The Student Room Group

Housing benefits!!??

Hi, does anyone know if you can still get housing benefit as a full time student? I'm aware that I cannot get living costs or child support costs but some articles such as shelter and turn 2us say you can get the housing element if you have dependents. I spent the last year doing an access course once I finished mat leave and I have already had to forfeit my nursing offer as I have no childcare for shifts, I have been accepted on to educational studies with psychology and am terrified to go to the course as my maintenance loan doesn't give me enough to live on, 1100 a month, my rent is 650,I have 3 sons, 2 are young adults and cost alot to feed, my bills are 500 to 700 pounds although I am looking for reductions such as abandoned TV licence and using apps only, rent is astronomical, houses in Nottingham are 100 quid more now than I pay for absolute dumps or smaller than what I have.... Basically I can't go to university if I don't get help with rent which is soul destroying, I have waited 22 years and lost my dad to covid in January, it was his dream for me to go and he died before he knew I got in ☹️... So I wondered if anyone knows if rent help is possible or gets it and how it works etc, I have always worked in mental health and youth homes but wanted to get a degree before my youngest child starts school in order to provide for us comfortably, ty in advance
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by DOLLYD123!
Hi, does anyone know if you can still get housing benefit as a full time student? I'm aware that I cannot get living costs or child support costs but some articles such as shelter and turn 2us say you can get the housing element if you have dependents. I spent the last year doing an access course once I finished mat leave and I have already had to forfeit my nursing offer as I have no childcare for shifts, I have been accepted on to educational studies with psychology and am terrified to go to the course as my maintenance loan doesn't give me enough to live on, 1100 a month, my rent is 650,I have 3 sons, 2 are young adults and cost alot to feed, my bills are 500 to 700 pounds although I am looking for reductions such as abandoned TV licence and using apps only, rent is astronomical, houses in Nottingham are 100 quid more now than I pay for absolute dumps or smaller than what I have.... Basically I can't go to university if I don't get help with rent which is soul destroying, I have waited 22 years and lost my dad to covid in January, it was his dream for me to go and he died before he knew I got in ☹️... So I wondered if anyone knows if rent help is possible or gets it and how it works etc, I have always worked in mental health and youth homes but wanted to get a degree before my youngest child starts school in order to provide for us comfortably, ty in advance

Contact the Citizens Advice, they’ll do a full benefits check & rough calculation for you based on all of your circumstances, and signpost you to additional support in your area.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lojawa
Contact the Citizens Advice, they’ll do a full benefits check & rough calculation for you based on all of your circumstances, and signpost you to additional support in your area.

Thank you, good idea, I may book an appointment as its difficult to get through on the phone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending