The Student Room Group

Do you need to complete an extra project to get into the top CS Unis?

Apart from my CS A Level NEA should I start an extra project to put in my personal statement when applying to the top universities?
Yeah you should
Original post by AmithNandakumar
Apart from my CS A Level NEA should I start an extra project to put in my personal statement when applying to the top universities?

Hey Amith,

I'm currently studying Computer Science, finishing up my placement (sandwich) year in industry before heading back to university in October for my final year.

Doing extra/personal projects are a great way to boost your application, since it shows your own interests, your independent thinking and a bit of your own character. It's also a fab opportunity for you to learn new skills or mess around with new technology, potentially leading to great networking opportunities with others - consider contributing to open source projects or starting your own.

They're also great for your future career aspirations. A strong GitHub profile of past work will put you in high regards amongst future employers, even if there's a load of unfinished projects on there (which is most people's GitHub profile, mine included).

Good luck!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep :h:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey Amith,

I'm currently studying Computer Science, finishing up my placement (sandwich) year in industry before heading back to university in October for my final year.

Doing extra/personal projects are a great way to boost your application, since it shows your own interests, your independent thinking and a bit of your own character. It's also a fab opportunity for you to learn new skills or mess around with new technology, potentially leading to great networking opportunities with others - consider contributing to open source projects or starting your own.

They're also great for your future career aspirations. A strong GitHub profile of past work will put you in high regards amongst future employers, even if there's a load of unfinished projects on there (which is most people's GitHub profile, mine included).

Good luck!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep :h:

Thank You, I have similar projects already, do they have to be public, or do I have to provide images and proof or do I just have to state I have worked on a project

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending