The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Music Exam (2019)

For me, the exam was 50/50; I found section A okay (except i put the wrong notes in for the Coldplay section🤦*♂️), but apart from that it was alright. Oh, and I love Paul Simon, so I know Graceland like the back of my hand, as well as Suddenly Seymour. Section B though............... god. I was struck by the bloody E-flat major question on the Haydn. Also, I spent hours revising Within You, Without You for the 8 mark question on the Beatles, and IT WAS LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS!!! However, both the questions were quite generic, and even though the particular elements are moderately hard to write about it, it went pretty okay.

Anyone else’s opinions?
For me it was fine mostly although like you said the Beatles question was unexpected. Does anyone know the name of the folk piece with the three singers?
This is exactly what I’m trying to find out, the one with the women?
Yes! That one. Anyone?
Original post by Josie130303
This is exactly what I’m trying to find out, the one with the women?
Reply 4
It's called father s lullaby.
I found the 8 markers alright- it was the short two markers that I found hard cos they wanted really specific information.
What about you?
Thank you and yeah that was the exact same for me, the short markers were really specific things that I hadn’t covered in detail.
Thought section A was pretty straight forward,not too much on intervals, cadences or dictation so that was good, I agree about the 2 markers on haydn and the beatles as they were very specific whereas the 8 markers were pretty simple.
what was the e-flat major question on haydn?
Original post by joseph2004
For me, the exam was 50/50; I found section A okay (except i put the wrong notes in for the Coldplay section🤦*♂️), but apart from that it was alright. Oh, and I love Paul Simon, so I know Graceland like the back of my hand, as well as Suddenly Seymour. Section B though............... god. I was struck by the bloody E-flat major question on the Haydn. Also, I spent hours revising Within You, Without You for the 8 mark question on the Beatles, and IT WAS LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS!!! However, both the questions were quite generic, and even though the particular elements are moderately hard to write about it, it went pretty okay.

Anyone else’s opinions?

What was the e-flat major question on haydn
Reply 10
Original post by poppy.murray27
what was the e-flat major question on haydn?

hahaha just found this
Reply 11
Original post by joseph2004

Anyone else’s opinions?

Hi,

I am also doing AQA music this year and I was wondering whether you would be able to tell me the main topics and elements that came up in the 2019 paper so that I get a rough idea about what to revise. There aren't many practice papers so any help would be grateful.

Thanks.
Original post by AD03
Hi,

I am also doing AQA music this year and I was wondering whether you would be able to tell me the main topics and elements that came up in the 2019 paper so that I get a rough idea about what to revise. There aren't many practice papers so any help would be grateful.

Thanks.

hey im also doing it, have you found anything out yet?
the longer answers (3 mark features of the styles) are: piano music, pop music, blues, copland, classical, rock 60-70s, folk, british composers.
haydn is (2mark: the woodwind, the empty bar, the ticking motif) (8mark, timbre, dynamics, rhythm, form
beatles (2mark: within you without you- rhythm in the instrumental section and recording techniques, the bridge in help from friends) (8mark: lucy- rhythm metre melody timbre)
Original post by hhamiewazzer29
the longer answers (3 mark features of the styles) are: piano music, pop music, blues, copland, classical, rock 60-70s, folk, british composers.
haydn is (2mark: the woodwind, the empty bar, the ticking motif) (8mark, timbre, dynamics, rhythm, form
beatles (2mark: within you without you- rhythm in the instrumental section and recording techniques, the bridge in help from friends) (8mark: lucy- rhythm metre melody timbre)

thanks! do you know any of the songs names for the listening?
Original post by pinkboi123
thanks! do you know any of the songs names for the listening?

Faure des irae, chopin raindrop prelude, coldplay clocks, little rock blues, (copland) in appalachian spring, new england countryside,
mozart flute and harp concerto k229 (melodic dictation question), the kinks days, alan menken suddenly seymour, train to scarville, lady maisery fathers lullaby, malcolm arnold 4 scottish dances, ii, allegretto
Original post by hhamiewazzer29
Faure des irae, chopin raindrop prelude, coldplay clocks, little rock blues, (copland) in appalachian spring, new england countryside,
mozart flute and harp concerto k229 (melodic dictation question), the kinks days, alan menken suddenly seymour, train to scarville, lady maisery fathers lullaby, malcolm arnold 4 scottish dances, ii, allegretto

Thanks so much!
Do you know any of the set work questions it would help like crazy!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending