The Student Room Group

Sports Day Memories

It is Olympic season now, so let's have some sports talk!
Do you have some great memories participating in Sports Days at school?
My school has both an athletics and a swimming sports day, with compulsory attendance, and compulsory participation for the former. The scoring system was a house system used since 2015. My best memory came in the swimming one for the year 2020, the last sports day before covid broke out.
I took part in two individual events, the 50m freestyle and the 50m breast stroke.
The year before, I narrowly missed out on the final in both events. I was desperate to make the final of the 50m freestyle, so I trained hard to get to the 37-39 second mark, the estimated cutoff of the event for A-grade (born in 2003 or before, as of 2020).
As usual, a lot of competitors did not show up. I finished my heat (against just three other people) in the 38-second mark, reaching the HK standard for boys A-grade (39 seconds) for the first time ever. I then watched the next heat by the side. Their fastest guy had a time over 40 seconds. I was cheering as my time should be enough to make it into the final. And it turned out to be enough, as I was seeded sixth! The cut off was rather high that time, in the mid-42s mark.
Because of such a good result, my house captains put me in the boys A-grade team for the 4x50m relay.
For the 50m breast stroke I deliberately missed out on the final, in order to preserve energy for two races in the afternoon. I allowed two people to pass me in the last few seconds, as the fight for 8th seed went down to the wire. I came 10th overall, the same position as in 2019.
My previous highest ranking in 50m freestyle was an overall 7th place for the B-grade in 2018. I am targeting a top-5 finish, and should be able to make it. After some warm up I was back on again, in lane 2. I heard some people chanting my name from my house's section on the stand.
I achieved my personal best in the event, in the high 37s, and was fifth overall. This was a great result for me. The relay came next, and I was the first leg. I picked freestyle for my leg, and finished it with a time in the 36s. Getting faster than 37 proved touch to me but it was truly possible. I helped my team to a bronze, narrowly missing out on a silver.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Why?
Being the fat kid, always coming last.
Reply 3
Original post by DiddyDec
Being the fat kid, always coming last.

I came last in 400m twice in a row (2018 and 2019)
Reply 4
I love sports. I’m actually on the lead up to surgery on my ankle which will take me off sports for 3 months, so I’ve been reminiscing quite a lot.
In the 2020 house swimming gala when I was in Y8, my relay team had to be bumped up to swim against Y11 due to our house’s Y11 team having been entered into too many events. I was swimming 3rd leg and we were in 4/5. I literally swim the fastest I could, and got us to first! On the 4th leg we fell to second, but I was stoked nevertheless. That was the last time I swim before the pandemic hit, I think.
In primary, I did lots of athletics. In relays, I always ran 3rd leg. In an inter-school county competition, we were 5/8, and I pushed myself so hard that I got us to 1st! And with our 4th leg, the gap just widened and we won by miles and got a really nice medal haha.
Also going to throw in my feat from last week. I got off at a new stop on my school bus, thinking that it was an 8 minutes walk to the train station, to catch the train to go on holiday that set off in 20 minutes. Upon looking at the satnav, my friend and I had miscalculated and it was an 8 minutes DRIVE, but a 35 minutes walk!!
Now, I didn’t want to wait and extra 2 hours at the train station, so I set off running. It was a 2 and a half mile run, and I had a really heavy bag on my back, I was carrying two full water bottles, had my hoodie around my neck, was holding my phone in the other hand to navigate, I hadn’t taken my inhaler in months (I always forget to) AND it was 25°.
I swear I was about to pass out halfway to the station. I kept running and I sounded like a dying pig. I wasn’t even wearing sports clothes.
In the end, I made it with about 2 minutes to spare, and it was the proudest I have ever been lol. I hadnt run long distance since before catching corona a few months back, and I was not at all prepared. First thing I’m going to do after recovering from surgery? Work on my long distance running so I’m always prepared 😂
Sorry, just wanted to throw in that little story from last week because I still can’t believe I made it while carrying 10 kilos 🥳
I don't really remember much about sports day, I have a feeling I missed most of them. I did 12,000m in year 11 and came last (but was running against the school athletics team and county champion), and my relay team came second, I think. It was good not to be doing lessons but otherwise it felt pretty pointless.
Everything in high school is terrible memories. I was absolutely miserable every day. My biggest regret is not moving schools
Original post by Moonlight rain
Everything in high school is terrible memories. I was absolutely miserable every day. My biggest regret is not moving schools

Can relate to that a lot. I was in a school where I was extremely happy for a year and then had to move again and was honestly just miserable for the rest of my time at school :frown: Being in the right school makes such a huge difference.
Original post by black tea
Can relate to that a lot. I was in a school where I was extremely happy for a year and then had to move again and was honestly just miserable for the rest of my time at school :frown: Being in the right school makes such a huge difference.

That's so sad. I moved houses like every year or 2 years and even had to travel 2 hours to get to and the thought of changing schools never came up in my head. Urgh it makes me so mad thinking about my poor decisions in life but life goes on :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by deskio
I love sports. I’m actually on the lead up to surgery on my ankle which will take me off sports for 3 months, so I’ve been reminiscing quite a lot.
In the 2020 house swimming gala when I was in Y8, my relay team had to be bumped up to swim against Y11 due to our house’s Y11 team having been entered into too many events. I was swimming 3rd leg and we were in 4/5. I literally swim the fastest I could, and got us to first! On the 4th leg we fell to second, but I was stoked nevertheless. That was the last time I swim before the pandemic hit, I think.
In primary, I did lots of athletics. In relays, I always ran 3rd leg. In an inter-school county competition, we were 5/8, and I pushed myself so hard that I got us to 1st! And with our 4th leg, the gap just widened and we won by miles and got a really nice medal haha.
Also going to throw in my feat from last week. I got off at a new stop on my school bus, thinking that it was an 8 minutes walk to the train station, to catch the train to go on holiday that set off in 20 minutes. Upon looking at the satnav, my friend and I had miscalculated and it was an 8 minutes DRIVE, but a 35 minutes walk!!
Now, I didn’t want to wait and extra 2 hours at the train station, so I set off running. It was a 2 and a half mile run, and I had a really heavy bag on my back, I was carrying two full water bottles, had my hoodie around my neck, was holding my phone in the other hand to navigate, I hadn’t taken my inhaler in months (I always forget to) AND it was 25°.
I swear I was about to pass out halfway to the station. I kept running and I sounded like a dying pig. I wasn’t even wearing sports clothes.
In the end, I made it with about 2 minutes to spare, and it was the proudest I have ever been lol. I hadnt run long distance since before catching corona a few months back, and I was not at all prepared. First thing I’m going to do after recovering from surgery? Work on my long distance running so I’m always prepared 😂
Sorry, just wanted to throw in that little story from last week because I still can’t believe I made it while carrying 10 kilos 🥳

I also had a similar situation in an All The Stations challenge, but for the HK version with Light Rail.
Between my second and third trains, I needed to walk 750m to another stop. According to the app, the next train arrival time at the other station was listed as:
751 Yau Oi 5 mins
And it was an important one, as the 751 is the only route passing through the station. Google Maps calculated that I would narrowly miss the train. I lost my way, and the app showed 4 minutes already. I then found the correct way and ran around 800m to the stop. Then I saw the 751 pulling into the stop as I tapped in.
I had three further rushes, two of which were back to back. I rushed between platforms after I got off the 751 (was 29/68 in) to catch the 614P which was leaving in a minute. The other two were between my seventh train (another 614P) and my eighth one, a 610 leaving in a minute, in my 43rd stop. Then it was a tap off, a platform cross and another tap on after the 610 and my ninth train, another 751. This contributed to a great finish of 2 hours and 51 minutes, beating the previous record by 18 minutes.
Luckily at my high school only year 7-9 had to do sports day which was good because I hated everything about it but if I had to think back then my favourite sports day was when I worked for my schools radio stations live broadcast meaning I didn’t have to do it and got to sit sunbathing all day whilst ensuring the broadcast didn’t fail (I was the station engineer).

Other years when I was required to participate I picked all the lazy sports like wheelchair shotput or a maths challenge basically anything that wasn’t a strenuous or required much effort.
Original post by Moonlight rain
That's so sad. I moved houses like every year or 2 years and even had to travel 2 hours to get to and the thought of changing schools never came up in my head. Urgh it makes me so mad thinking about my poor decisions in life but life goes on :frown:

I don't think you can blame yourself for poor decisions, you were just a kid and there is no guarantee that you would have been happier if you moved. I was only happy in 2 out of my 8 schools. Sorry you had such a rough time :hugs:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Fresher18
Luckily at my high school only year 7-9 had to do sports day which was good because I hated everything about it but if I had to think back then my favourite sports day was when I worked for my schools radio stations live broadcast meaning I didn’t have to do it and got to sit sunbathing all day whilst ensuring the broadcast didn’t fail (I was the station engineer).

Other years when I was required to participate I picked all the lazy sports like wheelchair shotput or a maths challenge basically anything that wasn’t a strenuous or required much effort.

I was a timekeeper in the 2018 sports day for the 800m, 1500m, 3000m and relay races (we have two 3000m races, and the others have six races each. The relays include 4x400 and 4x100)
I was the one who confirmed a new official record for the girls A-grade 1500m.
Sports day was just an afternoon, so they could not do all events on the day. So I volunteered for those that were held beforehand and on the day, they just announced the results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending