The Student Room Group

A level Media

(edited 2 years ago)
A-level media, luckily isn't too difficult in linear terms, I did it too and it was definitely easier than the others - what I would recommend is revising what each question requires and how to structure it- that will get you into the top bands, and also writing quickly! unfortunately because media isnt as difficult, you dont really have much time to write your answers - but in general what rareally lly helped me was understanding the language of current news and adverts or anything that is mainstream news - this way I could feel confident knowing that whatever paper or adverts came up in my exam I would have a rough idea of the subject(s) they were talking about for example I got one about donald trump and Vladimir Putin that was in the news at the time

reading example analysis and responses from othera is also a really good way of collecting ideas - but make sure to practice forming your own opinion and thinking outside the box when it comes to representations and ideas - goodluck! :smile:
Original post by jumper_1_2
A-level media, luckily isn't too difficult in linear terms, I did it too and it was definitely easier than the others - what I would recommend is revising what each question requires and how to structure it- that will get you into the top bands, and also writing quickly! unfortunately because media isnt as difficult, you dont really have much time to write your answers - but in general what rareally lly helped me was understanding the language of current news and adverts or anything that is mainstream news - this way I could feel confident knowing that whatever paper or adverts came up in my exam I would have a rough idea of the subject(s) they were talking about for example I got one about donald trump and Vladimir Putin that was in the news at the time

reading example analysis and responses from othera is also a really good way of collecting ideas - but make sure to practice forming your own opinion and thinking outside the box when it comes to representations and ideas - goodluck! :smile:

(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by aloojameed
Thank you!
Is it a good idea to buy an a level media textbook now
and start making notes? would that be of any help now?
I want to be as prepared as I can be when I go back
Thanks again x

Are you starting your A Levels this autumn?
Thank you!
Is it a good idea to buy an a level media textbook now
and start making notes? would that be of any help now?
I want to be as prepared as I can be when I go back
Thanks again x

yep if you can! I know some exam boards don't have a text book for media but mine (being OCR) had all of the content in and was really helpful as it gave practice questions and useful insights to answer questions - if you haven't started the A-level yet I wouldn't jump into anything too complicated as the teacher will often recommend what book is best for that course and plan on how to teach it through the year but watching the set LFTVD or music videos, current political leaders and current affairs is a good way to prepare yourself :smile:
Original post by jumper_1_2
yep if you can! I know some exam boards don't have a text book for media but mine (being OCR) had all of the content in and was really helpful as it gave practice questions and useful insights to answer questions - if you haven't started the A-level yet I wouldn't jump into anything too complicated as the teacher will often recommend what book is best for that course and plan on how to teach it through the year but watching the set LFTVD or music videos, current political leaders and current affairs is a good way to prepare yourself :smile:

Thanksss :smile:))
I'll look into getting the eduquas book
I didnt do media gcse so that's why I'm a bit panicky -i really want to do well in media :smile:
Original post by Kerzen
Are you starting your A Levels this autumn?

yup september x
Reply 7
yup september x

Do you know which Board sets the syllabus/exam for Media used at your school?

If you do, you can look at the syllabus and exam papers and perhaps invest in the set text book for perusal during the summer.
Original post by Kerzen
Do you know which Board sets the syllabus/exam for Media used at your school?

If you do, you can look at the syllabus and exam papers and perhaps invest in the set text book for perusal during the summer.

:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks .I assumed media was like art and is a subject you can't physically revise for but I need to do more research .
:smile:

Download the specification for the AQA A Level in Media - it will give you a glimpse into what is covered.

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/media-studies/as-and-a-level/media-studies-7572/changes-for-2021
Original post by Kerzen
Download the specification for the AQA A Level in Media - it will give you a glimpse into what is covered.

I'll do that 👌👌

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending