100% correct as long as it is clear and not ambiguous , I would hope that people would not grief future colleagues for this, they may have dyslexia or other difficulties. I would hope we have a supportive working atmosphere and respectful of those with English as a second language.

Just sayin'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending