The Student Room Group

why do some apprenticeships ask for one years experience?

they are really everyones last resort to get you into employment?
Reply 1
There are a few factors; some businesses don't want the added expense or time of training someone for longer; it prevents hiring new people who join and then decide halfway through the apprenticeship that they don't like the field; finally sifting, they ask for experience to stop too many people applying.

it's definitely a crap system, as how are you meant to get the experience in some jobs if their entry position is an apprenticeship :/
Reply 2
Original post by cvw94
There are a few factors; some businesses don't want the added expense or time of training someone for longer; it prevents hiring new people who join and then decide halfway through the apprenticeship that they don't like the field; finally sifting, they ask for experience to stop too many people applying.

it's definitely a crap system, as how are you meant to get the experience in some jobs if their entry position is an apprenticeship :/

so if I was to start with a level 2 apprenticeship, will they ask for one years experience? as opposed to a level 3 apprenticeship that asked for the one years experience.

I want to be a property administrator, initially wanted to do admin, I got administrator experience as a volunteer and as an estate assistant, I decided to combine both roles and continue with the property route as I may prefer it more than admin, only problem is by the time I finish my estate assistant role (2 months time), its only going to be 6 months work experience (contract is 6 months). I need one years experience in property but there are no estate agent volunteer roles?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anon346775
so if I was to start with a level 2 apprenticeship, will they ask for one years experience? as opposed to a level 3 apprenticeship that asked for the one years experience.

I want to be a property administrator, initially wanted to do admin, I got administrator experience as a volunteer and as an estate assistant, I decided to combine both roles and continue with the property route as I may prefer it more than admin, only problem is by the time I finish my estate assistant role (2 months time), its only going to be 6 months work experience (contract is 6 months). I need one years experience in property but there are no estate agent volunteer roles?

It's down to the employer, apprenticeships don't really have formal entry requirements (with the exception of higher apprenticeships, then you'd have to meet the universities entry requirements). It's their preference if they want to hire someone with or without experience.

You could email or call businesses and ask if they hire apprentices with no or 6 months experience? Or you could call around housing charities and see if they are taking volunteers if that would count towards your property experience?
Original post by Anon346775
they are really everyones last resort to get you into employment?

Yeah it's a bit strange that they ask for experience, it should be their duty to provide training

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending