The Student Room Group

What is a-level media like?

I'm thinking of taking a-level media I haven't done it for gcse but it seems quite interesting. Please can people that have done media tell me there opinions/experiences that have done a-level media or currently doing it. Thanks :smile:
I’m currently taking a level AQA media and I really like it. 30% is course work which changes each year but usually involves some sort of filming or photo shoots for adverts and magazines depending on which brief you choose. The other 70% is the exams. They are basically just theory which can be really interesting. The questions on the exams relate to case studies you will learn and they want you to apply theory to answer them. There are case studies on most areas of media including gaming, tv, film, advertising , radio, magazines, online and a few more. You usually get two case studies per topic, for example in TV our school studies ‘The killing’ and ‘No offence’. You mostly study 4 areas in them - industry, representations, audience and media language. For example in No offence we look at the representations of females or ethnicity and use feminist theory or theories of ethnicity to back our points. So in all I really like media and of you like coursework and theory based writing then it should be right for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Js048326
I’m currently taking a level AQA media and I really like it. 30% is course work which changes each year but usually involves some sort of filming or photo shoots for adverts and magazines depending on which brief you choose. The other 70% is the exams. They are basically just theory which can be really interesting. The questions on the exams relate to case studies you will learn and they want you to apply theory to answer them. There are case studies on most areas of media including gaming, tv, film, advertising , radio, magazines, online and a few more. You usually get two case studies per topic, for example in TV our school studies ‘The killing’ and ‘No offence’. You mostly study 4 areas in them - industry, representations, audience and media language. For example in No offence we look at the representations of females or ethnicity and use feminist theory or theories of ethnicity to back our points. So in all I really like media and of you like coursework and theory based writing then it should be right for you.

Thank you this is really helpful :smile:
Is there anything about websites in the course?
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Is there anything about websites in the course?

For AQA media we had to look at the teen vogue website and a News website called The voice
For AQA media we had to look at the teen vogue website and a News website called The voice

Thank u 😊 bc the summary vids I’ve watched on utube dont mention websites so I had started looking into btec ict/cs for web design 😂 but now I’ve found this out I might take business instead of the btecs
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Thank u 😊 bc the summary vids I’ve watched on utube dont mention websites so I had started looking into btec ict/cs for web design 😂 but now I’ve found this out I might take business instead of the btecs

It’s not very in depth u just look at the industry side, the audience, media language and the representation in them
It’s not very in depth u just look at the industry side, the audience, media language and the representation in them

So like the reasons behind the methods used in websites and how it effects its viewer? And what industries it’s used in as well??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending