The Student Room Group

FY1 Working Hours/Example Rotas

Hello hello!

Was wondering if people would be able to share an example rota for an FY1? How many hours per week?

Would this description mean we won't get day shifts (9-5pm): :frown:
'Full shifts until 930pm. Weekend daytime cover. Seven nights as part of Hospital at Night cover.'

Would really appreciate advice on how to adapt to working patterns! Worried about 30-40 minute commutes alongside long hours :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you! So if it doesn't mention weekday day shifts in the job description that doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any?
Reply 2
General Medicine!

Says it's mostly Ward based cover with out of hours cover for acute medicine as well as for general medical wards.
Agree with the above. This is normal format for describing jobs.
Reply 4
My first F1 job is acute med in a tertiary hospital (RVI newcastle). They are having rota issues so I havn't got a work schedule or rota yet. Are the hours likely to be horrid?
You should have had a generic work schedule by now and so the trust are in breach of contract, you should give the BMA a call for support with chasing this up.
Reply 6
Original post by Smile88egc
You should have had a generic work schedule by now and so the trust are in breach of contract, you should give the BMA a call for support with chasing this up.

I chased it up myself today to be told the trust haven’t given it out yet. I’ll give the bma a ring tomorrow. Thank you
Reply 7
Original post by Smile88egc

Does this also apply to Scotland?
Scotland don't have work schedules but you should have your rota with 6 weeks notice so by next Wednesday latest.
when can/should you book for annual leave and how do you know which week you will be starting on from the schedule? do you give this to the bma to look at or your actual rota

how many /long breaks are you allowed in a day
Original post by Anonymous
when can/should you book for annual leave and how do you know which week you will be starting on from the schedule? do you give this to the bma to look at or your actual rota

how many /long breaks are you allowed in a day

You get one 30 min break on a shift <9 hours. That can be hard to take on some rotations though. That increase to two 30 min breaks on shifts up to 13 hours.
Reply 11
Does anyone know if I'm going to a 2-day national conference during my first rotation, if I should book time off as annual leave or study leave?
Original post by Zitka
Does anyone know if I'm going to a 2-day national conference during my first rotation, if I should book time off as annual leave or study leave?

It will be annual leave unless you have a very generous rota coordinator. All of your study days in foundation years are generally accounted for by the mandatory courses/study days you have to do.
Original post by Zitka

Probably annual leave, but worth asking. I got given a week of 'unofficial' study leave during FY1 because I was doing an exam - the consultant just said he wouldn't tell anyone :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by ForestCat
It will be annual leave unless you have a very generous rota coordinator. All of your study days in foundation years are generally accounted for by the mandatory courses/study days you have to do.

I thought it might be a long shot! :')
Reply 15
Original post by nexttime
Probably annual leave, but worth asking. I got given a week of 'unofficial' study leave during FY1 because I was doing an exam - the consultant just said he wouldn't tell anyone :tongue:

The plan was to be super nice to everyone when I arrive but now I'll be super extra nice.
Cn you get relocation/trvel expenses -who do you ask?

Can some one quicky go through roles/who to approach if need help as fy1
Like if you have sudden bereavment-who to contact-what do you do....
Role of fdpd,etc what is psu etc?
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
C an you get relocation/travel expenses -who do you ask?

Yes I would like to know as well. I am spending a fortune to partake in this 2 weeks induction.:frown:
Original post by H.E.R
Yes I would like to know as well. I am spending a fortune to partake in this 2 weeks induction.:frown:

Why spending a fortune to partake in induction. It is paid work.
Reply 19
Original post by Jamie
Why spending a fortune to partake in induction. It is paid work.

I am relocating from abroad and have to spend fees on visa, flights, covid tests etc. It is very expensive. Yes it is paid but I will get paid after I have spent the small fortune.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending