The Student Room Group

Biomedical science is it worth it?

Hi I’m not sure if I should take a biomedical science degree or not? Is it worth it? What’s the degree like? Job prospects? Starting salary and what’s the average/how high it can go up? I currently applied for pharma science but idk if I should stick to that as everywhere I read it says that the pharmaceutical related careers are now dead and finding a job would be really hard. Id appreciate any help!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymously.y
Hi I’m not sure if I should take a biomedical science degree or not? Is it worth it? What’s the degree like? Job prospects? Starting salary and what’s the average/how high it can go up? I currently applied for pharma science but idk if I should stick to that as everywhere I read it says that the pharmaceutical related careers are now dead and finding a job would be really hard. Id appreciate any help!

Some websites says that biomed covers most of medicine topics and modules. But some other people says it is a lot different. Biomed job prospects consists of :
Analytical chemist
Biomedical scientist
Biotechnologist
Clinical scientist, biochemistry
Clinical scientist, genomics
Clinical scientist, haematology
Clinical scientist, immunology
Forensic scientist
Medicinal chemist
Microbiologist
Physician associate
Research scientist (medical)
Toxicologist

However, in order to become an official biomedical scientist. It requires you to go through an accredited course by IBMS(or you can do top up modules). Biomed is a very wide and general course. I also applied for this Bsc biomed because I'm unsure on which career path to pursue. So my plan is this, while I was studying the 3 year biomed, I will think about which career path to pursue. So if I'm interest in genomic, then maybe I'll do master in genomic medicine. I'll specialized in my master degree.
Reply 2
Original post by jkng
Some websites says that biomed covers most of medicine topics and modules. But some other people says it is a lot different. Biomed job prospects consists of :
Analytical chemist
Biomedical scientist
Biotechnologist
Clinical scientist, biochemistry
Clinical scientist, genomics
Clinical scientist, haematology
Clinical scientist, immunology
Forensic scientist
Medicinal chemist
Microbiologist
Physician associate
Research scientist (medical)
Toxicologist

However, in order to become an official biomedical scientist. It requires you to go through an accredited course by IBMS(or you can do top up modules). Biomed is a very wide and general course. I also applied for this Bsc biomed because I'm unsure on which career path to pursue. So my plan is this, while I was studying the 3 year biomed, I will think about which career path to pursue. So if I'm interest in genomic, then maybe I'll do master in genomic medicine. I'll specialized in my master degree.

This isn't the a good ug degree in my opinion. Only having a Bsc in biomed doesnt give you a good pay job, compared to the pharmacy or engineering. Biomed salary in US is about 70000. But in UK its only 29000.
Original post by jkng
This isn't the a good ug degree in my opinion. Only having a Bsc in biomed doesnt give you a good pay job, compared to the pharmacy or engineering. Biomed salary in US is about 70000. But in UK its only 29000.

Yea from what I’ve seen US pays more for the science related degrees when compared to here, can I ask what universities did you apply to and what have you planned to go to? I’m considering to go thru clearing but I’m worried I won’t meet the grade requirements for the better universities
Reply 4
Yea from what I’ve seen US pays more for the science related degrees when compared to here, can I ask what universities did you apply to and what have you planned to go to? I’m considering to go thru clearing but I’m worried I won’t meet the grade requirements for the better universities

I applied for university of birmingham, the Bsc Biomedical Science. I didn't take A levels, I'm having my foundation in science(University of nottingham), this week is my last semester finals. I got a conditional offer. I'm really not sure what to pursue in this science field, but i feel like all the career in biomed is quite interesting to me. For example, physician associate and theres a high demand in it. So as genomic medicine and biotech, coz they say this field is developing very quickly due to the genetic editing tool CRISPR CAS9. UK salaries are very low compared to US, but some says its people living expenses and rental fees are very high in US, but who knows until u've actually been through this change.
Reply 5
Original post by jkng
I applied for university of birmingham, the Bsc Biomedical Science. I didn't take A levels, I'm having my foundation in science(University of nottingham), this week is my last semester finals. I got a conditional offer. I'm really not sure what to pursue in this science field, but i feel like all the career in biomed is quite interesting to me. For example, physician associate and theres a high demand in it. So as genomic medicine and biotech, coz they say this field is developing very quickly due to the genetic editing tool CRISPR CAS9. UK salaries are very low compared to US, but some says its people living expenses and rental fees are very high in US, but who knows until u've actually been through this change.

My grades in foundation is really bad, i got average 65 for chem only, and 76 for bio, and 80 for math(and a lot of others subjects) . Maybe its because university of nottingham has a relationship with UoB, thats why they accepted me even tho I didnt do well ? Or maybe because I'm an international student and we pay more fees?
Original post by jkng
My grades in foundation is really bad, i got average 65 for chem only, and 76 for bio, and 80 for math(and a lot of others subjects) . Maybe its because university of nottingham has a relationship with UoB, thats why they accepted me even tho I didnt do well ? Or maybe because I'm an international student and we pay more fees?

Ah your scores don’t seem that bad, they offer foundation courses for a lot of courses and allow you to get into it so dw about that. Good luck! I’m considering to go thru clearint
Reply 7
Ah your scores don’t seem that bad, they offer foundation courses for a lot of courses and allow you to get into it so dw about that. Good luck! I’m considering to go thru clearint

Which uni are you applying to ?
Original post by jkng
Which uni are you applying to ?

I’m not sure cuz I applied for a different science course at different universities
Reply 9
I’m not sure cuz I applied for a different science course at different universities

Ohh okayy. Anyways good luck !
Original post by jkng
Ohh okayy. Anyways good luck !

Thank you. Good luck to you as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending