The Student Room Group

Step up to social work cohort 7 2022

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody know which Uni Greater Manchester partners with. It seems that it is not Man Met.
Original post by EastwoodEm
https://www.mmu.ac.uk/social-care-and-social-work/step-up-to-social-work/

Worth asking if they assist with travel or accommodation costs.

Original post by dollywashers
I know Sunderland is one of the participant universities

Thank you both, I did some more reading and found a bit that said something along the lines of... an appropriate regional university....I do imagine there will be one and Sunderland is much better than Manchester to travel to! I've sent a couple of emails. If I get a reply before applications close I will pop it on this thread.
Original post by Bumble2020
Does anybody know which Uni Greater Manchester partners with. It seems that it is not Man Met.

I believe it's University of Salford x
Reply 123
Original post by laurenco859
Hi, this may be silly but...where do you attend university on this programme? I'm applying for North Tyneside and understand the first chunk of the course is at uni. Where will we go?

It really does depend. I'm in Nottingham (East Mids) and we are also linked with Manchester uni but all of the uni days for the East Mids are held in Nottingham. More than likely you will have a central place for your region that you have to go to and not Manchester.
Did anyone else feel there just wasn't enough words to do the questions any justice...I could have went on and on and on! guess that's the point in the shorter word count. Just don't feel like I'm hitting the points. Just have the last question left now, the account of experience...any advice?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by laurenco859
Thank you both, I did some more reading and found a bit that said something along the lines of... an appropriate regional university....I do imagine there will be one and Sunderland is much better than Manchester to travel to! I've sent a couple of emails. If I get a reply before applications close I will pop it on this thread.

Great Manchester is Uni of Salford :smile: Manchester Met covers other areas in the north like Blackpool, Etc. People living in Yorkshire and Humberside however are cover by Salford also, but aren’t expected to travel to Salford. Their lectures are run by Salford’s lecturers, but at a local university instead :smile:
Also to note, there is no other help with finances for bus pass, travel etc, that is what the bursary covers. So make sure you can get to uni.
Original post by Sully29
Great Manchester is Uni of Salford :smile: Manchester Met covers other areas in the north like Blackpool, Etc. People living in Yorkshire and Humberside however are cover by Salford also, but aren’t expected to travel to Salford. Their lectures are run by Salford’s lecturers, but at a local university instead :smile:
Also to note, there is no other help with finances for bus pass, travel etc, that is what the bursary covers. So make sure you can get to uni.

Thanks for this. Makes sense.
Original post by Sully29

Thank you! A bit more reassuring.
For anyone who was following the whereabouts of university...the North East coordinator has replied to my email. The Manchester lecturers travel to us, for the North East she said last time they used the Stadium of Light in Sunderland.
Original post by Laura25x
I've completed my application now and will submit tomorrow evening after I've 'slept on it' ☺️ on average, how long were your answers for the employment history part? My responses are between 130 - 200 words and I'm wondering whether to leave it at that or go into more detail.

Hi Laura - not sure what's right or wrong but I kept mine quite brief - around 100 words. I probably should have used it as an opportunity to go into more detail but I didn't. Not sure why now! I
Original post by dollywashers
I’ve been doing mine for ages. Trying to get little bursts of time in between all the other stuff.

I was actually ready to send mine this afternoon and when I printed out my summary I realised there is a bit in the bridging question section that I need to edit and can’t get into. It is the bit that you have to answer in 100 words about your experience. How do you edit that? I can’t seem to get to that bit of the application at all apart from starting it all over again which I am extremely reluctant to do. I have used 140 words in the 100 words and need to edit. Please help? I’ve tried everything

I am in the same boat, only I didn’t put enough in- thinking I could edit it. Did you manage to do it?
Hey! Submitted my application a few weeks ago. I've applied for Yorkshire and Humber region, hoping for Hull City Council or East Riding Council. Anyone else applied for these areas? Does anyone know what the assessment centres are like? As in what things we will be doing? I read somewhere about role play and a written essay type assessment. Thank you and good luck with your applications ☺️
Original post by brickbat
I am in the same boat, only I didn’t put enough in- thinking I could edit it. Did you manage to do it?

I'm not sure there is any way that you can edit those initial 100 words. You can view them if you click on View Summary but i don't think it ever gives you an edit option. I wouldn't worry too much - you will have expanded on those words in the application.
Has anyone read the FAQs, it says the application form is judged based on the framework, but then it also says to be successful in the application round all of your answers must score a benchmark 3. Does anyone know what the scoring criteria is as there isn't actually any number on the framework. How do we actually gain points to score at least 3?
Hi everyone!

I submitted my application yday, really don't think my answers were particularly strong as it felt there was far too much to show in our answers for the word count but we shall see!!

Does anyone know about timeline of when we will hear back if we have got through to the assessment centre stage?
Hi everyone!I submitted my application last week - I've worked for my local council in various roles of social care (front line referrals, care finding, commissioning etc) so hopefully I get accepted for at least an assessment! My only issue is, is that I don't drive. I was learning before the pandemic hit and was about 10 lessons in and doing well! And it's obviously had to stop....but the minute you're allowed to again, I'm starting up! I did put this in my application so hopefully i can get my license before I start :frown:
Original post by LauraB88
Hi everyone!I submitted my application last week - I've worked for my local council in various roles of social care (front line referrals, care finding, commissioning etc) so hopefully I get accepted for at least an assessment! My only issue is, is that I don't drive. I was learning before the pandemic hit and was about 10 lessons in and doing well! And it's obviously had to stop....but the minute you're allowed to again, I'm starting up! I did put this in my application so hopefully i can get my license before I start :frown:

I know that some local authorities say it is compulsory to have a full licence.... I believe that there are some that say it is not required... I think they are normally the inner city authorities where public transport is good.
Original post by indiae2306
Has anyone read the FAQs, it says the application form is judged based on the framework, but then it also says to be successful in the application round all of your answers must score a benchmark 3. Does anyone know what the scoring criteria is as there isn't actually any number on the framework. How do we actually gain points to score at least 3?

I've read this too, also have no idea how we gain the points either! I'm assuming there's a sort of tick list that they must mark against?
Original post by mdhayter
I know that some local authorities say it is compulsory to have a full licence.... I believe that there are some that say it is not required... I think they are normally the inner city authorities where public transport is good.

Im applying for the Lancashire area - and pn the check list it said you needed a car however in the application it said 'please give a reason why you can't and what you would do etc

I think the pandemic is a good enough reason at the moment :smile: (I hope!) But as soon as its safe I'll be going forward with lessons again!
I submitted my application on 28th March for yorkshire/humberside. :smile:

Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest