The Student Room Group

Switching courses/degree

Hi, so I wanted to do law my entire life so when it came to A-levels I picked law, sociology and film studies (all essay based subjects). I never really thought of a plan b because that is the only thing I wanted to do. Two years and a pandemic later I don't want to do it because of how awful the a-level was.

I want to do English lit with creative writing now because it seems like something I would enjoy but I needed to do English at A-level and now I'm so scared they won't let me do it. I was thinking surely all schools are different and I wont need to know anything specific prior to uni because everything is taught fresh for everyone but I'm not sure.

Help please!! (Any thoughts?)
I'm confused. Are you in uni at the moment? If so, are you looking to switch to the course while staying at your current uni?
Reply 2
Its too much of a personal decision for me to tell you what to do

Either list out the pros and cons of doing each, and do the option with the most Pros
OR
get a friend who represents Law, you English and play Rock Paper Scissors up to 1, whoever wins, you do
A quick Google search tells me that UWE, Bangor, Huddersfield all don't require English at A-Level. Options are there for you. There are likely multiple other unis which don't require any English A-Level, so I don't see the issue?
Reply 4
but i don’t just want any uni that doesn’t require the a-level. i have some unis in mind but most of them want the english a-level. also i’m not in uni now but i will be in hopefully in september
Original post by coco88
but i don’t just want any uni that doesn’t require the a-level. i have some unis in mind but most of them want the english a-level. also i’m not in uni now but i will be in hopefully in september

Take a gap year and sit English lit a level (and lang too if you want to study full time).
This autumn, go to some in-person Uni Open Days and listen to a variety of subject presentations - what you study at A level is not the same as doing a degree in the same subject. This is especially important if you now want to change lanes to English - you haven't studied it since GCSE. Make sure that the critical theory etc at degree level isn't also going to 'put you off'.
Original post by coco88
Hi, so I wanted to do law my entire life so when it came to A-levels I picked law, sociology and film studies (all essay based subjects). I never really thought of a plan b because that is the only thing I wanted to do. Two years and a pandemic later I don't want to do it because of how awful the a-level was.

I want to do English lit with creative writing now because it seems like something I would enjoy but I needed to do English at A-level and now I'm so scared they won't let me do it. I was thinking surely all schools are different and I wont need to know anything specific prior to uni because everything is taught fresh for everyone but I'm not sure.

Help please!! (Any thoughts?)

Hi there,

Choosing what to study at university can be incredibly difficult, so it's great to see that you're doing your research and finding out which options are available to you.
We have a variety of English courses available at Bangor including courses with a foundation year and courses that do not require English A Level, you can have a look at everything that we have available here.
If you're looking to start this September you can register your interest in Clearing now.

I hope this gives you encouragement that you can study English without dong the A Level! Please let me know if you have any questions at all or would like some more information, I would be happy to help :smile:
Anna

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending