The Student Room Group

Above and beyond for AI

I have to write my personal statement over the summer (I'm looking to do cs at uni) and one of the work experience placements I've done has made me realise my interest in AI. What extra curricular work can I do to show that I've gone beyond my syllabus and done something to show my interest in AI which I can write about in my personal statement?

Also I'm really unsure on how to write an introduction that stands out and is unique so any tips would be helpful
Reply 1
Original post by bears15
I have to write my personal statement over the summer (I'm looking to do cs at uni) and one of the work experience placements I've done has made me realise my interest in AI. What extra curricular work can I do to show that I've gone beyond my syllabus and done something to show my interest in AI which I can write about in my personal statement?

Also I'm really unsure on how to write an introduction that stands out and is unique so any tips would be helpful

Hi there, CS student here! It's worth doing online courses to mention in your ps (personal statement) I'd recommend checking out 'Short Courses on FutureLearn - make sure to select the 'free digital upgrade' option so that you can get a certificate of completion when you've finished the course. I've done a few on there myself and am actually working on an AI course they have on there by Accenture. (they also have samsung courses too).

Another thing you could do is virtual work experience via Forage (Only takes a few hours and you get a free certificate for that too!) Unidays also offers free microsoft courses so that's also useful

In regards to your ps you can talk about your fascination with ai as it is designed to mimic the human mind, what interests you about it, what you want to explore with it, any experience with ai and the importance of it etc
Original post by bears15

For anything computer science, I would be looking at computer projects that you can do by yourself. It's usually not a subject you can read about or study via books.

Sample projects that come to mind include:

ChatGPT clone using LangChain

Using Python and PowerBI for AI algorithms in data science projects

Fiddling around with MidJourney images, or looking to make a clone of this

Using AI to build a day trading algorithm that trades automatically, whilst refining its trading strategy over time and in different scenarios

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube and you can always google for those on websites.
I would also use ChatGPT to help with the coding, since it's not something that's particularly easy to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending