The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

theres a literacy and numeracy and then situational judgement test!
did anyone get shortlisted yet?
Original post by Yas7297
did anyone get shortlisted yet?

Not yet. The applications are not processed until after your regional deadline has passed. If that was fairly recent, hold tight. :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Yas7297
do you know when we get shortlisted by any chance?

Sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you. Before @annawelchh mentioned it, I did not even know you can get shortlisted. I suppose it varies from region to region. From what I've heard so far from the Nuffield staff in my region, there is no shortlist or assessment stage; however, they did mention that if selected, your host organisation may wish to assess you separately. At this point, you would have already been selected so this would serve more as a way for the host to gain a more in-depth understanding of your abilities.
Moreover, the deadline for me was 29/30 March, although they did mention that they will start matching up applications with host organisations from 26 March. It seems like it really does vary from region to region so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hope this helps😊
Original post by smalih15
Sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you. Before @annawelchh mentioned it, I did not even know you can get shortlisted. I suppose it varies from region to region. From what I've heard so far from the Nuffield staff in my region, there is no shortlist or assessment stage; however, they did mention that if selected, your host organisation may wish to assess you separately. At this point, you would have already been selected so this would serve more as a way for the host to gain a more in-depth understanding of your abilities.
Moreover, the deadline for me was 29/30 March, although they did mention that they will start matching up applications with host organisations from 26 March. It seems like it really does vary from region to region so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hope this helps😊

ohh my region is london so i guess its different
Reply 25
Original post by annawelchh
i know this is from a few months ago but so far i’ve been shortlisted to stage 2 which the deadline for the assessment is 29th march!! hoping i get through.

i put my interests as biomed and medicine so guessing it’ll be quite competitive🙂

Congratulations, that's great to hear! Please feel free to let us know how your assessment went🙂
Original post by smalih15
Congratulations, that's great to hear! Please feel free to let us know how your assessment went🙂

i just did the stage 3 assessment for the west midlands one and it was good but the deadline is the 18th to know if you get through so it’s a long wait lmao☹️ it was how to write a professional email and ordering theories/inventions in importance and explaining why
Reply 27
Original post by annawelchh
i just did the stage 3 assessment for the west midlands one and it was good but the deadline is the 18th to know if you get through so it’s a long wait lmao☹️ it was how to write a professional email and ordering theories/inventions in importance and explaining why

Sounds interesting! Is stage 3 the last stage? Or are there more stages afterwards?
Good luck to everyone on your applications! I did my placement (online 🙃) last year with a researcher from the uni of Oxford; If you need any help with applications or have questions about the experience, i’m more than happy to help out as best as I can :smile:
I'm in Northern Ireland and found out that I've been successful - but they haven't matched me with a placement yet? Did anyone else apply from Northern Ireland?
Reply 30
Original post by Hanathemedic
I'm in Northern Ireland and found out that I've been successful - but they haven't matched me with a placement yet? Did anyone else apply from Northern Ireland?

Congratulations on getting in! You're the first person I know to have heard back about a final decision. Unfortunately, I am not applying from Northern Ireland and do not know anyone else who is:frown:.

What subject choices did you put down if you don't mind me asking?
I put down biomed, biology and biochem. I think it might work differently in Northern Ireland? We got told to submit applications as soon as possible and by the end of the Christmas holidays, although the official deadline was April
The application for the Nuffield placements in London have closed! How did you all think you performed in the personal statement?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Yas7297
The application for the Nuffield placements in London have closed! How did you all think you performed in the personal statement?

I’m not in London, I’m applying for the south east but I think the personal statement was alright, but honestly took me ages to work out where to start🤣 How did you find it?
Original post by s8520
I’m not in London, I’m applying for the south east but I think the personal statement was alright, but honestly took me ages to work out where to start🤣 How did you find it?

I thought it was good but i went over the word count..like 600 words 😬
Original post by Yas7297
I thought it was good but i went over the word count..like 600 words 😬

There was a word count??? Ooops..... 😬
Original post by studentLuna
There was a word count??? Ooops..... 😬

yeah of up to 500 words..how come?
Reply 37
Original post by Yas7297
yeah of up to 500 words..how come?

I think it just said they would advise around 500 words but it didn’t matter if you went over it or were slightly over it. Same though, I think mine was about 700 whoops lol
I hope they don’t count going over mine's around 800.
Should be fine 🤞🤞🤞
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by s8520
I think it just said they would advise around 500 words but it didn’t matter if you went over it or were slightly over it. Same though, I think mine was about 700 whoops lol

It depends on the course you're going to do as well, if you want to do biomed i think they are going to be more strict with the personal statement due to the competitive nature of it

They dont really have an issue with the personal statement overall but if it is really overboard like for instance 800 words then it would be quite concerning. But it also depends on the quality of ur personal statement e.g if it is wordy or not

Latest