The Student Room Group

Has the school years changed?

Probably. Considering the fact that I left high school at sixteen in 2011. The years were as followed.

Primary School

Year 1
Year 2
Year 3
Year 4
Year 5
Year 6

High School

Year 7
Year 8
Year 9
Year 10
Year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm British, but the school I attended was a high school. I know in Britain we also call it secondary school.
Years are the same today, plus years 12 & 13 for sixth form
Reply 3
Original post by ReadingMum
Years are the same today, plus years 12 & 13 for sixth form

When did the extra years come into effect? I'm quite sure they did not exist when I was at school. Then again, I never attended it much. But, I do recall some people going on to further education, when it wasn't mandatory.
Not every school has a sixth form and so students may need to move to one that does, or go to a college, in order to take A levels/IB/BTECs from age 16 to 18
College absolutely did exist 10 years ago...
Reply 6
Original post by Vâ„®rsions
College absolutely did exist 10 years ago...

You mean university? Because in the UK, college means something else.
Original post by Law n Order
You mean university? Because in the UK, college means something else.

no, I mean college.
Reply 8
no, I mean college.

Are you British or American?
Are you British or American?

British
British

Then, you would know that college is different to university in the UK. Right?

yes
College is optional and I’m pretty sure they don’t refer to college students by years 12/13, only sixth form students. Don’t think anyone was objecting the existence of college 10 years ago..
(edited 3 years ago)
All I want to know is when did years 12 and 13 come into effect?

They're on about college as in 16-18 education equivalent to 6th form, ie where you do A levels or equivalent to get into university.

years 12 + 13 = college.

She wasn't talking about university she was talking about years 12-13 or college i.e the time you do A-levels before uni. You got confused and then blamed it on her lol
Original post by caramelon
She wasn't talking about university she was talking about years 12-13 or college i.e the time you do A-levels before uni. You got confused and then blamed it on her lol

Yes, I did get confused, and I apologise for any offence caused. But, I thought he was American at first, and using Americanism words such as college to refer to university, and all I meant was college is something different in the UK.

The first sixth form college was set up in 1966 apparently, compulsory education post-16 came into effect in 2013 ish
When did the extra years come into effect? I'm quite sure they did not exist when I was at school. Then again, I never attended it much. But, I do recall some people going on to further education, when it wasn't mandatory.

No idea when they started calling it year 7 etc. Back in my day senior school was first form, second form etc which naturally went up to sixth form which just ran for 2 years - lower sixth and upper sixth.

Quick Reply

Latest