The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

CSM or Kingston for Graphic Design

I have a place at Kingston and am still waiting to hear back after my interview with CSM for Graphic Design. Whilst CSM have an amazing reputation, they have been ridiculous in the wait to hearing back and I feel it gives a bad impression for a potential student. (They said in my interview I'd hear within 14 days and it's been over a month), it makes me wonder whether their reputation carries them and the actual learning there may not be as good as Kingston. Kingston was rated number 1 in the UK last year for Art and design, so higher than CSM, they seem really genuine and a lot less worried about looking prestigious and instead caring about what they can offer students. However, if I do get an offer from CSM they have such a good name it almost seems ridiculous to turn them down and I don't want to regret not going, as they probably have very good connections. Any opinions??? If any current Kingston Graphic Design/ CSM GCD students have any insight that would be great! :smile:
Kingston's 'reputation (for what it's worth) is just as good as CSM.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
I think reputation will only get you so far. It isn't like CSM has a magic wand that will make your work better. Employers or clients will be looking at your portfolio and judging you on that. If they don't think your work is excellent or suited to what they need, they really and truly won't care that you went to CSM. When I look at finalists for things like D&AD and World Illustration Awards etc., finalists have studied all over the place. You are you and that won't change depending on where you study. Your best bet is to go to the place you feel offers the most nurturing and constructive environment. There's an interesting section in Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers. Very worth reading. He talks about how going to the best possible university you can get in isn't going to be the automatic correct decision. He looked at loads of studies and it turns out that unless you'll likely be in the top third of your class, you'd likely be better off going somewhere slightly less competitive. Only the top third really benefit from going to, say, Oxford, over Sheffield. The bottom 2/3rds of students at Oxford will likely have had more overall success by going to another institution where they would fall into the top third. It's interesting stuff. All that aside, I think Kingston does have an excellent reputation anyway. Good luck whatever you do!
Reply 3
Original post by Rooftops
I think reputation will only get you so far. It isn't like CSM has a magic wand that will make your work better. Employers or clients will be looking at your portfolio and judging you on that. If they don't think your work is excellent or suited to what they need, they really and truly won't care that you went to CSM. When I look at finalists for things like D&AD and World Illustration Awards etc., finalists have studied all over the place. You are you and that won't change depending on where you study. Your best bet is to go to the place you feel offers the most nurturing and constructive environment. There's an interesting section in Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers. Very worth reading. He talks about how going to the best possible university you can get in isn't going to be the automatic correct decision. He looked at loads of studies and it turns out that unless you'll likely be in the top third of your class, you'd likely be better off going somewhere slightly less competitive. Only the top third really benefit from going to, say, Oxford, over Sheffield. The bottom 2/3rds of students at Oxford will likely have had more overall success by going to another institution where they would fall into the top third. It's interesting stuff. All that aside, I think Kingston does have an excellent reputation anyway. Good luck whatever you do!

This was so helpful thank you so much! The study sounds really interesting and it's definitely given me a bit of perspective and outlook. Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending