The Student Room Group

Engineering apprenticeships

I’m going into year 13 soon and I’m planning to apply for a degree apprenticeship in engineering. Does anyone know if I can use different personal statements for different applications? Or do I have to use the same one every time?

If anyone has completed, is currently in or knows any tips about the application process for degree apprenticeships in engineering I’d love to hear it.

I have a few companies in mind that I’m going to apply to (e,g, Airbus), but if anyone knows other companies that offer engineering degree apprenticeship lemme know, most I’ve seen are 4 or 5 years, I’m not a huge fan of any longer than 5 years and I sometimes struggle to even find that information, but if you know mention that too please.

This is getting kind of king but basically I’ll take any information or advice you have cause applications are opening soon (October/November time) and I’m getting kind of stressed out here 😅
Original post by steph.niji
I’m going into year 13 soon and I’m planning to apply for a degree apprenticeship in engineering. Does anyone know if I can use different personal statements for different applications? Or do I have to use the same one every time?

If anyone has completed, is currently in or knows any tips about the application process for degree apprenticeships in engineering I’d love to hear it.

I have a few companies in mind that I’m going to apply to (e,g, Airbus), but if anyone knows other companies that offer engineering degree apprenticeship lemme know, most I’ve seen are 4 or 5 years, I’m not a huge fan of any longer than 5 years and I sometimes struggle to even find that information, but if you know mention that too please.

This is getting kind of king but basically I’ll take any information or advice you have cause applications are opening soon (October/November time) and I’m getting kind of stressed out here 😅

Hey! Well done you for planning ahead. Degree apprenticeships are great opportunities and it sounds like you're already looking into them.

In terms of personal statements, if you can tailor the statement to the company/role you're applying for then that's best. It's a lot more time consuming, but you stand a better chance of standing out because it proves you've done your research.

Out of interest, do you have a specific engineering sector in mind? I notice you mention Airbus (so I'm assuming Aerospace might be something you're considering) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by brainzistheword
Hey! Well done you for planning ahead. Degree apprenticeships are great opportunities and it sounds like you're already looking into them.

In terms of personal statements, if you can tailor the statement to the company/role you're applying for then that's best. It's a lot more time consuming, but you stand a better chance of standing out because it proves you've done your research.

Out of interest, do you have a specific engineering sector in mind? I notice you mention Airbus (so I'm assuming Aerospace might be something you're considering) :smile:

I’m considering quite a few different fields, so yes aerospace but also aeronautical, civil, electrical and possibly biomedical :smile:
Reply 3

You can, and probably even should, use different personal statements for different applications. Cater and adjust your application to the role.

I am halfway through a degree apprenticeship in Manufacturing Engineering right now. My tips for interviews would definitely be:
1. Be confident (even if you have to fake it)
2. Show you understand instructions, ask for clarification if needed
3. Don't be scared to apply to positions you don't think you will get
4. Show that you can work well in a team if there are team exercises. It's best to take the lead, but if you have a strong leader in the group, don't fight just make sure you're all cooperating well, offer support to other applicants.
5. Research the company, bring up some of the info in the interview
6. Make sure you're prepared for all of the basic questions (Why engineering? Why this company? Why an apprenticeship? What are you strengths and weaknesses? Tell me about the time you have to use problem solving... etc.)

Most degree apprenticeships are 4-5 years long. The government sets the standard average time at 60 months, so don't feel discouraged by the commitment.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Reply 4
Original post by Mara1680
You can, and probably even should, use different personal statements for different applications. Cater and adjust your application to the role.

I am halfway through a degree apprenticeship in Manufacturing Engineering right now. My tips for interviews would definitely be:
1. Be confident (even if you have to fake it)
2. Show you understand instructions, ask for clarification if needed
3. Don't be scared to apply to positions you don't think you will get
4. Show that you can work well in a team if there are team exercises. It's best to take the lead, but if you have a strong leader in the group, don't fight just make sure you're all cooperating well, offer support to other applicants.
5. Research the company, bring up some of the info in the interview
6. Make sure you're prepared for all of the basic questions (Why engineering? Why this company? Why an apprenticeship? What are you strengths and weaknesses? Tell me about the time you have to use problem solving... etc.)

Most degree apprenticeships are 4-5 years long. The government sets the standard average time at 60 months, so don't feel discouraged by the commitment.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi, thank you so much for the advice. I did have one question. I’ve registered interest at quite a few companies, is this the actual application or will I have to submit another official application?
Reply 5
Hi, thank you so much for the advice. I did have one question. I’ve registered interest at quite a few companies, is this the actual application or will I have to submit another official application?

I'm not exactly sure by you registered interest. If you submitted an application it would be pretty self-explanatory. It usually involves attaching your CV or answering questions about your education, work experience, personal details etc. There usually are additional questions as well kind of interview-style like why do you want to do an apprenticeship etc. "Registering Interest" makes me think of more like subscribing to updates about the position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending