The Student Room Group

Are GCSE further math same as A level?

I have no experience with this subject, but logic would dictate that no, they're not the same, otherwise why separate them into two classifications?
Original post by Louislululu

Of course not GCSE is like year 4 maths compare to A level further maths

no, but gcse further math is a "good" preparation for a level math, at least that's what people says
Reply 4
Not at all. It's a Level 2 qualification just like GCSE Maths.
@Muttley79 may have more to say but I'm fairly sure Further Maths covers topics that aren't in A-Level Maths and therefore doesn't give as much as a headstart in A-Level Maths as people think

No it isn;t - it's a level 2 [GCSE] - it isn;t worth the time. It's FAR better to focus on getting good grades in all your GCSEs.

I teach Maths and we don't use it - we get amazing results at A level.
Original post by summerbirdreads
no, but gcse further math is a "good" preparation for a level math, at least that's what people says

No it's not really.
Original post by Muttley79
No it's not really.

really? so it's not true?
Original post by summerbirdreads
really? so it's not true?

If all the GCSE spec is taught and the teacher points out how the topic is extended in the sixth form that works JUST as well. We also set summer holiday prep.

Level 2 FM covers stuff that is not even in A level and takes us time you could be using on ALL your GCSEs.

What is further maths GCSE equivalent to....
The AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics is an untiered Level 2 linear qualification for learners who: either already have, or are expected to achieve, grades 7, 8 and 9 in GCSE mathematics.

Is further maths an AS level......
AS and A level Further Mathematics are two separate qualifications that can be taken alongside or following AS/A level Mathematics. They both broaden and deepen the maths covered in AS and A level Mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest