The Student Room Group

Freshers

What is freshers week? Why do you have to get tickets? and what for?
Reply 1
Freshers Week is the first week of university, before any classes properly start. You can take the opportunity to relax, meet other students, party, sign up for society, and loads of other things - I am sure other people can give better examples than I can. Tickets would be for specific events, but not everything will need a ticket, so don't worry. When you go to university, all will be explained in more detail.
In the day time it’s fairly boring you get shown a round talks about all the facilities at the university sight up for the doctor (which you’ll hopefully never use enroll you know all the stuff you need to do you’ll also have some introductory lectures and they are pretty good (That’s why your there of course) and some labs (of course they are fun.). The centre price of day time stuff is the freshers fair and sport and rec fair where there are all the societies that you can join most will have introductory secession to find out if you like it because some will be a bit unusual or something many people haven’t tried before like octopush. At night though that’s like one long party there is always something going on (don’t miss Wednesday it’s always mad.).. Then things calm down a bit once you get to know people and things you’ll kind of fall into a routine that works for you it’ll still be fun but not as mad as the first week.
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!
Freshers Week, also known as Welcome Week or Orientation Week, is a special time at the beginning of the academic year when new students are welcomed to the university. It typically takes place before regular classes begin and is filled with various activities, events, and social gatherings. The purpose of Freshers Week is to help new students settle into university life, get to know their campus and surroundings, and meet fellow students. It's an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the university's facilities, support services, and student organizations. During this time, you may attend orientation sessions, campus tours, academic workshops, and social events.

Now, regarding the tickets for Freshers Week, it's common for universities to organize a range of events and activities throughout the week, some of which may require tickets. These tickets are usually for special events such as live performances, concerts, comedy shows, parties, or themed nights. The purpose of ticketing these events is to manage capacity and ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all participants. Universities often sell Freshers Week tickets in advance, either online or through physical outlets on campus. The ticket prices can vary depending on the event and may range from free to a nominal fee. It's a good idea to keep an eye out for ticket sales and plan ahead to secure your place in any events that interest you.

Attending Freshers Week events can be a fantastic way to make new friends, get involved in the university community, and have fun before your academic workload increases. While not all events require tickets, they can offer unique experiences and create lasting memories of your first week at university. I would recommend checking your university's website or contacting your student union or student services office for specific information about Freshers Week events, ticketing, and any other details relevant to your university. Enjoy your Freshers Week experience!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Hello!

As an international student, I was terrified about establishing friends at my new university and in my new country. However, Fresher’s Week was quite beneficial to me. Fresher’s Week is a customary event held at the start of each academic year at many universities. Its primary goal is to welcome incoming students (commonly "fresher’s":wink: to campus and provide them with opportunity to socialize, learn about the school and its amenities, and participate in various activities and events.
Universities and student unions organize a variety of activities and events during Fresher’s Week, including orientation sessions, campus tours, club and society fairs, sporting events, parties, and more. These events are designed to acquaint freshmen to the both the social and academic sides of university life, as well as to help them meet and make friends with other students.
Obtaining tickets for Fresher’s Week events is needed for admission. This is done mostly to manage the number of people and prevent events from becoming overcrowded. Organizers can create a safe and pleasurable environment for all participants by limiting the number of attendees. Ticketing systems enable them to keep track of the quantity of tickets sold and control access to specific locations or events.
Typically, universities sell individual event tickets that include access to various activities throughout Fresher’s Week. These tickets may have benefits such as priority entrance or reduced costs. Purchasing tickets allows students to reserve their seats for popular events, ensuring that they do not miss out on any activities that interest them over the week.
The specific structure and organization of Freshers' Week may differ between universities, but the overall goal remains consistent: to welcome new students, assist them in settling into university life, and establish an enjoyable and interactive atmosphere to facilitate their transition to university.
I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador

Hey there!
Freshers week usually is the week everyone moves into their accommodation and is the week before university starts properly. During this week, your uni will usually offer you some sort of welcome week activities and a chance to meet your coursemates. There will also be the sports societies and regular societies fairs which you can book onto so I'd make sure you're checking your university's website in the weeks before you move in. There will also be freshers nights out and events planned by events companies which will have cheap drinks and tickets. You can buy a wristband from a particular events company that will give you access to all their events that week but I would suggest not doing this until you find your flatmates as you may all buy different ones and waste your money. There will be all sorts of events going on, at Hallam they host all sorts including nights out, block parties, sports society night and I even remember going to a student festival during freshers week last year.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending