The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science with Data Analytics at University of York

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edtao3000
onlinecompsci.slack.com for the slack channel. You'll need your York email to register.

Thanks! Joined
Original post by mb120
I've just put your data in my WEKA backflip classifier and it predicts you gonna do a 540 degrees backflip in a matter of 4 weeks and leave the course

LOL! Oh dear! Which variables do I need to manipulate to have a favourable outcome in the model? :biggrin:

Tbh though, if the whole thing is as heavy going as that Cormen book, it's going to take some grit and determination to pull through.

I do like a challenge though.
Original post by RogueAlmond70
LOL! Oh dear! Which variables do I need to manipulate to have a favourable outcome in the model? :biggrin:

Tbh though, if the whole thing is as heavy going as that Cormen book, it's going to take some grit and determination to pull through.

There is limited teaching and the feedback is not enough to help you improve for the next summative. You only get the recipe to the secret sauce if you fail and have to resit a module. At that stage your grade is capped to at a merit, so if getting a distinction is important to you, you will be out of the running. You roll the dice and take your chances.
Reply 1523

a favourable outcome is you leaving the course as early as possible, not staying on the course
a bad decision against the 99% negative reviews is not an informed decision
based on your previous write up it seems that you simply do not understand any aspect of the complaints

if you already have access to the Cormen book, you already have access to 90+% of the ADS module. You simply paid an extra 650£ to get student discount at McDonald's
Thanks! Joined

I am also writing up reviews of each of my modules of my experience if you're interested to read:
https://www.houseninetytwo.com/3-modules-later-a-review-of-the-online-masters-at-york-uni/
:smile:
Original post by Becstasy
I am also writing up reviews of each of my modules of my experience if you're interested to read:
https://www.houseninetytwo.com/3-modules-later-a-review-of-the-online-masters-at-york-uni/

This is a good write-up.

TBF, an in-person MSc also leaves you alone and struggling a lot to keep pace with the modules. The Birkbeck MSc in Advanced Computer Science I did was my first ever academic experience (I do not have GCSEs or A-levels let alone a BSc) and whilst I had experience in the industry I'd say that 80% of the class struggled to keep pace. These courses try to teach a whole industry and are going for both breadth and depth - meaning condensed modules that explore a topic but by the time you've got traction with it you're already onto the next.

A younger me would say that the best thing to do is treat it like a job, and try and find 16 hours dedicated study time per week where you can focus. But the older me that lived through doing my MSc would acknowledge that life gets in the way a lot and mostly remote and part-time is a recipe to fail without some serious effort all the time one can afford to give it.

The Birkbeck experience was in-person but part-time... so this meant mostly from home, and we had a lecture equivalent to the video you had... 1hr per module per week, with virtually no time for discussion or debate. Then a "read this chapter" and some constant stream of practical tests, take-home work, and a small peppering of group work. All of that latter stuff was done from home, roughly 1hr of lecture time would translate to 6-8hrs of time spent working on it from home.

By far the most important thing is also the hardest, you spotted it too... it's "read this chapter". Because damn... compsci books are dull. That's where all the information density is though, that's where you can apply yourself and read a little behind and ahead of the chapter and flesh out a fuller context.

Good write-up 👍
(edited 2 years ago)
After long research what I should do, I am applying to Bath MSc conversion course. Even though it's much more expensive, but in someway seems safer apart few somewhat negative feedbacks. And I hope it's somewhat easier to transition to tech with CS degree, rather than only personal projects..
I hope to start in September, if everything's fine with student loan of course.
Regarding York, actually they called and followed up with me quite a few times, maybe they feel lack of applications, who knows.. If it's so bad as it sound in this thread..
Original post by Karolens
After long research what I should do, I am applying to Bath MSc conversion course. Even though it's much more expensive, but in someway seems safer apart few somewhat negative feedbacks. And I hope it's somewhat easier to transition to tech with CS degree, rather than only personal projects..
Regarding York, actually they called and followed up with me quite a few times, maybe they feel lack of applications, who knows.. If it's so bad as it sound in this thread..

That's not York calling you, it's HEP. They call themselves 'student success', but they're really just pushy salesmen. You only hear from them when the payment for the next module is due.
Original post by Karolens

Good choice. I am on the 7th unit of the Bath course and still enjoying it and learning plenty (despite being a professional software engineer). It's worth noting that the Bath course is longer than other online courses and has 12 taught units so I would say you are getting more for your money (it is longer for good reason... trying to cram a subject as deep as CS into a 1-year masters is challenging). And there are other ways to extract the most out of your money... I have a library card that is valid for 5 years of student discounts and have been able to participate in multiple societies and even receive free foreign language lessons thanks to things being held online during the pandemic. A degree should certainly help and it is something relevant that you can immediately add to your CV. I've seen plenty of people gain their first software engineering jobs whilst on the course but companies do also like to see personal projects (I don't look for this myself when reviewing applicants... there is more to life than programming!).

Most of the negative feedback on this forum came from a single student in my cohort and whilst I agree with them on some things, they are also very critical (which is fair enough, the course is a lot of money) and have used this forum just to vent sometimes. The majority of students I've spoken to over 6 cohorts seem perfectly happy. We had one assignment early on that was marked about a month late but since then all assignments have either been returned on time or early and we seem to have experienced equivalent - if not better - service than the on-campus MSc CS students in that respect. My biggest criticism would be the lack of feedback on essays, although this seems to vary from one lecturer to the next and I didn't bother pushing for more feedback (the tutors have been really good at answering questions on the Q&A forum and privately so I probably could have got it).
(edited 2 years ago)
Good afternoon everyone, it's my first post here. I want to say that Becstasy's write ups are describing properly the experience of taking this course.

I am on my 5th module right now (Big Data Analytics), I started on September 2020 and have been going non-stop together with full-time work. I am on the edge of the burnout - you can say that I can take a break, however a two month break is too long.

After passing the first 3 modules with quite good grades (Algorithms & Data Structures 89%, Advanced Programming 64%, AI and Machine Learning 91%) and waiting results for the fourth module which is Software Engineering (I will be more than happy with literally 50%), I am seriously thinking to step down with a PgCert or a PGDip and not carry on with the full MSc. The main reason is that this course is literally killing me, the context is really interesting (apart from Software Engineering which is de-motivating) but it is NOT a part time course. If you have no Computer Science background you will need 2 years of full time dedication to complete it (at least this is what it seems to me). In every module we start from 0, there is no continuation of the knowledge we get, and we are left trying to figure out what to learn and how to learn it. My motivation is gone, I am frustrated and I am not willing to destroy my personal life and health for a title (MSc) when I can get a lesser award that still counts.

If anyone has dropped out with an exit award (PGCert or PGDip) please let me know how it went and if you think it's worth it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by stem_leader
This is a good write-up.

TBF, an in-person MSc also leaves you alone and struggling a lot to keep pace with the modules. The Birkbeck MSc in Advanced Computer Science I did was my first ever academic experience (I do not have GCSEs or A-levels let alone a BSc) and whilst I had experience in the industry I'd say that 80% of the class struggled to keep pace. These courses try to teach a whole industry and are going for both breadth and depth - meaning condensed modules that explore a topic but by the time you've got traction with it you're already onto the next.

A younger me would say that the best thing to do is treat it like a job, and try and find 16 hours dedicated study time per week where you can focus. But the older me that lived through doing my MSc would acknowledge that life gets in the way a lot and mostly remote and part-time is a recipe to fail without some serious effort all the time one can afford to give it.

The Birkbeck experience was in-person but part-time... so this meant mostly from home, and we had a lecture equivalent to the video you had... 1hr per module per week, with virtually no time for discussion or debate. Then a "read this chapter" and some constant stream of practical tests, take-home work, and a small peppering of group work. All of that latter stuff was done from home, roughly 1hr of lecture time would translate to 6-8hrs of time spent working on it from home.

By far the most important thing is also the hardest, you spotted it too... it's "read this chapter". Because damn... compsci books are dull. That's where all the information density is though, that's where you can apply yourself and read a little behind and ahead of the chapter and flesh out a fuller context.

Good write-up 👍

Aww, thank you so much for reading my blog post =D
And also Kudos to you for jumping into doing your Msc without having previous educational qualifications that's impressive!!! It's reassuring to know that an in-person Msc is not that different to an online one in terms of workload.

Regarding what bebeto1914 is saying it is true about killing your personal life. I only work 1 day a week as a contractor and this leaves me 6 days a week of free time AND YET I am still, embarrassingly, struggling with the workload.

I do not have a STEM background in any way so am finding myself googling every page I am reading from the books which means stopping starting and having to reread at a slow pace then after this reading going on youtube. At the same time, I'm not on any timescale..I will take study breaks which last for 2 months + as I treat this as more of a hobby. I'll potentially graduate with my intended study breaks in about 3-4 years as I'm planning on looking for more days of work at the end of this year.

I recommend this Computer Science course for someone who not completely new at the subject and has done a previous short course like cs50x (on edx) and has basic programming skills. They really should higher the entrance requirements or provide realistic study hours because it's misleading to say this is a conversion course for complete beginners. It is for beginners if you have all the time in the world to spend learning.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by elideli
I have applied to the course and was admitted. It's true that the course is running for the first time although York is not a no-name university. Being part of the Russel Group is a good stamp of quality. The CS department seems to be well regarded and has a well-qualified teaching staff. I have researched almost every conversion MSc in CS around the world and couldn't find anything cheaper from a similarly ranked university (I'm Canadian). I know there's going to be downs as a first time running course, but I'm not looking to be handheld, I just want a programme that I'll use as a base to break-in computer science, be aware that in such a programme, you'll have to be independent and learn things on your own to succeed. The good thing is you have tons of resources available online to supplement your learning. What I really also like about the programme as opposed to others is that it's not a watered down version of an MSc CS, you study the real thing like Architecture, Algorithms & Data Structures, Advanced Programming, Machine Learning etc. York is actually delivering the course in partnership with a US company which has a long history of delivering online programmes for other institutions in the US. The online learning platform is Canvas LMS which is one of the best, not your *****y typical Blackboard or Moodle, to me, this makes a difference. The Bath programme looks very good as well but I don't think it's worth 5K more and Bath is not as well regarded as York. Some other online programmes I have looked at are Northumbria, Huddersfield, Liverpool, Staffordshire, and Aberdeen. I have done a ton of research before pulling the trigger on York, if you have any question let me know otherwise I hope to see you in the online induction :smile:

** I was looking at Research Excellence Framework results and York is on par with Manchester and Edinburgh for the quality of its research in CS.

https://results.ref.ac.uk/(S(fyjw2atnemz4rhyk1e1zytds))/Results/ByUoa/11

Hi there, could you please let us know how you did? were you able to pass the modules?
Original post by Becstasy

Thanks for the review - I have just started a thread asking about this but didnt read the latest replies.

Ironically all the reviews here make me actually want to apply for York. Because for the more theoretical(i.e. maths heavy) comp sci modules I would rather do another MSc in Advanced CompSci if I needed it. I am already a developer . So I need enough theory to understand things like networks and computer architecture (in fact I have done MOOC's on these).

I don't need things like Foundation of Computation, HCI or Entrepreneurship .. sure I like to learn about it but I don't want to sit exams on it as it won't be relevant. I'd rather focus on getting the professional qualifications alongside my degree.
Original post by CookieChick
Thanks for the review - I have just started a thread asking about this but didnt read the latest replies.

Ironically all the reviews here make me actually want to apply for York. Because for the more theoretical(i.e. maths heavy) comp sci modules I would rather do another MSc in Advanced CompSci if I needed it. I am already a developer . So I need enough theory to understand things like networks and computer architecture (in fact I have done MOOC's on these).

I don't need things like Foundation of Computation, HCI or Entrepreneurship .. sure I like to learn about it but I don't want to sit exams on it as it won't be relevant. I'd rather focus on getting the professional qualifications alongside my degree.

Really? I believe there are people here who just wanted a certificate but were still disappointed by York. If you're referring to the online MSc CS at Bath in the last part then note that you don't have to sit any exams on it.
Original post by void*
Really? I believe there are people here who just wanted a certificate but were still disappointed by York. If you're referring to the online MSc CS at Bath in the last part then note that you don't have to sit any exams on it.

Yes - that’s why I asked what specifically they were disappointed with.
There’s unfortunately not a lot of choice. Most other online MSc’s are too practical /have exams and group work.
I considered GaTech’s OMSCS but you need to have either a letter of recommendation from academics/ college credit computer science courses. Of course another consideration is I could do a few York modules and then use it to apply to GaTech but at that point I might as well finish what I started...
Original post by stem_leader
This is a good write-up.

Good write-up 👍

CompSci textbooks are boring ?!?
Maybe I am the weirdo but I really loved it when they said we had to read textbook chapters.
In fact the main reason I want a course is because I cannot prove anything . If I put a list of the textbooks I read on my CV I will look like an idiot. I tried watching the MOOC as well so I could put it on there but the text books they took the content from was better... I cannot pay attention to audio for more than 5 seconds
Original post by CookieChick

No one said they needed Foundation of Computation, HCI or Entrepreneurship. The bad reviews on this thread depict the whole student experience from assignments, modules, structure, teaching etc. The course at Bath is a good point of comparison. It's never black or white, any respectable course will have a balance between theory and practice.
@elideli not sure what your point is?
I’ve seen bad reviews for every aspect of York course. Also I have read the detailed complaint and one of the things mentioned was students without any background felt it was too hard.
For Bath - I’ve seen good reviews for the module content and teaching but not much better regarding assignment feedback etc. Here’s a thread for anyone interested

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5868698&page=24

Teaching aside the York and Bath courses are not exactly equivalent. York has a lot more ‘practical theory’ (pardon the oxymoron), for things like security engineering. Bath has a lot more academic modules on computer science. Someone without a decent grasp of mathematics or a mathematical background would need to work a bit harder for these as based on what I’ve read for a couple of courses problem sheets constitute a decent proportion of the grade. I’m not terrible at maths but not as quick as a lot of people. My time and money could be put to better use.

Again to reiterate I don’t think there is any ideal MSc conversion course. I would have gaps in my knowledge with every single one except for York. So it would be ideal if not for the terrible reviews, but I don’t have a lot of choice as it has the best output to result ratio for my use case.

Who knows maybe after a few months it will actually be so terrible that even I can’t stand it and will come back here to complain? :wink:
I completed 4 modules of this course and for reference averaged 80% including 1 resit grade, 65% without resit.(adding this because York tries to blame people withdrawing due to poor Math skills and not to do with their course quality)

Content
First of all, they would only release half a module at a time because they were still finishing the module at the last minute. They claimed it was to check for errors. Yet the content was full of errors and students would point it out and nothing would be done about it.

Ignoring the errors, the content itself was shocking. Most of it consisted of paraphrasing an introduction to a chapter of a book and then telling you to read it. Not to mention a lot of the content was directly copy and pasted without referencing and then they doubled down and said that is normal.

In one module they would have end of week quizzes. Students questioned them why the questions had nothing to do with that week’s content, they replied saying they were designed so you would have to do your own research to answer them. Reality: They were copy and pasted from a networking book end of chapter quiz but unfortunately, they didn’t align with the weeks content.

One student even noticed that one of York’s videos was a tutor just reading word to word from a book for the whole thing (no reference).

Tutors
Most of the questions directed at tutors are regarding the poorly thought out and broken assignments. What I quickly learned was that the tutors were just as clueless about the assignments as the students. Students would ask for clarification about what the assignment was about due to poorly worded questions and contradictions. Each student would then get a different answer from each tutor, confusing people even more. Then there would usually be a final clarification by the module leader 2 weeks before the deadline where they basically double down and don’t admit to the glaring faults in the assignment. These faults ranged from things such as word counts, appendixes up until the whole assignment being outright incorrect.

Towards the end of my time on the course I decided to question a tutor about some of the course content in the coding questions so then they couldn’t hide behind their excuse of "we can’t comment too much on the assignment". The guy did not have a clue, it was like talking to an online *****y AI bot. So, I just waited for them to release the solutions for these questions. Their code solutions wouldn’t even run and I don’t mean 1 or 2 typos or syntax errors, I mean the whole thing was a mess. I tried to correct it but it was such a mess I still couldn’t get it to run or workout what they were trying to do. I pointed out the errors to the tutor, nothing was done.

They generally don’t have a clue about the course content and you are better off asking a student. Then they will act annoyed if you ever ask anything and can be quite rude. Most aren’t from the real CS department; they are recruited for the online course and are paid accordingly.

Assignments
Oh boy, what an absolute shitshow. Par for the course is multiple errors, confusion over appendices, word counts. You can never get a clear clarification and even when you do, it will be wrong and you will lose marks for it.

Also your assignment isn’t about your technical skills or your theoretical knowledge or understanding. It is about your essay writing skills, that’s it.
So, you have spent weeks of your life working on this assignment, fretting over their broken questions and assignment rules and you finally hand something in. You receive your marks and your "feedback". The feedback is a few sentences which they copy and paste to each student, you learn nothing from it. Someone’s feedback for a whole section was "This is good".

"Student Success"
The cherry on top of this joke course. These people are a separate company who are tasked to recruit as many students as possible and get as much money as possible. They regularly lie to students to get them to enroll. They will also call and email you every few days trying to get you to pay for the next module, even if you have already paid, left the course, probably even when you are in your grave! Their emails don’t even include your name, just "Dear XXXX".

York are making an absolute fortune off this course but they don’t give a fk about the students. Just avoid this course at all costs, once you are in a lot of people get stuck in the sunk cost fallacy and are only carrying on because of that, they are not happy. I also thought I would never withdraw after investing that time and money but it was the best decision I ever made. It was pretty sad to see incoming students so excited to start the course and then a few weeks later being completely disappointed
(edited 2 years ago)
Regarding reply above, I wonder how much York is actually involved in this course, as it seems probably they just sold their name and that`s it. Horrible stories, horrible quality, and for 7k, omg...

On the other note, I received today unconditional offer from Bath to start at September. I have two weeks to accept or withdraw, and I am most likely to accept. What is the best way to prepare for this course? My job doesn`t require any math, my undergraduate degree did not involved any math, but I`ve done few light courses of subject whilst applying. Done half CS50 by Harvard and involved at the moment with MIT Intro to CS with Python. How heavy is math in this course? How best could I prepare myself for the studies? Would appreciate any suggestions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending