The Student Room Group

on accutane

Im on my first month- take 2 tablets a day (20mg)hopefully it works. Anyone else on it or has experienced the full course of treatment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Im on my first month- take 2 tablets a day (20mg)hopefully it works. Anyone else on it or has experienced the full course of treatment?

Yes i have! What would you like to know?
Reply 2
Original post by Lucyjordan1234
Yes i have! What would you like to know?

Did it work well? How long does it take to see results? How many mg were you on? What were the side effects you experienced? Did your acne come back after you stopped using it ? Thank you so much xx
Reply 3
It’s a while ago so I don’t remember the dose. Started to show positive effects after about 6 weeks I think. Only side effects were dry skin and particularly lips. Worked well, almost a miracle cure after a few years of tinkering with frustratingly ineffective treatments. Acne never returned at anything like the former pre treatment level. Wish I had started treatments earlier, it would have saved a lot of angst.
ok so.......
1. overall it is life-changing
2. results weren't constant, for example, in month 2 my skin has never been so good. however, month 3-4 was awful. Month 5, skin was clear again! (also it is very common to have a huge breakout in week 2, don't let that put you off, it is normal)
3. I started on 40 mg, but was put up to 60 mg. The dosage is not calculated on how bad the acne is, it is calculated by weight, I have a lot of muscle!
4. side effects were awful, you will wake up every morning feeling like you've been by a bus. EVERYTHING goes dry. Lips, scalp, nose, you won't sweat! I tried all types of moisturiser, lip balm etc. The only thing that worked for me was Aquaphor soothing skin balm, which has literally been a lifesaver. I had nose bleeds for the first couple of months, as the lining of your nose will become very dry. It is going to sound weird but put balm up your nose! Another big side effect was the back pain, but for me, I have always struggled with back pain. You must must must wear suncream every day, I didn't at the start and even though it wasn't sunny (i was on it in winter) the rays still damage your skin as it is very sensitive. So a large majority of my scars got darker in colour. Another big thing for me was piercings (idk if you have any), all 15 of my piercings got infected! If you are into exercise, you may struggle, as my body seemed to tire more quickly.
5. I haven't had a single spot since and it's been 6 months!

I just wish I had done it sooner, as unfortunately, it will not cure acne scarring!
Hope this is helpful :smile: xx

Did it work well? How long does it take to see results? How many mg were you on? What were the side effects you experienced? Did your acne come back after you stopped using it ? Thank you so much xx
Reply 5
ok so.......
1. overall it is life-changing
2. results weren't constant, for example, in month 2 my skin has never been so good. however, month 3-4 was awful. Month 5, skin was clear again! (also it is very common to have a huge breakout in week 2, don't let that put you off, it is normal)
3. I started on 40 mg, but was put up to 60 mg. The dosage is not calculated on how bad the acne is, it is calculated by weight, I have a lot of muscle!
4. side effects were awful, you will wake up every morning feeling like you've been by a bus. EVERYTHING goes dry. Lips, scalp, nose, you won't sweat! I tried all types of moisturiser, lip balm etc. The only thing that worked for me was Aquaphor soothing skin balm, which has literally been a lifesaver. I had nose bleeds for the first couple of months, as the lining of your nose will become very dry. It is going to sound weird but put balm up your nose! Another big side effect was the back pain, but for me, I have always struggled with back pain. You must must must wear suncream every day, I didn't at the start and even though it wasn't sunny (i was on it in winter) the rays still damage your skin as it is very sensitive. So a large majority of my scars got darker in colour. Another big thing for me was piercings (idk if you have any), all 15 of my piercings got infected! If you are into exercise, you may struggle, as my body seemed to tire more quickly.
5. I haven't had a single spot since and it's been 6 months!

I just wish I had done it sooner, as unfortunately, it will not cure acne scarring!
Hope this is helpful :smile: xx

THANK YOU SO MUCH OMG! This helped so much, im glad all those months paid off and you got clear skin at the end- hopefully it stays that way! wow the side effects bless you ive currently had it for 4 days hopefully in the next few months my skin starts to clear up.
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
It’s a while ago so I don’t remember the dose. Started to show positive effects after about 6 weeks I think. Only side effects were dry skin and particularly lips. Worked well, almost a miracle cure after a few years of tinkering with frustratingly ineffective treatments. Acne never returned at anything like the former pre treatment level. Wish I had started treatments earlier, it would have saved a lot of angst.

Thank you and awwwe bless you igyyyyy
THANK YOU SO MUCH OMG! This helped so much, im glad all those months paid off and you got clear skin at the end- hopefully it stays that way! wow the side effects bless you ive currently had it for 4 days hopefully in the next few months my skin starts to clear up.

It's ok!! Also document it!! Take lots of pictures, because obviously your on it for a long time and the progression is slow. You won't realise how much it has cleared up. Good luck with it :smile: xx
Reply 8
It's ok!! Also document it!! Take lots of pictures, because obviously your on it for a long time and the progression is slow. You won't realise how much it has cleared up. Good luck with it :smile: xx

AWWWH thank you and yeah good ideaa!
How often are the blood tests and if some of the levels go too high do they just stop your treatment?
How often are the blood tests and if some of the levels go too high do they just stop your treatment?

Monthly and you have some before the treatment to ensure they all okay to go ahead with the treatment and yep I presume so.
Monthly and you have some before the treatment to ensure they all okay to go ahead with the treatment and yep I presume so.

Ohhh okay thanks and what is it they’re looking for? I’m assuming cholesterol and stuff? I used to have slightly above high cholesterol will they deny me accutane?
Ohhh okay thanks and what is it they’re looking for? I’m assuming cholesterol and stuff? I used to have slightly above high cholesterol will they deny me accutane?

Urm im not too sure tbh i mean my blood count was too high they still let me have it- been on it for like 5 days now. Hopefully they will let u on it xx. Urm the blood tests check like kidney/liver issues they also do a pregnancy test
Urm im not too sure tbh i mean my blood count was too high they still let me have it- been on it for like 5 days now. Hopefully they will let u on it xx. Urm the blood tests check like kidney/liver issues they also do a pregnancy test

Oh okay 👍 is your acne bad? my GP has put in a referral for me to see a dermatologist for my mild acne due to other things not working so I’m hoping they prescribe me accutane as it seems the only treatment that’s permanent and works.
Oh okay 👍 is your acne bad? my GP has put in a referral for me to see a dermatologist for my mild acne due to other things not working so I’m hoping they prescribe me accutane as it seems the only treatment that’s permanent and works.

I have a lot of redness and red spots and yeah i guess so it is bad i just want clear skin omg and awhhhhh blesss you hopefully urs clears up too
I have a lot of redness and red spots and yeah i guess so it is bad i just want clear skin omg and awhhhhh blesss you hopefully urs clears up too

I’m exactly the same I just want to wake up one day and look into the mirror and not see spots 🤣 hopefully it all goes well for you and thank you.
I’m exactly the same I just want to wake up one day and look into the mirror and not see spots 🤣 hopefully it all goes well for you and thank you.

HOPEFULLY omg and awwwh blesss you ur welcome

Hi! They tested me for 4 things every month. full blood count, liver function test, fasting lipids, urea & electrolytes. My cholesterol on a test came back raised which really surprised me as I consider myself extremely healthy. They told me not to eat breakfast, beforehand. But didn't tell me I should be fasting for at least 12 hours before and no coffee, so I was eating at 10 at night, having a coffee in the morning and getting the blood test done at 7! Just make you sure fast properly. Also, they advise you not to drink as both Roaccutane and alcohol are absorbed through the liver, I didn't drink for 5 months however on the 6th I drunk and this showed in my liver test!
Hi! They tested me for 4 things every month. full blood count, liver function test, fasting lipids, urea & electrolytes. My cholesterol on a test came back raised which really surprised me as I consider myself extremely healthy. They told me not to eat breakfast, beforehand. But didn't tell me I should be fasting for at least 12 hours before and no coffee, so I was eating at 10 at night, having a coffee in the morning and getting the blood test done at 7! Just make you sure fast properly. Also, they advise you not to drink as both Roaccutane and alcohol are absorbed through the liver, I didn't drink for 5 months however on the 6th I drunk and this showed in my liver test!

Sounds like they test for an awful lot 🤣 last time I had a test my cholesterol levels came back high but lipids and stuff were fine I’m just worried they’ll deny me accutane as my levels are raised before starting rather than raised while on it, tbh at this point I would sign something to say I don’t care and that I want to continue with it than go back to creams and antibiotics again that have done nothing for 6 years.

Sorry one last question ... does it cause the sides of ur nose to be itchy and slightly discomforting ?

Quick Reply

Latest