The Student Room Group

English language spoken endorsement

Hi,

Does anyone know if the grade (pass, merit, distinction) for your english spoken endorsement appear alongside your gcse results. Would you think universities require a certain grade for it. E.g im aiming to apply for dentistry at a university such as kings college and in their requirements the english spoken emdorsement is not mentioned at all. But somewhere else on their website (outside of dentistry section) it is written that they require at least a merit. Im really worried because i got a pass rather than a merit. But all my 9-1 grade for english is a 6 and all my other grades are 8s and 9s.
Reply 1
Original post by nsadra
Hi,

Does anyone know if the grade (pass, merit, distinction) for your english spoken endorsement appear alongside your gcse results. Would you think universities require a certain grade for it. E.g im aiming to apply for dentistry at a university such as kings college and in their requirements the english spoken emdorsement is not mentioned at all. But somewhere else on their website (outside of dentistry section) it is written that they require at least a merit. Im really worried because i got a pass rather than a merit. But all my 9-1 grade for english is a 6 and all my other grades are 8s and 9s.

I don't think it really matters im in Y12 also hoping to do dentistry and universities will look at your A-levels mostly and then if you passed the requirements for GCSE so tbh the English spoken endorsement really doesn't matter and you still passed so it won't affect your application at all
Reply 2
Thanks for reply. But considering they mentioned on their website (kings college websìte) would you still think it wont matter? By the way does it even appear alongside my main gcse results?
Reply 3
Original post by nsadra
Thanks for reply. But considering they mentioned on their website (kings college websìte) would you still think it wont matter? By the way does it even appear alongside my main gcse results?

You will get a certificate for the speaking along with your GSCE however for the dentistry requirements it doesn't mention the English speaking so it doesn't matter at all. Just your A-levels has a big affect on your application to get A*AA but for GCSE's the only thing they will look at is your science, Maths and English grades only. You really shouldn't be worried about the English speaking it it won't even matter
I hope this helps
Reply 4
The English Language GCSE certificate has your speaking endorsement grade on it but I've not heard of a university making it a condition of an offer.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
The English Language GCSE certificate has your speaking endorsement grade on it but I've not heard of a university making it a condition of an offer.

Screenshot_20210609-173550_Chrome~2.jpg

Here is a screenshot taken from the english language requirement of kings college (for dentistry). It mentions the spoken endorsement. Im not obssesed with kings college, but its an example of a top university offering dentistry.
Reply 6
Original post by nsadra

Here is a screenshot taken from the english language requirement of kings college (for dentistry). It mentions the spoken endorsement. Im not obssesed with kings college, but its an example of a top university offering dentistry.

Fair enough, that's what it says but I can't find it - can you give me the link to where you took the screenshot as it seems odd to include the GSCE spec and I wanted to check something
Reply 7
Original post by nsadra

Ignore my previous post, I've found it now https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/english-language

I wouldn't take it too seriously as it's a terrible list and appears to have been written by someone who knew very little about GCSEs. Higher up the list it just says you need a 6 at GCSE English Language (exam board unspecified with no mention of the Speaking endorsement). For GCSEs it only mentions AQA and OCR by name and ignores the other 3 current GCSE exam boards and it ignores all the previous specifications that mature students might have taken.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
Ignore my previous post, I've found it now https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/english-language

I wouldn't take it too seriously as it's a terrible list and appears to have been written by someone who knew very little about GCSEs. Higher up the list it just says you need a 6 at GCSE English Language (exam board unspecified with no mention of the Speaking endorsement). For GCSEs it only mentions AQA and OCR by name and ignores the other 3 current GCSE exam boards and it ignores all the previous specifications that mature students might have taken.

Thanks, a little less worried now. If i were to redo my endorsment (worst case scenario) would i have to redo all my english language exams or do i have to just do the speaking again. By the way, just out of interest what unis do you have in mind for dentistry?
Reply 9
Original post by nsadra
If i were to redo my endorsment (worst case scenario) would i have to redo all my english language exams or do i have to just do the speaking again. By the way, just out of interest what unis do you have in mind for dentistry?

Unfortunately, you can carry forward the endorsement if you re-sit the exams but you can't do the opposite - to improve the endorsement grade you'd have to re-sit everything.

I read engineering years ago :smile:
Interesting, what type of engineering are you doing? Im a gcse student really interested in electrical engineeeing, but my parents push me for the medical field. In my free time i learnt circuit analysis and some of the theories of electronics. Khan academy offers an excellent playlist on electrical engineerinv for enthusiasts like me.
Original post by nsadra
Hi,

I have done it already and no it won't be a part of your GCSE grades. You just receive a certificate for it and you are encouraged to talk about it in your college applications and interviews as well as include it when you write your first draft of your CV in year 10.

Quick Reply

Latest