The Student Room Group

Vet

Hi. I want to be a veterinary surgeon and would like some advice on getting into University. I am doing my GCSEs next year and want to change schools after that. So I am looking for a good 6th form in London (near SE1) to help me get the grades i need to get into the top veterinary universities. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by alexx99
Hi. I want to be a veterinary surgeon and would like some advice on getting into University. I am doing my GCSEs next year and want to change schools after that. So I am looking for a good 6th form in London (near SE1) to help me get the grades i need to get into the top veterinary universities. Any advice?

Would it not make more sense to stay at your current school to take your A Levels?

What have your parents said about this?
Reply 2
Original post by alexx99

Hi there! I have applied for veterinary medicine and have managed to get 3 offers out of the 4 universities I applied to and I have firmed Liverpool Vet School.
Obviously meeting the entry requirements of exam results and work experience is the most important thing but just because you have these does not guarantee you a path into vet school. You need to be able to reflect on your experiences:
What has your work experience showed you about the role of a vet?
Is there anything you found surprising about work experience?
What skills did you use during your work experience placements that will be needed as a vet?
So things like that not just “I spent a week in a small animal clinic watching consults and cleaning kennels”.
For vet med you need to be an all rounder as it’s so competitive roughly 1 in 10 applicants gets a place. So you need to do things that make you stand out: student leadership roles in school, Duke Of Edinburgh award, volunteering outside of your work experience placements or sports and extra curricular activities.
My biggest piece of advice is people skills. As a vet every animal comes into the practice with an owner and obviously animals can’t talk so you need to be able to listen and communicate effectively with clients. You may have to have difficult discussions about euthanasia, tell an elderly couple they need to stop feeding their cat treats to prevent it from becoming obese or dealing with an angry farmer who’s lost a calf during a difficult Caesarian section. So as well as animal work experience you need to have experience working with people whether this be in part time employment in a cafe or working in a shop or volunteering with a youth club or something as these skills are paramount to life as a vet and can be transferred to interviews and will make you stand out.
I hope I have helped you, if you need any other help or advice just pm me I’m more than happy to discuss all things veterinary. Good luck for the future!
Reply 3
Original post by skent6
Hi there! I have applied for veterinary medicine and have managed to get 3 offers out of the 4 universities I applied to and I have firmed Liverpool Vet School.
Obviously meeting the entry requirements of exam results and work experience is the most important thing but just because you have these does not guarantee you a path into vet school. You need to be able to reflect on your experiences:
What has your work experience showed you about the role of a vet?
Is there anything you found surprising about work experience?
What skills did you use during your work experience placements that will be needed as a vet?
So things like that not just “I spent a week in a small animal clinic watching consults and cleaning kennels”.
For vet med you need to be an all rounder as it’s so competitive roughly 1 in 10 applicants gets a place. So you need to do things that make you stand out: student leadership roles in school, Duke Of Edinburgh award, volunteering outside of your work experience placements or sports and extra curricular activities.
My biggest piece of advice is people skills. As a vet every animal comes into the practice with an owner and obviously animals can’t talk so you need to be able to listen and communicate effectively with clients. You may have to have difficult discussions about euthanasia, tell an elderly couple they need to stop feeding their cat treats to prevent it from becoming obese or dealing with an angry farmer who’s lost a calf during a difficult Caesarian section. So as well as animal work experience you need to have experience working with people whether this be in part time employment in a cafe or working in a shop or volunteering with a youth club or something as these skills are paramount to life as a vet and can be transferred to interviews and will make you stand out.
I hope I have helped you, if you need any other help or advice just pm me I’m more than happy to discuss all things veterinary. Good luck for the future!

Wow, thank you so much for this advice. Great. Yes, i am already volunteering at a reptile rescue centre a horse riding school helping with lessons and have a few weeks of work lined up on a farm this summer. I am most concerned about my grades and the school i am in does not really push people who are studious and work hard so i want to be in a better environment to make sure my grades are good enough. any advice? congratulations to you for getting so many offers! amazing.
Reply 4
Original post by alexx99
Wow, thank you so much for this advice. Great. Yes, i am already volunteering at a reptile rescue centre a horse riding school helping with lessons and have a few weeks of work lined up on a farm this summer. I am most concerned about my grades and the school i am in does not really push people who are studious and work hard so i want to be in a better environment to make sure my grades are good enough. any advice? congratulations to you for getting so many offers! amazing.

I’ve pm’d you about this
Reply 5
thanks so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending