The Student Room Group

Is this sexual assault or is this fine

On the weekend my friend saw something happen where she was at a bar with her friends and this guy had his arm around her friends waist she didn’t look uncomfortable by it and she didn’t say no get off and we’re questioning whether that’s sexual assault or it’s fine to do and then they stopped serving drinks at 11 and there was loads on these guys table and as a joke one of the guys said “u can help us share these if we can have a kiss” the girls said nothing just laughed but had a drink with them anyways and one of the boys was tipsy and got up before they all left and asked the girl for a kiss and was tapping her shoulder to get her attention and she let him kiss her on the cheek but we don’t know if that was so he’d go away. He didn’t use force and the girl didn’t say no however she was walking away about to leave and he followed her trying to get her attention however he didn’t kiss her on the cheek until she let him so we’re in a debate whether that’s completely fine what the lad did or if it’s sexual assault as we don’t know if she let him kiss her so he’d go away and didn’t ask to put his arm on her waist even though at the time she seemed fine with it.
when im talking to a guy at a bar and I like him then I have no problem with him putting his hand around my waist. If she was okay with it then there was no problem. The following the girl to kiss her is a bit iffy and it might be badgering and pestering but I cant speak for if the girl minded or not. She may have liked it/been fine with it/not cared/ annoyed/uncomfortable. Its too hard to judge intentions and reactions over the internet
Original post by flamingolover
when im talking to a guy at a bar and I like him then I have no problem with him putting his hand around my waist. If she was okay with it then there was no problem. The following the girl to kiss her is a bit iffy and it might be badgering and pestering but I cant speak for if the girl minded or not. She may have liked it/been fine with it/not cared/ annoyed/uncomfortable. Its too hard to judge intentions and reactions over the internet

Yeah true but some of my friends were saying this could be sexual assault and I just thought he was being a bit of an idiot
Original post by Jayylarr
Yeah true but some of my friends were saying this could be sexual assault and I just thought he was being a bit of an idiot

Yeah it really depends. I’ve gotten annoyed at guys if I’m not attracted to them but I’ve never considered it sexual assault as they generally back off it really depends
Yeah it really depends. I’ve gotten annoyed at guys if I’m not attracted to them but I’ve never considered it sexual assault as they generally back off it really depends

What would u think/have done if u weren’t exactly attracted to them and this happened?

Would u have reported the person or just thought Jheez what a weirdo
What would u think/have done if u weren’t exactly attracted to them and this happened?

I'd have probably walked off or told him I wasn't interested or turned to chat with a friend.
Would u have reported the person or just thought Jheez what a weirdo

Neither. Id just think he wanted to get with me and got a bit carried away or was a bit drunk. Id probably just forget about it tbh
Reply 8
On the weekend my friend saw something happen where she was at a bar with her friends and this guy had his arm around her friends waist she didn’t look uncomfortable by it and she didn’t say no get off and we’re questioning whether that’s sexual assault or it’s fine to do and then they stopped serving drinks at 11 and there was loads on these guys table and as a joke one of the guys said “u can help us share these if we can have a kiss” the girls said nothing just laughed but had a drink with them anyways and one of the boys was tipsy and got up before they all left and asked the girl for a kiss and was tapping her shoulder to get her attention and she let him kiss her on the cheek but we don’t know if that was so he’d go away. He didn’t use force and the girl didn’t say no however she was walking away about to leave and he followed her trying to get her attention however he didn’t kiss her on the cheek until she let him so we’re in a debate whether that’s completely fine what the lad did or if it’s sexual assault as we don’t know if she let him kiss her so he’d go away and didn’t ask to put his arm on her waist even though at the time she seemed fine with it.

No this is not sexual assault...

he asked and got permission......, tbh even if he didn't ask and just tried to kiss her it might not be sexual assault if he reasonably believed she wanted to kiss him (eg: they were vibing/flirting a lot and she was getting into his personal space, staring longingly into his eyes..)
Original post by ANM775
No this is not sexual assault...

he asked and got permission......, tbh even if he didn't ask and just tried to kiss her it might not be sexual assault if he reasonably believed she wanted to kiss him (eg: they were vibing/flirting a lot and she was getting into his personal space, staring longingly into his eyes..)

We don’t think she wanted to I think the only reason he did it was because she had the drink with them after his friend made that joke about they can finish the drinks for a kiss and she had a drink with him she wasn’t flirting but they was vibing and she touched his arm to move the drinks when the staff said no sharing so she was in his space.
It does seem a bit like mild sexual assault, but I will give this friend the benefit of the doubt.

Quick Reply

Latest