The Student Room Group

do i need to do triple science to become an f1 engineer

I have just chosen my GCSE subjects and I choose triple science. Do I really need it to have a career in F1 I'm finding it quite difficult but it's only been the first few weeks but I do have time to change my mind and change to double. I just need some advice.Will it help me in the future

Thanks, Jack
Reply 1
You don't need to do triple Science but you are likely to need to do Maths ad Physics A level.
No, it is not a requirement. As long as you do well in your science GCSEs (no matter if you do triple or double) and be able to progress into the required A-level subjects - you will do good!
Original post by Compost
You don't need to do triple Science but you are likely to need to do Maths ad Physics A level.

Yes your GCSEs don’t matter really when it comes to uni as long as you have a required grade in maths and English. Some might be fussy but not often, as pupils sometimes aren’t allowed to do triple science for no good reason.

However if you have the option I strongly recommend you doing triple science. In physics especially there’s some useful things for engineering that aren’t covered in double science, so when you do physics and maths a level it will be a bit easier. And doing triple does generally make you look smarter on applications. It sounds petty but it’s true, like doing all heavy academic subjects is often seen as better than a few sporty subjects unless you’re doing sport specifically.
Original post by Jack Wrightson
I have just chosen my GCSE subjects and I choose triple science. Do I really need it to have a career in F1 I'm finding it quite difficult but it's only been the first few weeks but I do have time to change my mind and change to double. I just need some advice.Will it help me in the future

Thanks, Jack

Whether you become a F1 engineer or not, I'd totally recommend triple science.

Here are some reasons:
1) You get separate grades for each of the sciences (bio, chem, phys).
So basically if you do bad in physics, it won't affect your bio grade like it would for combined science.

2) You get lessons for each science every week, more often than combined science.
Might be different in other schools but in my school, the combined science kids did some topics in biology for a term and then say, chemistry the next term. So you may forget stuff more easily. In other words, for triple, you do all the sciences regularly.

3) Honestly, triple is just an extension to the normal science. Whereas, if you were to choose another subject, you might have to learn it from scratch (e.g. computer science).

4) Extra exam time.

I was reluctant to choose it at first, thinking it's hard but istg triple science really is not that bad. It's not harder, just more stuff to learn.
Combined science is like 2+2=4 and triple science is like 2+2+2=6. Idk if this helps but as you can see, you do more but it's not necessarily harder.

Also, you will treat triple science like 3 different subjects (bio, chem, phys) and not like in KS3 when it was just "science".

You're interested in F1 so triple physics may be helpful in preparation for A-level physics.

So yeah, idk if you're still reading this but hope this helps.
Original post by Jack Wrightson

Thanks, Jack

To be an F1 engineer;

well in the UK the term engineer can be used quite liberally. You can work in CFRP manufacturing/wind tunnel technician in F1 as an apprentice.

if you want to work in strategy or more technical development a STEM or engineering degree is necessary, and you’ll need a strong foundation in physics & maths. If you are interested in this pathway do triples science.
Original post by Londonschoolgirl
Whether you become a F1 engineer or not, I'd totally recommend triple science.

Here are some reasons:
1) You get separate grades for each of the sciences (bio, chem, phys).
So basically if you do bad in physics, it won't affect your bio grade like it would for combined science.

2) You get lessons for each science every week, more often than combined science.
Might be different in other schools but in my school, the combined science kids did some topics in biology for a term and then say, chemistry the next term. So you may forget stuff more easily. In other words, for triple, you do all the sciences regularly.

3) Honestly, triple is just an extension to the normal science. Whereas, if you were to choose another subject, you might have to learn it from scratch (e.g. computer science).

4) Extra exam time.

I was reluctant to choose it at first, thinking it's hard but istg triple science really is not that bad. It's not harder, just more stuff to learn.
Combined science is like 2+2=4 and triple science is like 2+2+2=6. Idk if this helps but as you can see, you do more but it's not necessarily harder.

Also, you will treat triple science like 3 different subjects (bio, chem, phys) and not like in KS3 when it was just "science".

You're interested in F1 so triple physics may be helpful in preparation for A-level physics.

So yeah, idk if you're still reading this but hope this helps.

Hi
Can u suggest book for triple science aqa gcse please
Kindly help
OH YOU ARE IN LUCK IF YOU’RE DOING AQA SCIENCE!!!!!

And guess what? U don’t even need any books.

The answer is freesciencelessons.

That guy is specific to the AQA spec. He’s literally a book in video form. No waffle. Everything he says is relevant. He quotes from the spec and makes everything very simplified and easy to understand.
Here’s how I got 9s in my sciences:
1) watch all his videos
2) take notes from every video
3) I started doing this late but I would recommend writing your notes ON AND AROUND THE SPEC

Why? Because there’s not a lot of space around the spec. Meaning u can only put what’s important and no waffling. I basically annotated my spec. So much easier to carry around and look back on compared to my initial notes. Trust me, it’s worth it.

4) EXAM QUESTIONS!!!
Make sure u do as many as u can. I personally wrote a lot of common exam qs on flash cards with answers on the back. U need to be familiar on how and what the mark schemes are like. I like to answer them in bullet points (like the mark scheme). Waffling doesn’t rlly work in science - unless ur guessing.

I found exam Qs here:
- Physics and maths tutor (YES)
- AQA website for past papers
- Ask ur teacher for exam Qs
- U can also check out some YouTube videos that do exam paper Walk throughs

U asked for book recommendations. I’m sorry but none of them were useful in year 10 and 11. I bought the CGP books but personally they were only rlly useful in year 9. The books are simplified but not always quoted from the spec (e.g there’s extra waffle). I guess they’re good for concepts but not particularly for the specifics. If u need any help understanding the concept, yeah u can go check a CGP. But don’t completely depend on it. Or just don’t get them - I survived very well without them.

Kerboodle book - same thing. Just go to them as a last resort if ur rlly stuck. Don’t buy these books. They’re rlly expensive and heavy.

Ur doing AQA. MAKE USE OF FREESCIENCELESSONS. He’s an actual life saver. I can’t stress it enough. FREESCIENCELESSONS. DO IT.

I did AQA and he boosted my grades soooo much (a grade 6 to a grade 9!!!).At the point when u completely trust that guy, u won’t even need any tuition either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hamesarun
Hi
Can u suggest book for triple science aqa gcse please
Kindly help

CGP revision guides are all you need. It covers everything on the spec and nothing extra.
Original post by hungrysalamander
CGP revision guides are all you need. It covers everything on the spec and nothing extra.

Is this enough 16297138424401620121562609515226.jpg
Original post by Hamesarun
Is this enough 16297138424401620121562609515226.jpg

Yea. Do as many questions on there as you can but do it on a separate sheet of paper/ipad so you can sell your books after you finish your GCSE’s.

Quick Reply

Latest