The Student Room Group

Exam clash at two exam centres!!

I need some help/advice!!
I am sitting my A level exams this summer across two different exam centres. It is not possible to sit them all at one. The centres are 30 minutes apart. On one day there is an exam clash. What do i do about this?? Will i be allowed to sit the exam at a different time in one centre? And how would this work because supervision is required? Please help someone

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yasmin7263
I need some help/advice!!
I am sitting my A level exams this summer across two different exam centres. It is not possible to sit them all at one. The centres are 30 minutes apart. On one day there is an exam clash. What do i do about this?? Will i be allowed to sit the exam at a different time in one centre? And how would this work because supervision is required? Please help someone

I didn't think the finalised timetable was published ... I strongly recommend you look for a centre where you can do both.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
I didn't think the finalised timetable was published ... I strongly recommend you look for a centre where you can do both.

The provisional timetables have been published. It is not possible to do them at any other centres. This is the only option
The provisional timetables have been published. It is not possible to do them at any other centres. This is the only option

Yes but the FINAL timetable is the one that will be used; wait for that.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Yes but the FINAL timetable is the one that will be used; wait for that.

Do provisional timetables often change?
Do provisional timetables often change?

They do if enough schools point out issues.
Reply 6
What is the reason why one centre can't enter you for both subjects?

If the clash remains then there are 4 options:

Get entries for both A levels made at the same centre

Get one of the clashing exams transferred (there's an official process to do this) to the other centre so you can sit them one after the other at a single centre. (If they total more than 3 hours you can do one in the other session of the day but you will have to be supervised between one exam and the next)

One of the centre staff drives you to the other centre in exam isolation after sitting the first exam and you remain in isolation until you have completed the second exam,

You don't take both exams.

Reply 7
Original post by EOData
What is the reason why one centre can't enter you for both subjects?

If the clash remains then there are 4 options:

Get entries for both A levels made at the same centre

Get one of the clashing exams transferred (there's an official process to do this) to the other centre so you can sit them one after the other at a single centre. (If they total more than 3 hours you can do one in the other session of the day but you will have to be supervised between one exam and the next)

One of the centre staff drives you to the other centre in exam isolation after sitting the first exam and you remain in isolation until you have completed the second exam,

You don't take both exams.

Will it cost extra to have the exams transferred? And are the exam centres likely to agree to this? Im resitting an A level at my sixth form and i dont have to pay for it because its my first exam after CAGs. Im also doing an A level as a private candidate through the exam centre. My sixth form wont host me for the private candidate exam .
Reply 8
Will it cost extra to have the exams transferred? And are the exam centres likely to agree to this? Im resitting an A level at my sixth form and i dont have to pay for it because its my first exam after CAGs. Im also doing an A level as a private candidate through the exam centre. My sixth form wont host me for the private candidate exam .

It depends a bit from exam board to exam board and the circumstances but yes, it generally costs to transfer an exam (around £40 from memory plus any admin charge the centre adds)

The simplest solution for everyone is almost always 1. - as an EO I hate transferred candidates as it's far more likely to generate admin mistakes and lost papers and so loads more admin at a time when you're really busy. What is the subject you're going as a private candidate?
Reply 9
Original post by EOData
It depends a bit from exam board to exam board and the circumstances but yes, it generally costs to transfer an exam (around £40 from memory plus any admin charge the centre adds)

The simplest solution for everyone is almost always 1. - as an EO I hate transferred candidates as it's far more likely to generate admin mistakes and lost papers and so loads more admin at a time when you're really busy. What is the subject you're going as a private candidate?

The extra A level im doing at the exam centre is chemistry. And i am retaking statistics and psychology at my sixth form. The statistics and chemistry clash
Reply 10
The extra A level im doing at the exam centre is chemistry. And i am retaking statistics and psychology at my sixth form. The statistics and chemistry clash

I presume the reason your old school won't let you take Chemistry there is because they can't support you completing the practicals. Ask if they're willing to let you take the exam(s) there by them being transferred form the other centre.
Original post by EOData
I presume the reason your old school won't let you take Chemistry there is because they can't support you completing the practicals. Ask if they're willing to let you take the exam(s) there by them being transferred form the other centre.

Yes u are correct and I asked and they said no. I dont know what to do
Reply 12
Yes u are correct and I asked and they said no. I dont know what to do

When the timetable is confirmed and if it's still an issue I'd ask again explaining why it is important to you.,
Original post by EOData
When the timetable is confirmed and if it's still an issue I'd ask again explaining why it is important to you.,

Okay i will. Thank you for your help!
You'll do it at the next available slot if it's in the morning that'll be in the afternoon at the other exam centre however if the exam is in the after noon you'll do it the next day. I don't exactly know how they'll do that. I was told when I did my GCSE's that if you had a clash we'd be isolated until the rescheduled exam that means no phone no internet no radio or TV.

I think I actually found the isolation room at my school it was opposite My head of years office it had a light a clock a desk a really uncomfortable chair a bed that looked really hard and a shower. that was basically it you would I suspect be isolated either at the centre or in a hotel with a teacher opposite that would be better because it's probably more comfortable you can watch TV and order room service and a wake up call.

The other option is you would retake it in the retake period (when people who couldn't be there for XYZ reason retake it will be an exam with different questions so you won't need to be isolated IMHO that is a much better option.

As many have said though that is just the provisional time table things might change in the final one if not you'll probably sit it at another time hopefully later that day if not the next day.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
You'll do it at the next available slot if it's in the morning that'll be in the afternoon at the other exam centre however if the exam is in the after noon you'll do it the next day. I don't exactly know how they'll do that. I was told when I did my GCSE's that if you had a clash we'd be isolated until the rescheduled exam that means no phone no internet no radio or TV.

I think I actually found the isolation room at my school it was opposite My head of years office it had a light a clock a desk a really uncomfortable chair a bed that looked really hard and a shower. that was basically it you would I suspect be isolated either at the centre or in a hotel with a teacher opposite that would be better because it's probably more comfortable you can watch TV and order room service and a wake up call.

The other option is you would retake it in the retake period (when people who couldn't be there for XYZ reason retake it will be an exam with different questions so you won't need to be isolated IMHO that is a much better option.

As many have said though that is just the provisional time table things might change in the final one if not you'll probably sit it at another time hopefully later that day if not the next day.

Thanks for your response. When is the retake period? And would i be eligible to do it in this time?
Thanks for your response. When is the retake period? And would i be eligible to do it in this time?

I'm sorry that a lot of that post was wrong - the issue is getting you to the other centre when you have to be in isolation. There is no retake period ...

I'm not sure I got the impression it was sometime in September but never having needed to make use of it I'm really not sure.
Reply 18
Original post by jonathanemptage
I'm not sure I got the impression it was sometime in September but never having needed to make use of it I'm really not sure.

In a normal year there isn't one - you re-sit the following Summer. In 2020 and 2021, purely because of CAGS/Covid, there is an opportunity to re-sit in October. This is very unlikely to happen in 2022 if actual exams happen in Summer 2022.
Original post by EOData
In a normal year there isn't one - you re-sit the following Summer. In 2020 and 2021, purely because of CAGS/Covid, there is an opportunity to re-sit in October. This is very unlikely to happen in 2022 if actual exams happen in Summer 2022.

If my exam centres still dont allow the transfer arrangement then is it possible to withdraw from the resits and my sixth form and enter at the private centre instead? Or will it be too late to withdraw once an entry has been made?

Quick Reply

Latest