The Student Room Group

GLS / GLP Legal Trainee Scheme 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharleneH87
does anyone know when we are due to hear about results of the SJT?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-legal-service-gls-legal-trainee-scheme-how-to-apply--2#timetable

All dates are here :smile:
Original post by CharleneH87
does anyone know when we are due to hear about results of the SJT?

25th of June
thanks!!

Original post by makotoast
25th of June
Original post by Cclittle
I think I've read a similar question in previous threads but not sure if there was an answer: does anyone know if the LPC fee has to be repaid if we leave the GLP within certain no. of years (e.g. 2 years) after qualifying?

I spoke to a trainee solicitor last year and she said that you have to sign an undertaking to repay any GDL/LPC fees and maintenance payments if you leave before a certain number of years. The repayment is on a sliding scale. If she left after completing the LPC she would have to repay around £25K. After 4 years, £0. She was not on the GLD scheme. Perhaps CMA if I remember correctly. Each department seems to have a different approach.

However, once you become a government lawyer it seems unlikely that you are going to leave so the length of the undertaking will probably not matter. Of greater interest to me is the salary. She advised against putting GLD as my first preference as it seems that the other schemes pay more - https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-government-brexit-lawyers-fury-pay-freeze.
Thank you for the info! It's interesting because this year they provided a salary range for the trainees rather than just one salary for reference. Now it makes sense as you said that the GLD and other departments have different terms as well as start salary.
Original post by ManofBabylon
I spoke to a trainee solicitor last year and she said that you have to sign an undertaking to repay any GDL/LPC fees and maintenance payments if you leave before a certain number of years. The repayment is on a sliding scale. If she left after completing the LPC she would have to repay around £25K. After 4 years, £0. She was not on the GLD scheme. Perhaps CMA if I remember correctly. Each department seems to have a different approach.

However, once you become a government lawyer it seems unlikely that you are going to leave so the length of the undertaking will probably not matter. Of greater interest to me is the salary. She advised against putting GLD as my first preference as it seems that the other schemes pay more - https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/exclusive-government-brexit-lawyers-fury-pay-freeze.
Original post by Cclittle
Thank you for the info! It's interesting because this year they provided a salary range for the trainees rather than just one salary for reference. Now it makes sense as you said that the GLD and other departments have different terms as well as start salary.

Hiya, I’m hoping to apply next year! What was the salary information for this year’s cohort? Thanks!
Original post by bigeyeshijabi
Hiya, I’m hoping to apply next year! What was the salary information for this year’s cohort? Thanks!

Referring to the website: Salaries will vary according to department and location. As an indication, the salary range is between £29,000 to £37,000 for first year trainees and £33,000 to £40,000 for second year trainees. Please note that salaries and terms and conditions are subject to review.
Does anyone know the rough pass rate/percentile needed to pass the tests during this application?
Reply 48
Original post by lawdreamer23
Does anyone know the rough pass rate/percentile needed to pass the tests during this application?

Think it depends on the cohort but I imagine around 70%+
Original post by EH0lds
Think it depends on the cohort but I imagine around 70%+

I was thinking it must be around that as a baseline. Thank you very much!
Reply 50
Does anyone know what time SJT results are released today? Has anyone received them yet?
Reply 51
Original post by mxnxl
Does anyone know what time SJT results are released today? Has anyone received them yet?

Nope. If it isn’t at midday, I’d bet it’ll be at a completely random time this afternoon when someone hits a button.
Original post by mxnxl

Nothing yet. Hoping they all get released in one go and not split between succesful applicants and unsuccesful ones.
Last year I received my SJT result email at 17.30 on a Friday, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s similar this year.
(edited 2 years ago)
nothing yet, i had mine around 1pm last year inviting me to the verbal reasoning... but didnt get past that one.. will no doubt be the same this year haha
Anyone else going for the pupillage route?
I am, fingers crossed I get through to the next round
Reply 57
Original post by BarStudent77
Anyone else going for the pupillage route?

I am :smile: I didn’t pass the CRT last year, so fingers crossed for this year!!
After completing the SJT I didn't receive a confirmation email to say it had been submitted/received. Is this normal? Hopefully I'm not sat here waiting for results that will never arrive...
Original post by BarStudent77
After completing the SJT I didn't receive a confirmation email to say it had been submitted/received. Is this normal? Hopefully I'm not sat here waiting for results that will never arrive...

I didn't either. I just checked. I think (hope!) that's normal.

Original post by mxnxl

Not heard anything yet either :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending