The Student Room Group

Which med schools accept a level bio and psychology?

Which do, I’m possibly doing bio psychology and history

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ghostface6001
Which do, I’m possibly doing bio psychology and history

Why are you not taking A-Level Chemistry if you want to do Medicine?
Original post by 5hyl33n

Feel like it might be hard tbh seen the past papers and it’s scary lol

A-Level Chemistry is not that difficult. :lol:

Looking at past papers and making a decision without knowing any of the content is a bad idea.

It's not impossible to do Medicine without A-Level Chemistry but you will be limiting your options:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422
Reply 4

Going to take a guess that medicine is harder :tongue: A level chemistry really isn't as bad as people say if you keep on top of it though, much easier to just learn the facts and get a good grade than in something like biology which is much heavier on key words and longer writing from what I've heard. Chemistry was probably my easiest A level aside from maths!
Original post by 5hyl33n
A-Level Chemistry is not that difficult. :lol:

Looking at past papers and making a decision without knowing any of the content is a bad idea.

It's not impossible to do Medicine without A-Level Chemistry but you will be limiting your options:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Really? So why does everyone say it’s so hard? Is the jump from gcse big
Original post by Interea
Going to take a guess that medicine is harder :tongue: A level chemistry really isn't as bad as people say if you keep on top of it though, much easier to just learn the facts and get a good grade than in something like biology which is much heavier on key words and longer writing from what I've heard. Chemistry was probably my easiest A level aside from maths!

How do u find the jump from gcse, and is chem just memorisation mainly?
Really? So why does everyone say it’s so hard? Is the jump from gcse big

It's definitely hard if you do not keep on top of the work. Although, you could say that about any A-Level.

I think some students (including myself) find A-Level chemistry hard at times because of the problem-solving skills involved as well as having 3 areas (physical, organic and inorganic) to master. If you are confident in one area (e.g. physical) but weak in another area (e.g. organic) it can definitely affect your overall performance, especially in the synoptic questions.

Do you have any specific questions about A-Level chemistry? :smile:
Reply 9
what gcse grades are you heading for?
Original post by ajj2000
what gcse grades are you heading for?

As and A* ia (b in maths tho
Original post by 5hyl33n
It's definitely hard if you do not keep on top of the work. Although, you could say that about any A-Level.

I think some students (including myself) find A-Level chemistry hard at times because of the problem-solving skills involved as well as having 3 areas (physical, organic and inorganic) to master. If you are confident in one area (e.g. physical) but weak in another area (e.g. organic) it can definitely affect your overall performance, especially in the synoptic questions.

How hard is the maths? I struggle with maths and equations ngl
As and A* ia (b in maths tho

Well done! those are great grades. When you've spoken with people who had a tough time with A level chemistry what sort of grades did they start it with? No denying its tough but you sound to be in a great place to tackle it.
Original post by ajj2000
Well done! those are great grades. When you've spoken with people who had a tough time with A level chemistry what sort of grades did they start it with? No denying its tough but you sound to be in a great place to tackle it.

Thankyou, and I feel like they’re ok but not all 9s😂 and I mean with GCSEs specifically science, I put no effort until jan, I was getting 2-2 in combined science then I worked my ass off and within 3 months got a 7-7 ma, although the boundaries were 2019 and kind of low so yh, I reckon if I stay on top of the work and keep my head down I should be good ia?😅
How hard is the maths? I struggle with maths and equations ngl

The mathematical skills required in A-Level Chemistry is not THAT intense. As long as you can rearrange simple equations, make x the subject of an equation, multiply and divide simple numbers, converting between units etc you will be fine.

I think mathematical skills form around 20% of your overall grade, so not too bad.
Original post by 5hyl33n

There’s a handful of unis that accept bio and psych, I just don’t want to work hard for chem if I wouldn’t need it for a specific uni
Original post by 5hyl33n
The mathematical skills required in A-Level Chemistry is not THAT intense. As long as you can rearrange simple equations, make x the subject of an equation, multiply and divide simple numbers, converting between units etc you will be fine.

I think mathematical skills form around 20% of your overall grade, so not too bad.

I mean the moles questions are something else😭
I mean the moles questions are something else😭

:lol:

If you are really that against A-Level Chemistry, I don't advise that you take it.
Original post by 5hyl33n
:lol:

If you are really that against A-Level Chemistry, I don't advise that you take it.

But I really want to get into medicine so do I just put up with it and do it (tbh I don’t mind it it’s just confusing to me) or shall I go for unis that accept bio an psych
Original post by 5hyl33n

Can you do an apprenticeship in biology without taking chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending