The Student Room Group

What jobs can I do with an English Lit degree besides teaching??

I have tried to look for different jobs but they just all lead towards education/teaching of some sort, which is not what I want to do.
Reply 1
It's probably easier to say if we know what you don't like about teaching or what sort of aspects of a job you like.

Big one would be content essentially writing for marketing. If you have any kind of experience writing voluntary articles (eg for the Tab) it can be a help. Look up entry-level copywriter positions (not sure how many will be going at this time). The key is to remember that you're writing not for literary merit but for marketing purposes to drive a goal and so your writing is focused around things like the user journey, search engine optimisation and so on as much as quality content.
Consider doing a Masters in Business & Management (MBM). Strathclyde offers a good programme. The advantage of this programme is that it was designed for people who dont have business studies as their first degree; it's built for people like you. Once you get your MSc in Business & Management, you can apply for graduate jobs in any company. No more thinking teaching is the only route for you.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice and this was something that could genuinely be of interest to me! However, as I am a U.K. resident I don’t think I am eligible

Original post by mike23mike
Consider doing a Masters in Business & Management (MBM). Strathclyde offers a good programme. The advantage of this programme is that it was designed for people who dont have business studies as their first degree; it's built for people like you. Once you get your MSc in Business & Management, you can apply for graduate jobs in any company. No more thinking teaching is the only route for you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by fillycheese
Thanks for the advice and this was something that could genuinely be of interest to me! However, as I am a U.K. resident I don’t think I am eligible 🤗

You will have to pay for a masters wherever you choose to study. There are similar programmes in UK unis too.
Reply 5
Original post by mike23mike
You will have to pay for a masters wherever you choose to study. There are similar programmes in UK unis too.

I am fully aware that I will have to pay. My point is that, as a U.K. resident and having to pay myself, I am not eligible for further funding to complete another masters
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by fillycheese
I am fully aware that I will have to pay. My point is that, as a U.K. resident and having to pay myself, I am not eligible for further funding to complete another masters

What do you mean another masters? You haven't done one yet have you?

https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending